It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #1

harmony6 HB User
crying

i met this boy i like.. he has perfect skin, when we hang out i feel so self consicious.. my skin is so scarred and so full fo acne its disgusting. I 'm on retina micro.. 10 week.. no results, couldn't get a derm. appt. utnill the end of february. I'm going crazy. I just wanna really go on accutane.. i 've heard so many good things. What do you think? Please i need helpp.. i cry all the time, don't wanna do stuff becauyse of my acne. Also please tell me yoru opnions on retin-a micro, cetaphil lotion, and acctuane! Also to the ladies, could you guys tel me some goo dmake w/ good coverage and won't make my acne worse?? Please help.. i need help

Old 01-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #2

afakeleg HB User
Re: crying

id read the post about Whats Worked and What Hasnt, its 2 down from yours. has some really good tips on what to try.. and dont worry so much, itll only make em worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

IsabellaC22 HB User

When I first met my boyfriend I was so jealous he had beatuiful, perfect skin. I was always self-conscious about my face in front of him. Until one day we started talking and he told me in high school he had horrible acne and had to go on accutane and since then hes never had another breakout. This made me feel sooo much better just knowing that he knows what I am going through. So don't worry this guy might also have had skin problems or some other problems we are all human.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #4

cadence HB User

I know how you feel. I went through that forever. I had acne for seventeen years. I'm thirty now and have finally figured out how to heal it. I had tried everything...and I do mean everything. Accutane, antibiotics, proactiv, chemical peels, diet changes, every product ever invented.

This is what finally worked for me:
I take-
ortho tricyclen
alpha lipoic acid
DMAE
Chelated Zinc
A good multi vitamin with copper...to balance the zinc because it depletes copper.
I wash my face with cetaphil cleanser.
I don't use any fabric softener on my pillow cases and I wash them regularly. I'm careful to not get hair care products on my face or pillow cases.
I avoid foods that give me I glycemic response (blood sugar) but I don't really watch my diet other than that.
I also worked on the "inside" a good book: healing the shame that binds you by john bradshaw.

For the scarring I use retin A 0.1% once a week and I use Susan Ciminelli's Sea Clay mask three times a week with her sea water. Her products are expensive but they really do work. This will make you peel. Like a home face peel. I use a dermanew home microdermabrasion system twice a week to help with the peeling. This has completely healed my scarring. (I really thought I was going to have to get laser treatment, I can't even believe it) I had really bad acne and oily skin for what seemed like forever, it was painful and incredibily humiliating. I had large pores, blackheads, cysts, scars you name it.
Now I have tiny pores, no acne and can go without make up if I want. Unbelievable.
Literally I went from having such a bad breakout that it was too painful to even wash my face and I couldn't leave the house... to four weeks later......nothing not a spot. I started all of it at the same time about two months ago. Anyway I have no idea if this will work for anyone else but I thought I would share it just in case.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

harmony, remember how I said that things seem really bad when you're not doing anything about them? Well, I think what you've got to do is get on the phone and find a new dermatologist straight away. Don't put it off. Don't be discouraged if you can't find one straight away. Keep making calls 'til you've got an appointment within the week. I'm sure it must be possible.

Please do this (or maybe ask someone to make enquiries on your behalf) because it upsets me to think that you're hurting so much over this when somebody could be helping you. As I told you Accutane is a wonder drug and if it's what you want then you shouldn't hesitate to find a dermatologist who'll perscribe it to you. When you get your appointment specify that Accutane is what you want.

I know it's impossible for me to ask you this, but please try not to cry. I shead a few tears yesterday over the stuff I told you about before. But it doesn't get me anywhere. When you're next crying try to tell yourself that all the pain could start to go away if you just stopped crying and put your energy into doing something positive. I hope this doesn't sound cheesy or dogmatic - I genuinely can't stand the thought of you, or anyone, feeling so helpless.

By the way, harmony, thank you for recommending Sublime. I've been listening to various tracks of theirs and I quite like it. You don't hear much reggae-oriented music in the UK these days. I've also been listening to the new Air album "Talkie Walkie" (they're on a downward spiral, if you ask me), Basement Jaxx's "Kish Kash" (usual Jaxx style of some knockout tunes and some mediocre filler), and Rob Dougan's "Furious Angels" which I missed when it was released and is mostly outstanding ("One And The Same" is a beautiful song).

Also, harmony, I'm thrilled to hear you met a guy you like. Again, I know how hard it is not to be affected by your appearance in such situations, but try to relax and enjoy the attention. Let him put a smile on your face and give you something special to keep you awake at night instead of something negative. And please really do think about getting a new dermatologist as soon as you can. Please tell us when you do

Old 01-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #6

harmony6 HB User

Thank you everyone so much. I appreciate all of your responses. I'm working on finding a new derm. but we only have only that is covered by insurance (the one i cant get an appt. with until february).
Jhart- I feel like i k now you becuase we have talked so much. I apperciate every word you always say to me. You honestly make my day alittle bit brighter. I"m glad you like sublime, and i'm sorry that you cried a little the other day. That is rough, but you are so strong about everything. I know that it is good that i have found this amazing boy, but i just wonder if he wold still like me if my acne gets worse, and I"m so happy when i think about him , but so nervous and ashamed that he has to look at my skin. I just wish i had my appt. so i wouldn't feel so helpless. Hopefully my tears will stop soon, and I will become very strong ( I hope so badly). Thanks so much Jhart.
Thank you everyone, more responses would be appreciated so much! Thanks all.. have a great night!

Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I apologise for not understanding your predicament. In the UK we can get a referral from the general practioner (family doctor) to a local dermatologist and if they're no good we return to the GP for a referral to another one. The only thing that depends on whether or not we've got private health insurance is how long we wait to see the dermatologist. I guess things are a bit more complicated in the US.

This boy (boyfriend?) will probably continue to like you even if you grow a third arm. I know exactly how you feel about not looking your best around him. But I bet he's got his own personal hang ups about stuff, too. My advice is to take things slowly so you build up confidence and trust in one another. Believe me, if you do that then you will stop feeling nervous about your appearance and start enjoying yourself more. Night

Old 01-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #8

harmony6 HB User

jhart- thanks so much. I appreciate everything that you say. And yes, i hoip eyou are right about the boy liking me no matter what. I just need to stop worry about all this so much. But easier said then done, huh? Anyways, thanks.

Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

well, as alot of us know, at our age the only cure for acne is diet, a good variation of working topicals, and the wonder vitamin Pantothenic Acid, otherwise known as Vitamin B5, a guy named prometheus posted a diet regime that works very well, its a few pages down, i recommend u try this out, it's very useful

Closed Thread