It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #1

hotrodheads2004 HB User
Talking Blueberries

I have tried so many things the last 19 years that I had almost given up and decided to live with my acne problems when I came down with a sore throat. And before I go any further, I believe that foods and herbs are our medicines, after being on many antibiotics and treatments for numerous things that I decided that natural was better. Well this sore throat was awful!!! So of course after three days of dealing with the pain I went to the grocery store and bought garlic and frozen fruits. I bought blueberries, raspberries, peaches, strawberries and blackberries. After trying one smoothie with a little of everything I had decided that all was good, but the blueberries were the best because they didn't have the seeds that came with the others and some weren't as tasty. So I made my normal chocolate soy smoothie but with a whole bag(12 oz.) of blueberries, by morning I was 99.9 % better so I decided to stay on this regimen until I got my immune system back in shape. Within 5 days my face was drying up and making drastic changes!! The only thing I can figure is the antioxidants in the blueberries were helping my acne. It has now been about 3 weeks and I am still on the same routine and still very little acne. At the least, a small pimple once or twice. Sometimes I will use orange juice(100%) and blueberries for a change. But I will not stop the blueberries!!! EVER!!! I have been on Pro-Active since September and nothing quite this drastic has happened with it although better than most acne systems I have used. I have been on Accutane, tetracycline, Retin-A, Differin.etc.. You name it and I have done it religiously!! Let me know what you guys think okay Kandie!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: Blueberries

Berries are definitely renowed for their anti-oxidant properties. Do you still eat 12 ounces every day?

Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #3

hotrodheads2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart999
Berries are definitely renowed for their anti-oxidant properties. Do you still eat 12 ounces every day?

Yes I am still eating that many. I am scared to stop now that my face is better. And it is definitely not hurting me either. It helps me to get my 5 to 10 veggies and fruits a day!! My energy has shot thru the roof also. I actually drank a smoothie about 8 lastnight and couldn't fall asleep for nothing. The only thing I can figure is it was my smoothie with blueberries keeping me up. Also I don't run out and bye the most expensive blueberries out there. I buy Best Choice at 2 dollars a bag. I probably won't quit unless it is for test purposes, just to see if my face breaks out, but that will be a long time because 19 years of zits is plenty of time to have them, so I am going to enjoy my time without them and not push it. Thanks for asking, Kandie.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive

prometheus HB User

that's awesome, Kandie! I'm eating strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries right now

Old 01-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Inactive

prometheus HB User

recipe for blueberry kanten, a really great fruit pudding that is completely acne friendly

2 Cups Organic Apple Juice

2 Tablespoons Kanten Flakes.

(Kanten is a type of sea vegetable harvested from the coastal waters of Japan. It can be used just like gelatin but is far healthier, as it is rich in minerals and hard-to-come-by trace elements. You can get it at health food or specialty stores.)

1 Cup Fresh or Fresh-frozen Berries.

(you can also use raspberry, blackberry, or strawberry)

Dissolve kanten in juice. Bring to boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until kanten melts. Let sit for 10 minutes before gently mixing in berries. Place in refrigerator to set and it will be ready in about 30 minutes. This serves 2–4 people depending upon size of the servings.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #6

hotrodheads2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
recipe for blueberry kanten, a really great fruit pudding that is completely acne friendly

2 Cups Organic Apple Juice

2 Tablespoons Kanten Flakes.

(Kanten is a type of sea vegetable harvested from the coastal waters of Japan. It can be used just like gelatin but is far healthier, as it is rich in minerals and hard-to-come-by trace elements. You can get it at health food or specialty stores.)

1 Cup Fresh or Fresh-frozen Berries.

(you can also use raspberry, blackberry, or strawberry)

Dissolve kanten in juice. Bring to boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until kanten melts. Let sit for 10 minutes before gently mixing in berries. Place in refrigerator to set and it will be ready in about 30 minutes. This serves 2–4 people depending upon size of the servings.
Thank you so much! That sounds great!! Let me know if you try the blueberries because I would love to know if it works for someone else. Have a great evening and eat your veggies!!!! Kandie

Old 01-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #7

Aurora M. HB User

congrats on finding something that worked for you. If it really is the antioxidants, you also may also want to check out pomegranate juice. It's supposed to have twice the antioxidants as blueberries. POM Wonderful makes an excellent line of juices that not only has 100% pomegranate juice but pairs it with mango, tangerine, cherry, and blueberry (my favorite). Pomegranate is a bit of an aquired taste and those who don't like cranberry juice may not like it since it has the same sour/bitter tang.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #8

ozzifella HB User

Kanten is also very high in Iodine,A substance medically proven to aggrevate acne,So dont overdo it unless you are obviously deficient!

Steve

Old 01-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #9
Inactive

prometheus HB User

hotrods, yes in a way it does work, because I healed my acne through diet.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:21 AM   #10
(female)

Ruthy HB User
Question Re: Blueberries

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black][LEFT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodheads2004
I have tried so many things the last 19 years that I had almost given up and decided to live with my acne problems when I came down with a sore throat. And before I go any further, I believe that foods and herbs are our medicines, after being on many antibiotics and treatments for numerous things that I decided that natural was better. Well this sore throat was awful!!! So of course after three days of dealing with the pain I went to the grocery store and bought garlic and frozen fruits. I bought blueberries, raspberries, peaches, strawberries and blackberries. After trying one smoothie with a little of everything I had decided that all was good, but the blueberries were the best because they didn't have the seeds that came with the others and some weren't as tasty. So I made my normal chocolate soy smoothie but with a whole bag(12 oz.) of blueberries, by morning I was 99.9 % better so I decided to stay on this regimen until I got my immune system back in shape. Within 5 days my face was drying up and making drastic changes!! The only thing I can figure is the antioxidants in the blueberries were helping my acne. It has now been about 3 weeks and I am still on the same routine and still very little acne. At the least, a small pimple once or twice. Sometimes I will use orange juice(100%) and blueberries for a change. But I will not stop the blueberries!!! EVER!!! I have been on Pro-Active since September and nothing quite this drastic has happened with it although better than most acne systems I have used. I have been on Accutane, tetracycline, Retin-A, Differin.etc.. You name it and I have done it religiously!! Let me know what you guys think okay Kandie!!
[FONT=Courier New]

Could you please tell me what ingredients you put in your smoothies besides the chocolate soy and blueberries? Just additional ice? Thank you.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #11

hotrodheads2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthy
[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black][LEFT]
[FONT=Courier New]

Could you please tell me what ingredients you put in your smoothies besides the chocolate soy and blueberries? Just additional ice? Thank you.
Hi there!! Iwould love to tell you!! My husband bought me one of those new smoothie makers that came out for Christmas and it has a liquid line on it which is almost 2 cups. I put almost 2 cups of water and sometimes I will mix it up and put 100% orange juice for a more tangy smoothie. And then I put my soy protein powder(Revival Soy Online) in and I have been adding my probiotics in instead of swallowing them and then I put my bag of blueberries on top and mix but don't let your blueberries sit in to long because they become a big block of ice when put in that little of water. Mine froze and wouldn't mix because my kids were being needy before I could mix it up. You can also add your fiber powder if you have it because you can't taste it in this. My fiber powder is awful tasting. An easy way is just orange juice and blueberries. But I like having some protein in the morning and my other things so I get it all out of the way at once. I wish I would have taken a picture before I started this if but I had no idea what they were going to do for my face. Before and after picture would have been wonderful. I have noticed now that my scars are really getting light. I wish this would have happened to me about 10 years ago before I got all these spots on my cheeks, but I have confidence that it will be gone by summer now. Scars and all. Hey if you try this please let me know what your face looks like after 5 days okay. That is when mine started to look better. Another thing about my face was that I could have a zit or cyst come up two weeks before you caould actually see it and when it showed itself it was huge!! I hated that. I hope this is long lasting. Godd luck Kandie! P.S. Sorry to write a book!! I get excited!!! Kandie

Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 AM   #12

hotrodheads2004 HB User

Quote:
Hi there!! Iwould love to tell you!! My husband bought me one of those new smoothie makers that came out for Christmas and it has a liquid line on it which is almost 2 cups. I put almost 2 cups of water and sometimes I will mix it up and put 100% orange juice for a more tangy smoothie. And then I put my soy protein powder(Revival Soy Online) in and I have been adding my probiotics in instead of swallowing them and then I put my bag of blueberries on top and mix but don't let your blueberries sit in to long because they become a big block of ice when put in that little of water. Mine froze and wouldn't mix because my kids were being needy before I could mix it up. You can also add your fiber powder if you have it because you can't taste it in this. My fiber powder is awful tasting. An easy way is just orange juice and blueberries. But I like having some protein in the morning and my other things so I get it all out of the way at once. I wish I would have taken a picture before I started this if but I had no idea what they were going to do for my face. Before and after picture would have been wonderful. I have noticed now that my scars are really getting light. I wish this would have happened to me about 10 years ago before I got all these spots on my cheeks, but I have confidence that it will be gone by summer now. Scars and all. Hey if you try this please let me know what your face looks like after 5 days okay. That is when mine started to look better. Another thing about my face was that I could have a zit or cyst come up two weeks before you caould actually see it and when it showed itself it was huge!! I hated that. I hope this is long lasting. Godd luck Kandie! P.S. Sorry to write a book!! I get excited!!! Kandie
And one more thing is that you don't need ice when you put a 12 ounce bag of frozen blueberries. They are your ice. Kandie

Old 01-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
(female)

Ruthy HB User

Quote:
Thank you for responding. My 16 yr. old son is on Accutane and is not reponding well. Have tried everything for a couple of years, and two dermatologists..... going to grocery store to buy blueberries shortly. Thank you for your detailed response. So, you drink the entire smoothie container (with a whole bag of blueberries) each day? We'll try it for 5 and let you know what happens. Thanks again. karen

Old 01-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #14

Emma2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthy
Thank you for responding. My 16 yr. old son is on Accutane and is not reponding well. Have tried everything for a couple of years, and two dermatologists..... going to grocery store to buy blueberries shortly. Thank you for your detailed response. So, you drink the entire smoothie container (with a whole bag of blueberries) each day? We'll try it for 5 and let you know what happens. Thanks again. karen
I'd be careful if he's on Accutane...blueberries may be high in vit.A--I'm not sure if they are(anyone know?) It could be overload on Vit. A if they are, and they tell you to not ingest excess Vit. A if you're on Accutane.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #15

Emma2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora M.
congrats on finding something that worked for you. If it really is the antioxidants, you also may also want to check out pomegranate juice. It's supposed to have twice the antioxidants as blueberries. POM Wonderful makes an excellent line of juices that not only has 100% pomegranate juice but pairs it with mango, tangerine, cherry, and blueberry (my favorite). Pomegranate is a bit of an aquired taste and those who don't like cranberry juice may not like it since it has the same sour/bitter tang.
We have that, but I never drink it. Supposedly juices aren't good for acne. Whatever, I don't care anymore, I'm going to try it. I'm sick of not being able to eat this or that.

Closed Thread