It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 35
rippey HB User
Almonds

I have started to eat a fair amount of shelled almonds every day on the diet outlined by Prometheus. In a day I consume about 1 cup (4 servings) which gives me enough calories and fats to maintain my body weight while focusing on fruits, vegs, lean meats, etc. My question is, from a health perspective, is there such a thing as to much raw nuts in your diet? Any ideas?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-21-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 426
Neca HB User
Re: Almonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippey
My question is, from a health perspective, is there such a thing as to much raw nuts in your diet? Any ideas?
Yes there is such a thing as too much raw nuts but there is also such a thing as too much anything in a diet. Too much water, too many vitamins, too much fruits...overloading on anything is not good for your body. Just moderate it. But IMO your eating around about the right amount of almonds. If you eat too many nuts then your gonna be on the toilet quite a lot of the time which means the body is cleaning itself too rapidly and will not be absorbing enough nutrients to maintain it's balance. Nuts are used to cleanse the body but over-cleansing is not a good idea. Being too clean internally increases the risk of you developing allergies or break-out because as soon as you eat something that is slightly unhealthy such as chocolate, the body will react.

I love almonds, now I am actually addicted to them. I eat them not just because they are good for you but because they are so damn nice. You should also eat Walnuts. Walnuts have the highest level of Omega-3 out of all the nuts which, as you probably know, are essential fatty acids that are great for your skin. Brazil nuts, Pumpkin seeds and Flaxseeds are good too. Hmmm I'm actually gonna go eat some now...lol

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 35
rippey HB User
Re: Almonds

Thanks Neca, that's great information. I'll mix it up a bit with the walnuts, etc. I've never been a big fan of eating nuts before but, like you, I love them now and they are probably the best thing about this diet. By the way, I take an Omega-3 supplement (fish oil) as well. I'm not sure if it has helped clear any acne, but it it seems to make my skin less dry.

 
Old 01-21-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 95
449271 HB User
Re: Almonds

how abt roasted almonds?is it gd for acne?

 
Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,042
prometheus HB User
Re: Almonds

I don't think you can eat too many raw almonds

 
Old 01-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 426
Neca HB User
Re: Almonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippey
By the way, I take an Omega-3 supplement (fish oil) as well. I'm not sure if it has helped clear any acne, but it it seems to make my skin less dry.
I took pure Omega-3 (dissolvable capsules) for three months some time back after reading all these positive things about it but never really noticed any change in my mild-moderate acne. I am currently taking one teaspoon of flaxseed oil per day and seeing much better results. I think the reason is because Alpha linolenic acid (ALA), another essential fatty acid, is an omega-3, oil, and the body turns it into EPA (an omega-3 oil found in Fish Oil). EPA is then turned into prostaglandins. BUT Flaxseed oil does not have all the same effects as Fish Oil, since the amount of ALA that is converted into EPA is much less than the amount of EPA found in Fish Oil. However, flaxseed oil has some effects that are not found with Fish Oil: it is an anti-inflammatory and also lowers blood pressure. My skin suffers alot from inflammation and redness but since taking Flaxseed, my inflammation seems to be greatly suppressed.

It just depends on the skin type of each person and how the body absorbs nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 449271
how abt roasted almonds?is it gd for acne?
It's advised not to buy blanched/cooked/roasted almonds as most of the nutrients within the nuts have been denatured from the cooking. Just eat raw nuts. The same goes with vegetables, the rawer the better. That's why it's suggested if you're gonna cook them, then they should be steamed and not fried or roasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
I don't think you can eat too many raw almonds
Well we are all different and I would say just eat as much as you THINK your body can handle. Overdoing anything in my opinion cannot really be a good thing.

 
Old 01-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26
fruitisgood0908 HB User
Re: Almonds

Hey Prometheus..I've got a question for ya. Well..I've never tried almond butter, but I've heard its pretty good..so decided to order some and give it a try. I ordered raw almond butter (which will hopefully get here soon!). Don't you eat raw almond butter? Is this an OK food to consume? Generally raw means not cooked..but I know that some brands can still be "technically" considered cooked since they are ground at such a high speed that it heats the almonds.....but I'm probably worrying too much! Just wondering!

L

 
Old 01-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 35
rippey HB User
Re: Almonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
I don't think you can eat too many raw almonds
What do you mean? You think too many would be harmfull? Or, you think eating too many isn't possible? Please clarify.......

 
Old 01-21-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 35
rippey HB User
Re: Almonds

[QUOTE=Neca]I took pure Omega-3 (dissolvable capsules) for three months some time back after reading all these positive things about it but never really noticed any change in my mild-moderate acne. I am currently taking one teaspoon of flaxseed oil per day and seeing much better results. I think the reason is because Alpha linolenic acid (ALA), another essential fatty acid, is an omega-3, oil, and the body turns it into EPA (an omega-3 oil found in Fish Oil). EPA is then turned into prostaglandins. BUT Flaxseed oil does not have all the same effects as Fish Oil, since the amount of ALA that is converted into EPA is much less than the amount of EPA found in Fish Oil. However, flaxseed oil has some effects that are not found with Fish Oil: it is an anti-inflammatory and also lowers blood pressure. My skin suffers alot from inflammation and redness but since taking Flaxseed, my inflammation seems to be greatly suppressed.


Neca, I am not an expert on this subject, but I was advised to avoid the capsules because the liquid oil version absorbs into our systme at a much higher ratio giving greater benefits. You're right on when you say the oil is showing better results, as it should.

 
Old 01-21-2004, 10:24 PM   #10
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,042
prometheus HB User
Re: Almonds

Lindsay, raw almond butter is awesome!! oh man, it is one of those earthly pleasures everyone should partake in. if not, they are missing out. I'm glad to say it is not only fine but very nutritious and also a really good substitute for peanut butter. As for roasted nuts, the only issue with roasted nuts is you never know what kind of oil they roast them in. That is the only problem. Dry roasted nuts are better tolerated and have comparable benefits to raw.

Rippey, I don't think it is unhealthy to consume a large amount of raw nuts in a day. Yes if you are not used to digesting nuts they may pose some difficulties but our bodies adapt, or atleast mine did. I never enjoyed nuts before I changed my diet and I'm so glad I did because man was I missing out!!

Last edited by prometheus; 01-21-2004 at 10:25 PM.

 
Old 01-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #11
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 15
nomoreacne HB User
Re: Almonds

I'm a vegan and eat 4 tablespoons of ground almonds in my oats everyday. The only side effect I've found is that it increases your bowel movements!! Plus I'm skinny so I could do with the extra fat.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
TMJ Cured with Almonds, Yes Almonds. Wapiti TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 4 11-19-2006 04:30 PM
TTC and Almonds nancy30 Trying to Conceive (TTC) 0 01-20-2006 02:10 PM
My new snack - almonds! sammy726 Weight Loss 4 06-09-2005 01:08 PM
Almonds? Losing Weight or Gaining Weight? Nixona Diet & Nutrition 8 05-16-2005 06:05 AM
Almonds THEM High Cholesterol 9 11-02-2004 10:51 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!