It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 PM   #1

Adrianna HB User
Post Helpppp, I beg u! I call on all you out there!

Hi there! Please take time to read this and anything u can share w/ me I appreciate!

I need to be 100% ance free in 4 months, and I am stressing out thinking that not even that much time is gonna be enough!!! Ok, I am 17, have had acne for about 2 years, but now it's at its worst; I have black + white heads, painful pimples under the skin, tonesssss of scars, pimples on my back and shoulders, even on my chest, and nothing over the counter works.
I tried Proactiv twice...2 years ago, and it made my skin worse (but I thought that it was my fault since I wasn't using oil-free make-up). Then, I tried it again this winter...and I am desperate, because it just made it worse. I get new breakouts every single day, I pick at them, I am obsessingggg!! I didn't go to the derm yet, because from other ppl's experience it didn't help, the typical derm treats u like a testing object or something, and keeps trying all the medications on you, nothing works, you go to the derm for years, still nothing...and so on. I am totally depressed bcuz I don't believe anything about the products out there, and it would take a lot to get me convinced that anything would work.
Again, I have 4 months!! Lately I realized that if any of the topical medications didn't work, I should try controling my acne from the inside. Reading though this board, I have come across many things, and so far I got in down to these: I could try birth control (since I break out the most b4 my period, and around ovulation, also I considered Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Diane 35, by the way any opinions on which), I could try Acne-Rid (or any other vitamin B5 product, although I am not sure how this works, what is it for, etc.) or Acneva (some product that's suppose to help reduce the production of oil, therefore control acne). For scars, Maderma.
Another thing, since u are now familiar w/ my situation. I use Clinique Super Fit Oil-Free foundation, with oil-free powder, and not even this covers the red spots and tons of scars. Lately I've heard a lot about mineral make-up, Bare Minerals and the cheaper version of it (although its the exact same thing), Sheer Cover. Now, these seem too good to be true. And I am not a gullible person, very hard to convice in fact, but if any of you out there tried these, do they actually cover up well? I use the foundation, and it doesn't even cover well right when I put it on, but after 2 hours it looks like I never even put anything on... I am really curious about the mineral make-up though...
Ok, I'm done, thank you so much for reading this, I am seriously depressed because of this, and need all the help I can get. Please reply, I am grateful for all u out there who take the time to do so.
Thanx again,
Adrianna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2004, 07:20 PM   #2

harmony6 HB User
Re: Helpppp, I beg u! I call on all you out there!

Adrianna - I know its hard but try not to stress to much about your skin, it will only make it worse. Also, i really feel for you because right now my skin is at its worst and i am kinda of freaking out. But honestly, it is my opinion that yes it is good to do research on this board and find out what works and what doesnt, but go to a dermatologist. It is there job to help you, and they aren't out to get you. It is true that there are a few derms that my be unsympathetic and not worth your while, but they know what they are doing and are trying to help you. Also, there are many other people out there that have had positive results with dermatologists. So try and get in contact with one, and in the meanwhile keep researching on different products and options so you are ready to ask questions when you get to see the derm. So for now, relax. I know it is hard, trust me. I can go a week crying everyday about what i look like. But just know that you are going to keep being yourself, no matter how much acne you have. For the make up part, I can't help you there. I"m also looking for make up wth good coverage that won't clog pores. So good luck with that. Anyways, hope that helped somewhat.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
(female)

Susannah HB User
Re: Helpppp, I beg u! I call on all you out there!

Yes, the mineral make-up works. I've tried a couple of different brands, and I think Bare Escentuals really is the best. I get it on eBay, so that makes it cheaper than it would be otherwise. It covers very well, and doesn't clog my pores at all.

I dealth with acne for over 10 years, and what finally worked for me was taking a ton of pantothenic acid every day (I think this is B5?), anyway, I took about 5 grams/day, and it worked really quickly. I also made some crean with niacinamide mixed in (took the capsules and broke them open and mixed it into aloe vera cream), this helped my arms and knees, I didn't use it on my face much, though. I also think you should get your derm to prescribe some cleocin to you (topical antibiotic) and some Lamisil (topical antifungal), because acne can be caused by either a bacterial or a fungal infection, and if you really need to be clear in such a short amount of time, I would try both. If the derm won't prescribe the Lamisil to you, there is an over the counter version, but it's not as strong.

Anyway, good luck!

Closed Thread