It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

nk223 HB User
Anyone with brown skin had any success with brown marks?

I have olive/brown skin (i'm indian) and after all my acne has finally gone i am left with lots of brown/red marks. I was wondering if anyone with a similar skin type and scarring has had any success in fading these blemishes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #2

Sahuja1 HB User
Re: Anyone with brown skin had any success with brown marks?

Hi,
I am Indian too. I also have the same problem as you. Well, I have a few left (which are pretty light) which I am trying to get rid of. But I will tell you what has worked quite a bit for me. Firstly Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion works well, but only to a point. It helps to fade initially but then it stops. But it helps. Then, you are Indian so I am sure you have heard about Fair and Lovely. Well, I think the Fair and Lovely soap is very good for fading marks as well as for acne. I have these stubborn marks on my left cheek which I am trying to completely fade. I am currenlty using a cream called "Scar Zone". I have only used it for a week so no major change yet. Problem is, as Indians things like chemical peels could affect the color of our skin so its kind of dangerous...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #3

SkinTastic HB User

Where can I buy Fair and Lovely? I wanna try it. I have this stubborn dark marks that i wanted to lighten.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

Fair and Lovely works really well, but it takes up to 6-8 weeks. It can be found at local indian grocery store.
But be aware, it can cause breakouts for some ppl.

I have used Black Opal, found in local drugstores.. the soap is designed for ppl of color and i use a cleanser called Daily Fade Cleansers.. It works pretty well.. i have stopped using it for awhile.. but im back to using it tonight.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
(male)

CursedSkin HB User

i have brown skin and mandelic acid seems to work

Old 01-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #6
(female)

nk223 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions.....at the moment i'm in 2 minds as to whether to just wait these marks out or attack them with everything going! I'm worried that if i do nothing they won't go and i would have wasted 6-12 months of potential treatment time but then i'm equally worried about using anything that will make them worse and it seems that every potential treatment has the potential side effect of worsening these darn things! Any suggestions on this front?

I totally agree that brown skin can react badly to peels etc. so i am trying to avoid them, although lots of people keep recommending them so i am tempted. I might give fair and lovely a go, does anyone know what the active ingredient is in it?

At the moment i'm currently using mandelic acid serum 10% as lots of people seem to swear by it, i've only been using it for a week so there has been no change in my marks but the rest of my skin is glowing! I'm a bit concerned that it might not do anything as i don't seem to be having any visible peeling, but then again maybe that's a good thing. I'll keep using it though as it doesn't seem to be doing any harm at least....I'll keep you posted on my results.

Good luck to all of you with trying to get rid of your scars. Let me know if you make any breakthroughs!

Old 01-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #7

kiki101 HB User

Hey I'm indian and only like 2 months ago I had moderate acne. I managed to clear it up quickly and fade the brown spots. The truth is that you have to completly get rid of the acne first. I use a glycolic clenser and a glycolic moisturizer at night and get a mild glycolic peel (only 20%) which helps so much! But I've noticed that drinking tons of water and eating right also helps . Also exercize is a must (sweat all you can). Although many people think sweat is bad it is actually really good provided you take a shower right afterwards. Not only does it clear your skin of bacteria which causes acne it also exfoliates which is a must for getting rid of brown spots. Lastly you have to stay out of the sun and wear a sun block everyday even if it raining. UV rays make dark spots worse. The truth is that you just have to forget about them and they go away. I asked my derm. about them and he told me that I just have to wait it out but that I would be just fine.

Closed Thread