It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Question Facial Steamer..what should be my routine?

As I said before..I have mild to moderate cystic acne..I use Mint Julep facial mask but should I use the steamer first? And for how long? How many days a week?

Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: Facial Steamer..what should be my routine?

anyone???????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone314
I use Mint Julep facial mask but should I use the steamer first? And for how long? How many days a week?
Hey Littleone, well I have no experience with MJ facial mask but I'm not sure why you would want to use BOTH a mask AND a steamer? Don't they both do the same thing? Aren't they supposed to draw out all the impurities within the skin? If you use both at the same time, you will probably dehydrate your skin. But I think steaming is actually quite important with regards to ones facial regime.

Just steam your face twice a week and use the MJ facial mask also twice a week but not on the same days you are using the steamer. Your skin NEEDS some of its own essential epidermis oils to clean itself and regenerate. Removing them all will not do yourself any good.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

lovely.lady HB User

Steaming your face doesn't necessarily "wash out" gunk in your pores as much as it just opens up your pores and softens the gunk inside (lovely, isn't it?) That being said, it's a good idea to steam and then mask- it just allows the mask to penetrate deeper and get a better deep down clean. Make sure you wash your face before you steam.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #5

mawals HB User

Could somebody start from the beginning and tell me exactly what to do and what I need to buy and where, please?
Thanks (it sounds interesting but I need more info)

Old 01-22-2004, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

You can find a facial steamer for about £15 here in the UK from a catalogue store or a high street cosmetics store. A facial steamer is simply a miniature kettle, of sorts. There's a hollow in which you put a small volume of water (less than a shot glass full) and this is heated by the filament that is hidden away in the plastic casing of the unit. The filament heats up simply by connecting the steamer to the mains electricity. Ok, so you've got your hot water (also known as "steam" ). Now you've got to harness its cleansing properties. The steamer will be provided with some kind of plastic bucket-like object that sits over the steam.

You put your head in the open end of this "bucket" and steam gets to your face since there are small holes in the other end of the bucket (some bucket ). That's it! Alternatively you can simply boil some water in a kettle and then put it in a bowl and put a towel over your head whilst you absorb the steam to stop the steam from escaping and concentrate it on your face - which is basically what the "bucket" does. Once you've opened your pores with that lovely steam you can remove the moisture and apply a face mask. I personally prefer a clay based mask (or mud which is extra-firming ). The idea of steaming before using the mask is that the pores will be open and the mask will be able to penetrate the skin easier; thus, removing more impurities and dead skin cells.

I hope all this waffle helps

Old 01-22-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Do a Google for carmen facial sauna to understand my very poor description of what they are/look like

Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

When I steam, I usually use a cleanser first, in order to get my make-up off, wipe away any sweat, etc. Then I steam to open my pores. Afterwards, I either use a mask, or wash again. I think it helps to wash before, so you don't drive make-up into the pores. It helps to wash after because skin sweats when hot. I love my steamer... it's a Conair (I THINK) facial spa.

Closed Thread