It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #1

Calisia HB User
Post Update and some info on hormonal acne

Hi everyone,
I thought I shoud be a good board member and share what I recently learned from my derm with you. After having a serious allergy to Spiro, I decided to change my derm because even though I put that I was allergic to sulfa-based drugs on my info sheet, they ignored that spiro is a sulfa drug. Sometimes, I really doubt their competence. I mean what do these people learn all those years of studying?? Anyways, I went back to my derm that I had seen years ago. She explained everything really clearly to me. Maybe some of you ladies can relate to my acne. So here's the info.
She said that mine is an adult onset hormonal acne. She said antibiotics fail to treat this kind of acne and that it was more like rosecea than the bacterial acne vulgaris. She said that hormonal fluctuations or sensitivities to hormones were to blame. She said that this was the reason why Accutane was usually not a permanent solution. Also, some women may simply get cured one day, without an apparent reason. Pregnancy might help or make it worse.
She basically prescribed me Yasmin and said that any low dose pill would help and she also gave me Tazorac. The way I should use is, at bedtime, I put it on my face after cleaning, leave it on for ONLY ONE minute and wash. She said this would be like a maintenance dose while Yasmin regulates hormones. My case is a mild one, so this may not work for everyone, but I really hope and really really wish that it works. After spiro experience I was very dissappointed, hopefully it wasn't my last option..
I'll keep you posted, hope this helps someone. Oh, by the way, she is supposedly one of the best derms in Southern California. I sure hope so..

------------------
Peace!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran

laur HB User
Calisia

Thank you for the information. I have been on the yasmin for 8 weeks now and just recently started breaking out again. So I am very depressed. I don't have my ovaries anymore so I admit I am rather surprised about the flare ups I am getting. Please keep me posted of your progress. What kind of acne do you have and what else have you tried? I get oil filled pimples...not always big.......but I hate them just the same. Right now I have ones that are coming out, ones that are healing and ones that are red marks left over. I am 38 years old and thought I would never have acne like this. I got the occasional pimple in high school, but this has been awful! My derm told me the same thing about the hormones, and I know the yasmin is definately in my body because my breasts hurt like they did when I was pregnant. I was wondering what your derm told you about the side effects and how long they would last and when to expect any good results. At this point I feel like I'm going 2 steps forward and 1 step back again. My confidence was pretty high before this last flare up began!! Thanks again for the info! Hopefully we will have both found our control with this little yellow pill. Also, just to mention: I am on wk 8 of ONLY the active pills. I don't skip a week because I no longer have periods.

Thanks
L

Old 03-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #3

FDNYwife HB User
Hi guys.

It's so strange how each of our bodies are different. I'm on week 7 of Yasmin and week 3 of Spiro and my body seems to be doing okay with them. I actually made it through ovulation this month without new cysts. I still have some smaller bumps and tons of flaming red scars but I'm really hopeful at this point. My hubby said my face looks better--encouraging. I hope Yasmin works for both of you.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
hi, can u guys explain where abouts on your face and what they look like lm suspecting lm suffering from hormonal acne too l only get about 4/5 of theses boil like spots but its every month about mid cycle without fail http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif near my mouth thanx http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 03-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #5

Calisia HB User
Hello Everyone and thanks for the replies,
Laur my acne is hormonal because they are red painful bumps that usually appear on my lower cheeks, close to my jaw and mouth. They are not very big, but they can be called very small cysts. They usually have no infection in them -thus the non-reponse to antibiotics due to lack of an infecting bactery-.
I started getting these when I was 20. During my teenager years I had a few zits, nothing like this though. I tried antibiotics, but my doctor does not like them so she switched me to Accutane two years ago. I took Orto-tri for birth control and hormonal regulation along with accutane 40 mg. It cleared my face completely. The red marks faded with time. Then 1.5 years later -now- I started breaking out again, after I quit Ortho-Tri. So, some other doctor put me on spiro and Ortho-Tri, but I got the allergic reaction. So, my derm advised me to try Yasmin, she said Ortho would work equally well. She sis not want to prescribe anything else since my acne is mild -it is persistent though- She also gave me tazorac gel 0.01, I put it for 1 minute at night and wash it.
I have been taking Yasmin for three days, I have a headache, I will tired and nauseous. Do any of you guys if this will go away? I was on Ortho for a long time and I didn't really experience these side effects, but maybe I don't remember correctly.
Let me know if you guys have questions. If you have a chance I recommend trying tazorac along with the hormonal treatment. But you should use it the way I do to avoid side effects, my derm said that hormonal acne does not require harsh therapies. Did you guys experience an initial breakout with Yasmin? I have really small teenage-like zits aorund my lips. This not very common for me to get, so I think it is due to Yasmin, did you have similar experiences?
Thanks!!!

Old 03-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran

laur HB User
Calisia

Yes I have had initial type breakouts while on the yasmin. I decided I may try the tazorac also. I have some here and will do as you are doing for a minute or so at night. I guess the yasmin has helped, but every couple of weeks I breakout a little bit again. I guess my body is adjusting. My initial breakout didn't start until week 2 1/2 or 3, then another one at week 5 1/2 and now again at week 8 1/2. I don't take the inactive white pills so actually I am now almost thru week 9.

As far as side effects: Yes I felt tired and nauseous for the first week as I recall but that went away. But My breast size has increased about 2 or 3 cup sizes if you can believe that!!! LOL The tenderness is still pretty steady and I am not sure how long that lasts. I've never taken the BC pill before. Keep posting to update your progress and good luck! By the way, Yes I get the tiny pimples around the mouth...nothing in them but oil?? Is that what yours are like??

L

Old 03-10-2003, 01:35 PM   #7

FDNYwife HB User
This is my second round with Yasmin. I was on it for a year and then went off for 3 months. My first experience on it was a little worse than this one. I was quite nauseous in the mornings until mid day. For a while I thought I was pregnant! This time I'm taking them right before I go to bed and that has helped tremendously. I'm also tired a lot but I think for me it has more to do with it being winter and not exercising. I also had the initial break out. It was nasty because I was right in the middle of my cycle when it started so I had the usual acne from that and then the new acne from Yasmin. It was pretty painful because I had some really sore and ugly cysts between my eyes. But, everything is pretty much cleared up now and it's only my 2nd month. My skin is far from perfect but the Yasmin definitely seems to be kicking in.

Old 03-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #8

African Violet HB User
I don't know what type of acne I have. I totally agree with you Calisia about these dermatologists. I have seen 4 of them within the last year (most are well known with some celebrity clients and their own skin lines and yet they can't seem to help) and I haven't seen any real results yet. It's funny because one will totally disagree with what another said to me previously. Usually right before my period I develop a type of rash all over my face that lasts about 2-3 days and then it turns into brown dry patches. One derm told me it was ezcema or acne rosacea. Other times of the month I have acne primarily on my nose and cheeks, some open and some closed. I have tried antibiotics and some other topical medications. I mentioned spirolactone to the last derm I saw and she said that it took too long to see any results with it and wasn't worth my time. I think it's worth a shot though. Calisia, I may try what your derm suggested about rinsing the Tazorac off after a minute. I tried Tazorac before and it was too strong for me and made my skin irritated and red.

Old 03-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #9

Calisia HB User
Hello again,
Laur, it is funny that we have the same kind of pimples as a reaction to Yasmin, mine are oil filled small zits too. I even have them on my nose, it's very strange for me to have them since I never get that kind of zits. I don't mind them though, because what bothers me is the red painful pimples that I get on my cheeks. As I said, I have been on birth control before. Your experience is not uncommon. I usually get my initial breakout and get used to the medication shortly after that, but I know that for many women it is not as easy. Breast enlargment is very common, I am glad I don't get that because I am already a C cup and I am very petite. Basically, the breast issue is the way your body responds to estrogen, and it may affect you even more since you had your ovaries removed. I am sure with time it will get better but if not, you can try other brands. I tried many different brands and found that I can pretty much tolerate estrogen well, but it is the progestion that I have problems with (overactive appetite and depression).
African Violet, I really recommend the Tazorac the way I use it because skin irritation was my problem too with other topicals but now I have no irritation and a lot less oil.
For some reason my skin is so much less oilier. I am not sure if it is the saw palmetto, jojoba oil, tazorac or Yasmin. It has been only 5 days since I am using all these??
I will update my situtation and hopefully we can all find out whether Yasmin and Tazorac work for hormonal acne.

------------------
Peace!

Old 03-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #10
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
i live in san diego too, can you give the derms name? even though i hate derms lol

Old 03-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #11

Calisia HB User
Hi,
My derm's name is Mary Dobry. Her office is on La Jolla Village Drive (at the corner of Regents).

------------------
Peace!

Old 03-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
Hi,
This is my 3rd week using Yasmin, and my skin is so bad. I also started using retin-A micro about 7 weeks ago. My skin broke out really bad initially from the Retin-A, than levelled off i think. But once i started taking Yasmin, it got back to being really bad. i have some small pimples around my mouth,and really large cysts on both my cheeks, and some at the side of my head. My skin tone has evened out and looks healthy from the retin-a, but it is very dry. I use jojoba oil at night and Olay Total Effects with sunscreen on the day. I hope my skin gets better soon....

Old 03-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #13

Rach8i8 HB User
This is my 4th week on Yasmin. I did get the werid initial break out between my eyes on the 1st and 2nd weeks. Now I have the typical "before I start" breakout. (3-4 small-medium cysts on my chin) I have had acne now off and on for about 3 years.. I'm 27 now. Like alot I never had problems in my teens. Every derm I have been to has labeled it hormonal. I have tried just about everything at this point, all the creams, anti, bc etc. Tomorrow I go for my 2nd round of blood tests to get Accutane. I would say I have mild persisent acne. I know this may sound a bit extreme to be trying the accutane w/ mild acne, but I'll do anything at this point to get rid of it.. Even if it's only temporary. (which I'm hoping it's not) Anyhow just wanted to add my situation to the list since this pertains to exactly what I have.
Good luck everyone.

Old 03-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #14

Calisia HB User
Did any of the Yasmin users experience appetite increase? I am talking about a loud stomach and constant feeling of starvation? Does it go away?? Please say yes.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #15

abm2532 HB User
I take Yasmin to help clear my skin and PMS. It has caused an appetite decrease in me. I think my hormones were wacky before and the estrogen/progesterone imbalance made me crave carbohydrates. I am just lucky I work out after all the chocolate I wanted. Has anyone experienced weight gain with Yasmin? If so, was it due to appetite increase? TIA

Closed Thread