It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #1

pjlc HB User
Thumbs up Safe B5 levels (study details included)

Hello,

There has always been talk of Pantothenic Acid (B5) and its long-term effects at high doses. Wanting to try B5 myself, did some "research" and found a very detailed report.

In any case, a 2003 report by the Food Standards Agency (it's 360 pages, but of course not all relevant) on maximum doses details the few studies done at different dosages of primarily 2,000mg and 10,000mg. There are about six pages of info specific to B5.

I outline some results here, but please read the report and don't take my word for it, since of course we can all easily make mistakes!

There is a possibility that liver damage could result from long term exposure to high doses of B5, although it is quite possible--according to the report--that that result was due to another substance in the capsules, since more than one were being studied in that specific trial.
All other trials showed no adverse effects after several months, with a 2000mg or 10000mg dose per day, in humans, dogs, and monkeys.

Bottom line is that they could not establish a maximum upper boundary for humans, and so did not publish one. They have not found any varifiable negative effects on larger doses over several months.
They believe that about 200mg should be easily tolerated on a long term basis by most humans, and that is their only firm conclusion.

One final detail: it is pretty certain that every person gets sufficient B5, and that B5 deficiency really doesn't exist for anyone, with rare exceptions. So, after reading this I am beginning to suspect that B5 deficiency cannot be a cause of acne, as claimed by so many places. Rather, it's "deficiency" from the high doses

Also, it seems strange that we'd need on the order of grams of a vitamin, per day. That is a lot.

So, that's good news, eh? I for one will start trying B5 to see if it helps!

Please see the report for further details, that's what you really need to get a clearer picture. It's freely available on the web. Here is one address:

[url]http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/vitsandminspress[/url]

The link is at the bottom of the page: "Safe upper levels for vitamins and minerals"
It is 1.37Mb.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: Safe B5 levels (study details included)

So 2 grams what u gonna use? I wanna try this too cause my skin is really oily. But i dont wanna lose hair.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #3

pjlc HB User
Re: Safe B5 levels (study details included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
So 2 grams what u gonna use? I wanna try this too cause my skin is really oily. But i dont wanna lose hair.
Well, this may sound low to most people, but I'm going to try 1000mg per day for a few days, to see how I react. Then up by a gram every few days (eg.5) until I see some improvement. There's a cost/benefit tradeoff and I am not going to take dosages that completely clear my skin, if they are higher than 5000mg. Any improvement and hopefully the Salicylic Acid will do the rest.

So, starting with 1000mg, but no more than 5000mg per day.

As soon as I take max 5000mg for a few months, assuming I'll feel fine, I'll cut back and take 1-3 for maintenence. Then, back up to 5000mg if needed. Obviously this is optimistic. Those with experience with B5 please chime in and suggest the best way to do it

Closed Thread