It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #1

jadedjane HB User
To Prometheus

I am starting the diet you posted on today. I hope I have the strength and discipline to follow it: although, for the past two weeks I have been low-carbing it, but then breaking down. And when I have broke down, I have broken out! But I'm really going to try to stick with it this time.

I have some questions:

1. Where can I get food grade Bentonite clay, psyllium husks and plantago seeds? At a health food store? Will clearing out my intestines make me want to go to the washroom constantly? I'm concerned because I'm a full-time student and don't want to have to be running from the lecture hall to the bathroom!

2. How often do you need to do an intestinal cleanse?

3. Can I eat eggs?

4. You wrote "Avoid any and all nutrient absent or nutrient subtracting foods and items." What does that mean, exactly?

5. How long does it take to see results, assuming that I follow the diet verbatim?

6. I can't really afford organic meats. Does that pose a huge problem? The next best thing I can think of are "vegetable grain fed" meats, but that doesn't necessarily mean the animal wasn't pumped up with hormones. I went to a health food store the other day and organic chicken breast was at least twice the cost of regular store-bought chicken breast.

I am a 20-year-old female college student. I am genetically predisposed to acne (mom, dad and brother all had it to varying degrees: my mom and brother the worst). I also was on the birth control pill for a while. One brand of BCP caused me to break out horribly: that was last year. Now I have moderate acne around my chin and forehead and very little on cheeks/jawline.

I'm very convinced that acne can be regulated by an alteration of lifestyle ...or at least, that's what I hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #2

jadedjane HB User
Re: To Prometheus

Oh, and one more question:

Can I eat legumes/beans, like lentils and such?

Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Quote:
1. Where can I get food grade Bentonite clay, psyllium husks and plantago seeds? At a health food store? Will clearing out my intestines make me want to go to the washroom constantly? I'm concerned because I'm a full-time student and don't want to have to be running from the lecture hall to the bathroom!
No it shouldn't. It should normalize your bowel movements though. If you aren't used to three times a day it might seem like a lot. You can get the food grade bentonite and psyllium husks at health food stores.

Quote:
2. How often do you need to do an intestinal cleanse?
You should do it atleast once a year.

Quote:
3. Can I eat eggs?
Not during an intestinal cleanse or any cleanse really. I have problems with eggs cooked and I don't eat them raw so I just don't eat eggs. I wouldn't eat them until after your acne is gone.

Quote:
4. You wrote "Avoid any and all nutrient absent or nutrient subtracting foods and items." What does that mean, exactly?
It means anything with caloric value that doesn't also have nutritional value. It means stripped foods like white sugar, or white flour, or refined foods. It also means alcohol, caffeine, and drugs.

Quote:
5. How long does it take to see results, assuming that I follow the diet verbatim?
Two months. To be completely clear is an individual thing. I saw results within only a couple weeks of changing my diet, but I did not completely get rid of my acne for a while afterwards.

Quote:
6. I can't really afford organic meats. Does that pose a huge problem? The next best thing I can think of are "vegetable grain fed" meats, but that doesn't necessarily mean the animal wasn't pumped up with hormones. I went to a health food store the other day and organic chicken breast was at least twice the cost of regular store-bought chicken breast.
The best thing to do is to eat meats that are generally cleaner. Those are meats that are not as high in demand. I would stay away from beef and chicken and opt for game birds, duck, or new zealand lamb, because duck is generally not treated with hormones or antibiotics and new zealand lamb is usually raised in a healthy manner. Yes these are more expensive but they are not as expensive as certified organic meat. I totally understand and I limit my intake of meat because of its expense. If you look at it this way, some people drink coffee every morning. That is about 1-2 dollars depending. If you eat meat once a week and you don't drink coffee that is 7-14 dollars you have to spend on meat. I'm sure you could find things that you do throughout the day that you wouldn't mind cutting out to afford healthier options, and you might even be cutting some of them out when changing your lifestyle.

Quote:
I am a 20-year-old female college student. I am genetically predisposed to acne (mom, dad and brother all had it to varying degrees: my mom and brother the worst). I also was on the birth control pill for a while. One brand of BCP caused me to break out horribly: that was last year. Now I have moderate acne around my chin and forehead and very little on cheeks/jawline.

I'm very convinced that acne can be regulated by an alteration of lifestyle ...or at least, that's what I hope!
It definitely can be. I couldn't be convinced otherwise.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-20-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Inactive

prometheus HB User

depending on where you live you can get in touch with your local hunters. they love to sell, or even give you meat.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive

prometheus HB User

oh and yes you can eat legumes, just make sure they are not the canned but fresh variety,and you soak them for atleast 8 hours and not the "quick" method. If you buy them already cooked make sure the restaurant or wherever soaks them and they are not previously canned. When doing any cleanse it is better to not eat legumes and opt instead for fresh vegetables and fruit. Lentils don't really need to be soaked, I think, just cleaned.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-21-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Closed Thread