It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #1

euro18 HB User
Question Is anyone else terrified of eating?

I just don't know what to eat anymore - every time I eat something I can remember something ive read saying it wasn't acne-friendly. At the moment im surviving on porridge, nuts, fruit and veg and chicken! Ive cut out all breads/pastas/cereals and any refined sugar out of my diet. (REALLY HARD!!!)

Altho i dont know if it's having any effect - my friends think i have an eating disorder, but I don't!!! it's jsut cos of this stupid acne.

For example, oranges can be bad for acne cos they are very acidic - not everyone can eat them. Bananas maybe bad cos they have a high-glycemic rating. Promtheus says boiled eggs are bad cos people can't digest them. SOme people say meat is bad cos it has animal hormones in it. Cereals are bad as they are salty and processed. Dairy products are bad. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO EAT??????????? im a skinny guy already but just feel incredibly guilty if i eat something when it could make my acne worse.

Last edited by euro18; 01-20-2004 at 08:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: Is anyone else terrified of eating?

D'you know what's harsh? prometheus will probably tell you to cut out the porridge - especially if it's made with milk. I know what you mean about the eating disorder thing. My friends too go on at me how there's no harm in bread and chips etc. and I just want to lamp them Just stick to it dude

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Hold on. You need to take a step back and get your bearings. Going into something this way will be a disaster. You don't want to be motivated by fear you want to be motivated by your rational mind, your intellect. And to do this you need to choose one person to listen to or listen to everyone and make your own educated choice about what to eat and follow that. From everything you tell me right here you can eat all vegetables and all fruits except oranges and bananas if you were CHOOSING to avoid them. There is no reason to be motivated by fear. This is reactionary. You need to make a choice instead. What is there to be afraid of anyway? You have acne. It's either going to go away or it's not. If it goes away, great. If it doesn't, it isn't anything different from where you are/were.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #4

euro18 HB User

I know what you mean jhart. By the way, porridge is made w/ soya milk as ive cut out dairy - that better be OK.

I was just reading the blueberries post and was about to try eating them, but then i realised i read somewhere that fruits can wreak havoc with your hormones as they are high in natural sugars!!(HOW ANNOYING)

Yeah my friends say the same that there is no harm in eating chips etc. I feel like saying "ID BE EATING THEM TOO IF IT WASNT FOR THIS CRAP ON MY FACE!" They call me a health freak , but I am sometimes paranoid that behind my back , they r saying "he's so healthy but look at the state of his skin."

I mean i wouldnt eat REALLY unhealthily if i didnt have acne, id just relax a bit more.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #5

euro18 HB User

I Think even Joeh said that he was diagnosed with anneroxia in the 80s due to his fear of eating anything in case it made him break out. This i think will become more and more of an issue w/ acne sufferers.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Aww sweety =(

Please do not think this way. We all say lots of things because they are what we've found to matter for US. We all have our own STANDARDS when it comes to the type and purity of the foods we eat, but that shouldn't entirely guide or overwhelm your decisions.

While what you hear is the truth, certain foods will be more important for you to eliminate than others. For me it was gluten, for prometheus it was refined foods in general (includes hydrogenated oils), most grains, and dairy (right?). I know for others, they just needed to eliminate Refined Foods & sugars. Doing so may get you 100% clear or it may get you 95% clear....it's up to you how much freedom you feel you need to be happy.

Everyone has their own sensitivity levels and along with that we all have our own challenges to overcome when improving our diets. These include finances, reliance upon parents for food, lack of healthier options, etc. As a result, I generally do not eat organic meat, but I'm 99% clear despite this. I still eat canned foods and some Dry goods, but very little frozen foods compared to how I used to eat. I still eat out at resturants and at Fast Food establishments, but I don't eat the same foods that I once did. If I had the finances everything would be totally overhauled, but I don't and I don't let it worry me.

When I'm well behaved I'm 100% clear, but I'm not entirely prepared to do what I must to maintain that level (working on it). Well behaved for me is to not eat potato chips, buttered popcorn, dairy etc. Yet, you would hate to hear what I eat, so I won't even go there ;-) Ok Ok... I generally eat MORE fruits than I do veggies (always have)....only counting the fruits & veggies, yesterday I had 5 servings of fruit and only 1 serving of vegetables (that's all I had in my house that I wanted/could eat) So I am not perfect, I don't follow all the rules, but I know that it's very important to improve that aspect. None the less, having fun and eating junk food (usually healthy junk), hasn't hurt my skin as much as it may some of you, my goal is to have fun & enjoy my foods the healthiest way possible. Yet, for as much as I LOVE Food, I gave up some of my favorites for my skin & hormonal balance and, if neccessary, will give up more with No regrets ;-)

The best advice I can give you is to either pick a diet and follow it completely for several months (3 months) and then ADJUST as you see neccessary. Keep the other culprit foods in the back of your head, and if you still aren't clear, look back at them and eliminate another food item.

I chose to go Gluten Free and I eliminated other foods as I found neccessary. This takes longer, but depending on your current schedule & lifestyle, it's easier to handle and you see results. What's interesting is that I can't drink soda (cysts) and I can't eat chocolate CANDY or much of any candy for it will also break me out (sugar pimples), along with a few others that I won't mention to keep it simple. =) Currently I'm suspecting Dairy, but just on a scientific basis alone....none of us should be consuming dairy products ;-)

That's the problem that I'm semi-dealing with now and it's a BIG jump. It's an even BIGGER jump for those of you that haven't (learned how to) eliminate other foods yet. It's easy to just avoid Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, Icecream and Creamy Salad dressings, but milk is in other foods too. In that respect, you might as well go Gluten Free or Grain free because you will be eliminating these foods as well....unless you aren't that sensitive to smaller amounts. Personally, I know that I have to increase my calcium containing foods & vegetables in order for me to safe remove dairy from my diet, especially since I don't like taking suppplements (but I will if I have to).

A combination of Sugars, Corn, Soy, Wheat, Dairy, & Hydrogenated Oils are in practically everything that is Refined/Processed, Fast Food/Resturant, or basically Packaged and that is what makes these diets challenging, but NOT impossible ;-)

In truth you are not following a diet, but an entire LIFESTYLE CHANGE that will, if nothing else, make you healthier along with giving you clear skin and improving other aspects of your health/hormonal balance. This is the way you MUST learn to look at it and hopefully you will feel much more grounded because of it.

Where I live, our city ranks high for obesity (I dont see it) and Type II Diabetes. We have one small health food store (Sun Harvest) and the other grocery stores are sloooooooooowly adding some healthier options. That health food store is 30 minutes away from me so I only go maybe 1 - 2x a month after school. If I seriously want to eat certain foods, I would have to purchase them online or prepare them myself because they don't exisit here. So I hope that more of you have additional Health Foods Stores, Gluten Free or Low Carb Resturants, or other health conscious resturants. Heck even a fast food place that serves baked chicken, like Boston Market, is better than eating Fried Chicken and removing the batter (done so a few times, but I try not to).

There are ways to "survive", despite your friends, despite your family, and despite your co-workers. Do what you have to do for you and ignore them and their uneducated remarks. There's a REASON a Human Diet, as prometheus calls it, works and it seems like it's universal. Think about, most of these Bad foods are also on the avoid list for those with Allergies, Intolerances, Arthritis, Celiac Disease, Obesity, Diabetes, ACNE, etc keep that in mind when someone that APPEARS Healthy, tells you there's nothing wrong with eating Dairy or eating Bread.

You are in CONTROL here. Take the knowledge that you've acquired and use it to play the game. Write a list of all the foods you like to eat. Write a list of all the foods you don't eat. Compare that list to what you see us eating and not eating. When it comes down to being hungry and choosing between say...something with MSG or something with some Wheat (like soy sauce) AVOID the one you know your skin is more REACTIVE to. You shouldn't feel guilty or starve because you don't have access to healthier options. Just decide whether it's the chemicals or the proteins in foods that matter more for you and go from there.

The other important thing to do is to LISTEN to your body. If you're quiet and pay attention, it just might tell you what you need to eat. You will either know based on how you feel or based on your cravings. When I neglect certain vegetables, I start to crave water foods. Fruits have water, but they don't have the flavor that green vegetables do. So if you want to follow the Willett's Food Pyramid or your own instincts (or common sense) both should help keep you balanced in that sense.

So go ahead and take Baby Steps or Giant Leaps depending on what's available to you or how well you've planned. If you buy your fruits, vegetables, etc and prepare a few days worth in advance and freeze them...then you've got your own personal "fast food" on the run meals to eat. While they may loose some nutrients, it's BETTER than not doing anything at all, or getting stuck eating something you know would be less healthier or worse for your skin. Learn to plan, keep a Safe Food List, Request foods from your grocery stores, buy a special cookbook, etc. There's always a way to work the system =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 01-20-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #7

euro18 HB User

Thanks sweetjade for your response - i really respect your opinions.

I got tests done for food intolerances done - it did say i shouldnt eat white flour and a few other things i was avoiding anyways. But it didn't say i was intolerant to wheat or anything like that - so am i OK to eat wheat?

The problem is , ive had the best success of reducing acne when I have tried to improve my digestion. But can wheat and stuff be hard for me to digest? so should i avoid that in case?

I avoid all citrus fruits, and spicy foods in case it interferes w/ my digestion - does this sound OK to you?
do u have any tips?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Euro,

I hope you're feeling a bit better now. =) A good way to look it is to think about how you hear everyone say that this topical and this supplement and this other topical, etc are ALL great for your acheiving clear skin! Before you know it, you've got maybe 5 topicals and 30 pills to take, except...if you pile on ALL these GREAT things at once, it can overwhelm your skin or body and that's not a good thing. Besides, how will you know if you truly need all of them? Maybe it's just one or two that's really doing the job.

This is also the way one should look at their diet, as if it was medicine. Even though we know we should be eating this way normally & naturally, because we don't, when we do eat a Whole Foods diet, among other specialized diets, the effects are as if we were on medication to HEAL a problem. There's nothing wrong with wanting to eliminate all the bad foods, but some of the more miscellaneous items may not be bad for you. None of us want you to give up, but most importantly we don't want you to starve either ;-) Just like everyone else, my goal is to be 100% clear too, but this is why I take it day by day =)

Say, what were the results of your food intolerance test again? What type of test was it (blood, saliva, skin)? What foods did it say you shouldn't eat? Did you get an OK on foods you could eat?

While it didn't say for you to avoid wheat, it did say white flour, which is made from wheat. So that cuts out big portion of your fast food fun ;-) I don't see how it could say no white flour, but not wheat, definately let us know what those results were again.

As for the spicy and citrus foods, well if you personally find these to be problematic, acne and digestive wise, then avoid them. This actually is easier to do than avoiding other foods. I'll be honest, for some reason I naturally started consuming less citrus foods when I swicthed my diet. I don't eat orange and rarely do I drink orange juice. I don't really even drink 100% fruit juice so lemonade and grapefruit are also not in my diet. I know my dad is sensitive to citrus, maybe I am too. I know that oranges are ok, but orange juice isn't, in terms of the glycemic load.

Now, what I can also add about the spicy foods is that avoidance helps some arthritics and those with rosacea. Plus, spicy foods contain a problematic lectin that could be a culprit for some acne sufferers. On the Evil Lectin Free diet Nightshades are avoided. Nightshades include Tomatos, Potatos, Eggplant, and all Peppers. So, you might have trouble with peppers in general. For some people, it didn't cause them to breakout, but was the difference between having oily skin and not. Just a thought ;-)

The thing is that when you are Intolerant, it means you can't digest it well. This can cause gasterintestinal distress, along with inflammation (cystic acne maybe?). So definately start off by at least avoiding the foods that you were found to be intolerant to. Yet just because you weren't labeled as intolerant doesn't mean that you still aren't. My test said that I'm not a Celiac (gluten intolerant), but eliminating gluten alone made me 95% clear!

Whole Grains will naturally make you intolerant because they automatically contain anti-nutrients (phytic acid) that will deactivate the enzymes needed to digest them. The same goes for Legumes which is why these are on the Avoids for the Paleolithic Diet list & the Evil Lectin List. Prometheus eats legumes and I do too, (generally don't like many beans) and perhaps we don't have problems because we eat them Fully Cooked, sprouted, and/ fermented (deactives the bad proteins). If you really want grains you can try buying sprouted grains (grass...deactivated the phytic acid and lectins), such as those found in Ezekiel bread. Some say this is acceptable, others don't. Food For Life makes sprouted grain breads & tortillas and really yummy applie cinnamon muffins & other Wheat-Free or Gluten-Free Products. I dont eat any gluten grains though, so you will have to find out on your own if it's safe for you.

I do apologize for mentioning other diets, but they are all relatively the same. Prometheus's diet I would say is very similar to a Paleolithic Diet and if you choose this one to start, there's lots of info on the internet, recipes, and even books!

Take care =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 01-20-2004 at 06:21 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #9

nikgirl HB User

man, i thought bananas and oranges were good...i've been eating them like crazy. I figured oranges were good since people said vitamin C was good for you. Now i have a whole basket of oranges...that sucks.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgirl
man, i thought bananas and oranges were good...i've been eating them like crazy. I figured oranges were good since people said vitamin C was good for you. Now i have a whole basket of oranges...that sucks.

LOL, aww... Ok, you've been eating them like crazy, but how has your skin been behaving as a result? Better, worse, or no change?

Oranges are fine, I just don't eat them anymore. Orange Juice and Bananas are in the Medium section for the Glycemic Load and MAY cause people problems. Try avoiding these and see what happens.

These are the miscellaneous "bad" foods that I was talking about. If you are allergic and you're unaware, you may want to try and avoid to test out. Otherwise, don't worry about these and just focus on the MAIN Acne aggrevators.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
(male)

horsies HB User

======================================== ====================

Last edited by horsies; 01-21-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #12
Inactive

prometheus HB User

heh, horsies

Old 01-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #13
Inactive

prometheus HB User

good advice, sweetjade

Old 01-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

eat them niki they are very good for you...citrus fruits prevent cancer and such. Bananas and oranges never affected my acne, or gave me acne. I know because I ate a ton of them in the process of healing my acne but at the same time I can't say I am completely tolerant of them, because I ate them as starter foods when I came off of a long fast and I almost killed myself. I was fine with the avocados but something in the orange or the banana my body rejected. I know you aren't supposed to eat either of these too close in time to eachother in the principles of food combination. It may have some truth to it. Sweetjade probably knows more about this. When I'm not fasting I seem to tolerate them just fine. I think my body can extract the nutrients out of them, and discard the bad stuff when it is not weak, because they are a natural whole food.

citrus foods are also detoxifying

bananas have potassium and normalize bowel movements

Last edited by prometheus; 01-20-2004 at 09:36 PM.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #15

euro18 HB User

Sweetjade - Many grateful thanks for your reply.

You told me to tell u about my food intolerances - it was done using "computerised Electro-Dermal Screening on the BEST system. Apparently , it's one of the world's most accurate and advanced screening devices!

First off , it revealed that I did not have enough HCI, protease etc in my stomach (probably explains my poor digestion - got tabs to hopefully rectify this) I am also very sensitive to sodium Nitrate and sulfur dioxide and to a lesser extent MSG and Tartrazine. (all additives, as i am sure you know ) Also, intolerant to most fish.
I am intolerant to Wheat, white flour and Wheat, Bran. However, NOT whole wheat, rice or rye. I am very intolerant to Malt (Barley) and Cane sugar.

From my experience, I know that citrus fruits don't sit well with me, so i have avoided them for a long while now. My redness from my face has subsequently disappeared. (altho the test did not reveal that i was intolerant to citrus fruits, but did reveal i was intolerant to spicy veg such as REd pepper. I have also avoided dairy products for a logn time because of health fears.

So, basically I am looking for some advice - what diet should I follow? Is it OK to eat wholemeal bread or pittas or pasta? I heard pasta is bad for your digestion so i probably won't eat that. I'd appreciate any comments you may have, sweetjade or anyone else!! Thanks

Closed Thread