It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #1

April99 HB User
I did a stupid thing...

I picked at two whiteheads on my cheek, and the skin came off. Now I have two red marks (or scabs) and there's no way to cover them up nicely.
Is there anything I can do to make the skin heal faster? Is it good if I put on moisturizer to keep the area moist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

miss_prolixity HB User
Re: I did a stupid thing...

Apply neosporin or polysporin to the area. It should definitely help with the healing process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #3

uniquejp HB User

apply cortizone cream now and before bedtime and in the morning u will notice a change!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Try steaming your face for 5-10mins in the morning and same again in the evening. This should speed up the healing process as more blood will circulate around the skin tissues causing your scabs to come off in a few days time. Then you can use some makeup to cover it up. But whatever you do don't squeeze/squash/scratch that area of your skin any more as it will take over 4 weeks to completely clear (that is if it doesn't scar). And definitely keep it moisturised!

With regards to Cortisone cream, do not use it for more than 4-5 consecutive days. It is a steroid hence has major long term side effects EVEN if you don't see/feel any during the time you use it.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #5

uniquejp HB User

do u know what the major effects of cortizone cream is on the face? all i do is dab it in spots...thast bad to do too?

Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquejp
do u know what the major effects of cortizone cream is on the face? all i do is dab it in spots...thast bad to do too?
You will only have a problem if you use lot,s of hydrocortizone regulary,over a period of time it makes your skin thinner,therefore it cuts more easily etc etc.
Using it as you do shouldnt cause you any problems at all

Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #7
(female)

Susannah HB User

I take about 8 grams of vitamin C a day (a lot, but it's perfectly safe, your body gets rid of what it doesn't need very easily), and my skin heals A LOT faster than it used to. You might want to try it, vitamin C is very cheap to buy.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran

Neca HB User

Uniquejp, the key things to note when using cortisone cream is: you must only use fingertip amounts for each treatment session and you must NOT use the treatment for longer than 5 days.

There are four groups of steroids divided by their potency. You said you are using cortisone cream so I am assuming you meant Hydrocortisone cream. Well I hope you mean that because it is Class 4 of the steroid category and therefore is considered a 'Mild' topical containing 0.5-2.5%.

But just because this cream is 'Mild' doesn't mean you can't experience any side-effects associated with steroids. You will increase the risk of side-effects if you use the cream for a long period of time.

The potential side effects that must be considered are increased blood pressure, fluid retention, diabetes and suppression of the Adrenal Gland, meaning you could become ill when trying to come off the steroid treatment.
Other possible effects are Atrophy (irreversible thinning of the skin), tearing, bruising, Striae (stretch marks), rash and telangiectasia (enlarged blood vessels in the skin) or 'Crow's feet'.

Just be sensible when using it and do not overdo it.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran

Neca HB User

Susannah
Quote:
I take about 8 grams of vitamin C a day
That is sooo much!?! The Recommended Daily Allowance of Vitamin C is only 60-75mg. You are taking OVER 100 TIMES the R.D.A. (if my Maths is correct). It has been noted though that regular users who supplement their diet with Vitamin C take in the vicinity of 250mg to 1,000+mg per day. Your intake is still way above this 'average'. There are also side-effects associated with this. IMO your body's organs can't cope with this huge amount/ overdose of one core substance. It becomes toxic. Moderation is always best.

But if it is working for you, I am happy for you. I'm just a little concerned with the long-term problems you risk getting like joint pains, osteoporosis, hypoglycemia, reduced estrogen, PMS, increase chances of infections by causing copper deficiency,

Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Susannah

That is sooo much!?! The Recommended Daily Allowance of Vitamin C is only 60-75mg. You are taking OVER 100 TIMES the R.D.A. (if my Maths is correct). It has been noted though that regular users who supplement their diet with Vitamin C take in the vicinity of 250mg to 1,000+mg per day. Your intake is still way above this 'average'. There are also side-effects associated with this. IMO your body's organs can't cope with this huge amount/ overdose of one core substance. It becomes toxic. Moderation is always best.

But if it is working for you, I am happy for you. I'm just a little concerned with the long-term problems you risk getting like joint pains, osteoporosis, hypoglycemia, reduced estrogen, PMS, increase chances of infections by causing copper deficiency,
i don't think the RDA for the average person is 60-75mg, thats a little too low, and i take around 3g of vitamin c a day also.

Closed Thread