It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #1

pinupvirgin HB User
Red face post-partum acne blues...

hi everyone..Let me introduce myself, much as I wish I didn't have to! I am a 32 year old woman, with pretty bad acne right now, cystic & your usual run of the mill whiteheads. I have never had acne like this in my life, just some teenage year zits, nothing big. Well, right now I am on Keflex, 1000mg a day, that I obtained from the emergency room physician due to an abcess...right on my cheek, lovely.... I had a daughter 5 1/2 months ago, & since then, it's been nothing but skin trouble. I breastfeed, which does crazy things to your hormones, which can cause acne. I tried to get into some lcoal dermatologists when I awoke to this huge cyst on my face yesterady- they are booked up for about 3-4 months. Called my primary care doctor, earliest appointment with him is next week, & even then it's with a nurse practictioner. SO- I chose the emergency room when I got out of work this AM, cause my face was so swollen it was scaring me.Anyway, I found this board while looking up acne resources on the internet. I empathize with so many of you- I can't stand to be around anyone right now, & I wish my boyfriend (who is totally sympathetic) would move out until my face clears up. Figures, my wknd is full of family activites & crap where I can't hide out. I only want to be arond my little girl because she is too young to be frightened by my horrendous appearance. I hate this. I have a few questions for you all- anyone ever use Proactive? Does it work? And as far as antibiotics go, what about the Keflex? I'm sure it'll clear up the abcess, but beyond that I don't know. How long does it take for an antibiotic to start working? And are any of you mothers with similar experiences? Sigh...well I am glad to have found this place, though I am freaking out big time right now about my face. And it figures that all the zits are on my face also- why not some other HIDDEN place?!?! Hah! any replies would be nice. thanks! oh yeah, the doctor also recommended hot compresses. Anyone else use these ever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran

Testament HB User
Welcome to the board! I used proactive for about 5 months... did absolutely nothing. Many people on this board are negative against the product. The people that say it helped for them said it didnt last long and eventually quit. I tried the hot/cold presses for a couple days but eventually stopped for some reason. Got tired of doing it I guess. I figure I have my acne under control to some degree now. My biggest problem is my body acne... I really want that to be clear for summer time.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2003, 03:03 PM   #3

lifehouse HB User
Ugh, I know how you feel. My skin was worst during and after pregnancy. The hormones made my skin crazy. And as if I didn't feel gross enough--fat, tired etc. and to have zits too was too much. I will say my skin cleared a good bit when I stopped nursing, but I finally went back on Accutane 6 months ago (my younger son is now 2 yrs. old) and finally cleared up after trying Proactiv, Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide, Nature's Cure etc....A lot of acne treatments aren't recommended while nursing, which was another problem. I had to just wait it out. After my first son, my skin cleared a lot on its own after I quit nursing, but the second time, it was different. My skin stayed really oily and gross until the Accutane. Thank heavens it's clear now. I totally feel for you! Good luck.

Old 03-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Hi, I'm 39 and I feel your pain.If your face is as bad as it sounds you will probably have to stick with prescription medications for a while.Over the counter stuff won't help severe acne.I am suffering with severe acne right now also.I have hundreds of red pimples all over my face with huge dark red blotches all over.Every time I wash my face and look in the mirror they have multiplied.I have never in my life had this bad of acne either.I started taking Spironolactone and Skinoren this month but so far it is only getting worse and I am getting deeper and deeper depressed.I'm thinking about going to see a derm.I think I need Accutane.I just want to cry.Please see a Derm and try to save your face before it gets so bad like mine that you don't even look like a human being anymore.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
yep, its really stupid to have clear butt cheeks and pimply facial cheeks lol

i know what you mean

id much rather have butt acne!

Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #6

pinupvirgin HB User
I'll take some butt acne, please! Thanks for the replies, people. I KNEW that Proactive stuff was a load of crap! Oh yeah, I can really see how terrible acne made your life, Vanessa Williams!!! Maybe I'll win the next Ms. America pageant once the Keflex kicks in. Hahaha! I am hoping the antibiotic will work for the time being- I really do not want to quit nursing my child, but am not sure I could handle another 10+ months of this. And I truly believe this whole mess started with the birth of my little girl. Weirdly enough, during pregnancy my skin never looked better. Accutane scares the hell outta me, especially after reading some of the experiences people have had. I suppose if it was a last resort, I'd take it. I never knew anything about the "initial outbreak" phase, yuck. I really think the worst part of acne is the major blow to your self esteem... I can handle a lot, but after years & years & years & years, it just gets WEARING, if you know what I mean. PS- forgot to add that I am in fact going to my regular doctor, next Thursday. And they BETTER get me into a derms office ASAP!

[This message has been edited by pinupvirgin (edited 03-15-2003).]

Closed Thread