It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2004, 11:30 PM   #1

honeybearkitty HB User
Essential Oils for Acne? Tea Tree Oil is just one of the many...

I've read a lot about Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba Oil, etc... for acne, but haven't yet tried it myself.

Anyway, I went shopping with my sister today, and we passed a store that makes perfumes, candles, lotions, soaps, etc... from fragrance oils. It got me interested in aromatherapy, so I did some searching on the internet and came across some websites selling, not only fragrance oils, but essential oils as well. This led me to some that were recommended for acne.

Here is the quote:
"When choosing essential oils to add to your skin care routine you would look for oils that have anti-inflammatory, astringent and balancing properties. Oils with anti-inflammatory properties that will help reduce painful irritation and swelling include Roman and German chamomile, clary sage, frankincense, helichrysum; lavender and patchouli. Oils with astringent properties to help control the oiliness of the skin include cedarwood, frankincense, geranium, juniper, lavender, neroli, palmarosa, and rosewood. Oils with balancing properties that may help to normalize oil production while they improve the condition of the skin include geranium, helichrysum, lavender, palmarosa, rosemary and sandalwood. Oils with antiseptic properties include niaouli, petitgrain, palmarosa, patchouli and tea tree."

Has anyone tried essential oils? Please tell me of your success/failure with this....

Many of these oils are considered "skin sensitizer and irritant(s)" according to Paula Begoun.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User
Re: Essential Oils for Acne? Tea Tree Oil is just one of the many...

Tea tree oil didn't work for me... just smelled bad

Old 01-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I personally like the smell of Tea Tree oil and found that a cleanser with Tea Tree oil stopped me breaking out for a while. But then my skin got used to it and the acne soon came back. But maybe that's because I have quite severe acne. If yours isn't so severe then it might help in the longer term. It does have a drying effect and can sting wounds so be careful how much you use

Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 PM   #4

honeybearkitty HB User

bump......

Old 01-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

j54 HB User

Hey, I have used straight tea tree oil (diluted to 15% from the body shop) on zits when they pop up and I think it worked pretty well. It definitely wasn't as harsh as using something like benxoyl peroxide - and studies have found that it works as well as 5% BP, but maybe a bit slower. I ran out of it last week and kept meaning to buy more, but it does smell quite a bit cos I put it on at night my boyfriend now associates that smell with me! So I might give it a break and see what happens. I don't think any oils like tea tree or jojoba block pores, I have heard good things about both of these.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

unruhe HB User

Tea tree oil didn't work for me either. But I really do like The Body Shop's Tea Tree oil pressed powder. If you're gonna buy a powder, you might as well buy one that may help your skin and isn't tested on animals.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart999
I personally like the smell of Tea Tree oil and found that a cleanser with Tea Tree oil stopped me breaking out for a while. But then my skin got used to it and the acne soon came back. But maybe that's because I have quite severe acne. If yours isn't so severe then it might help in the longer term. It does have a drying effect and can sting wounds so be careful how much you use
Jhart i don't mean to be nasty here, but i understand you are on a diet similar ot prometheus's?, and you seem so knowledgable about acne, id of expected you to be 100% clear of acne, has your skin improved as of lately? im interested on your progress .

Closed Thread