It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 PM   #1

blue4ever HB User
Hooray for Accutane!!!

I have been struggling with acne for the past 10 years, but 2 months ago I decided to give Accutane a try despite all the negative criticism. I have never had severe acne, but persistent acne and had tried nearly everything as far as I was concerned....but 3 months ago after reading comments posted on this board I decided it was worth a shot. And so now, just 2 months into the cycle I am 100% acne free.
So my advice to those with persistent acne is to give it a try. Unlike those with severe acne I am only taking half the dosage, 20mg instead of 40mg or more for those weighing about 120 pounds. Because of this decreased dosage I didn't have any of those nasty side effects people were talking about except for slightly chapped lips which went away. I also started using Olay Regenerist which got rid of my naturally flaky skin without making it oily.
If any of you have questions about using accutane I would be happy to answer them for you.

good luck!!

Old 01-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #2

zitzapper HB User
Re: Hooray for Accutane!!!

Hey I'm glad to hear about your success!! I myself have had acne for about 5 years and i'm really considering getting accutane. My only problem is that my doctor and a derm i went to said mine wasn't serious enough to get it prescribed. Any advice?? And did you experience any hair loss at all while on accutane? What did you use to wash with and moisturize too. I have some weeks when my acne seems to be drying up and then i have a breakout which really gets me discouraged. I have tried almost everything in the book. I'm just worried that if i take accutane now, it'll come back down the road worse than before. My parents say that i'm going to out grow it just like my dad did cause my mom never had acne. My dad said his was worse than mine but it just stopped when he turned 22. I'm 19 now but am tired of not having any self confidence which really sucks at college! Thanks for the responses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Almostpretty HB User
Smile Re: Hooray for Accutane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4ever
I have been struggling with acne for the past 10 years, but 2 months ago I decided to give Accutane a try despite all the negative criticism. I have never had severe acne, but persistent acne and had tried nearly everything as far as I was concerned....but 3 months ago after reading comments posted on this board I decided it was worth a shot. And so now, just 2 months into the cycle I am 100% acne free.
So my advice to those with persistent acne is to give it a try. Unlike those with severe acne I am only taking half the dosage, 20mg instead of 40mg or more for those weighing about 120 pounds. Because of this decreased dosage I didn't have any of those nasty side effects people were talking about except for slightly chapped lips which went away. I also started using Olay Regenerist which got rid of my naturally flaky skin without making it oily.
If any of you have questions about using accutane I would be happy to answer them for you.

good luck!!
Hi Blue,
It sounds like you and I are in similar situations. I have had acne for about 10yrs. It has never been more than moderate. I hardly ever got a cyst, maybe once a year. I have tried tons of topicals over the years but nothing completely cured. The biggest problem was trying to find a derm to take me seriously since my acne wasn't "severe enough". But finally after years, I found a derm that was willing to try what I wanted. I started accutane exactly 2 weeks ago. Had my first appointment post-accutane today. Everything looks good. Hopefully I can be totally clear in a couple of months! It has been so long since I haven't had a skin problem I don't even know what clear skin feels like. Can't wait to find out!

Old 01-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Almostpretty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzapper
Hey I'm glad to hear about your success!! I myself have had acne for about 5 years and i'm really considering getting accutane. My only problem is that my doctor and a derm i went to said mine wasn't serious enough to get it prescribed. Any advice?? And did you experience any hair loss at all while on accutane? What did you use to wash with and moisturize too. I have some weeks when my acne seems to be drying up and then i have a breakout which really gets me discouraged. I have tried almost everything in the book. I'm just worried that if i take accutane now, it'll come back down the road worse than before. My parents say that i'm going to out grow it just like my dad did cause my mom never had acne. My dad said his was worse than mine but it just stopped when he turned 22. I'm 19 now but am tired of not having any self confidence which really sucks at college! Thanks for the responses

Hey Zitzapper,
I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't matter how severe your acne is, if you have it consistenly for a few years, YOU WILL DEVELOP SCARS. I wish my doctors had considered that when they told me I would eventually grow out of it. The acne, Maybe, but you can't outgrow enlarged pores and ice pick scarring.
As far as I concerned, no amount of acne is acceptable. If your doctor still refuses letting you try treatments you desire, tell him you're switching doctors.

Hope everything works out!

Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

You know, I have been hesitent, even though my derm said it was ok for me, to go on Accutane for my mild to moderate acne. Oddly, though, I never put it together that the smaller the dosage, the lessened the side effects will be. I have just always been so worried about the dry skin, chapped lips and whatever else. I think I might give it a go...thanks for your story!

Old 01-21-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

By the way, at the low dose, how bad was your initial breakout and how long did it last?

Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #7

zitzapper HB User

yeah i was curious about the initial outbreak too. did you notice any side effects?

Old 01-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #8
Inactive

SOG777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzapper
yeah i was curious about the initial outbreak too. did you notice any side effects?
My derm didn't prescribe it for me but I bought my online for $2300 for two terms worth total 8 months. Anyways it is worth it. There is an initial breakout for the first 1-2 months and actually it continues to break out albiet much less severely until the end of treatment. 1 month after the treatment you will see the best results. Nearly PERFECT SKIN. Woo-hoo, I got so many beautiful girls giving me the eye after my treatment. What a great feeling. Hopefully after the end of my second course in April 2004 my acne will clear forever.

Just remember
1.) Dont get preggers on accutane
2.) Don't take antibiotics on accutane (it swells your brain)

Side effects for me: Very chapped lips, red face but kills most of acne, headache sometimes (slight swelling in brain), nausea, itchy eyes. That's about it. When I do 80mg per day it really makes me feel bad but under 60mg is fine. I weigh around 175 lbs.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #9

zitzapper HB User

holy crap that's expensive!!

Old 01-22-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
Inactive

prometheus HB User

I could buy a lot of almond butter with that.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:38 AM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

it does make me wonder though, why people gripe about the cost of high quality food when healing acne, when 2,300 dollars is worth it for having clear skin for a few months with side effects.

maybe he means 230 dollars

Last edited by prometheus; 01-22-2004 at 09:40 AM.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
Inactive

SOG777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
it does make me wonder though, why people gripe about the cost of high quality food when healing acne, when 2,300 dollars is worth it for having clear skin for a few months with side effects.

maybe he means 230 dollars

No I mean $2300 USD. I spent total of ~$5000 USD on my skin which does not include the dermatologist visits billing my insurance company.

Also accutane heals acne forever in some people. I used to get acne all over my face, neck, scalp and big ones too, extremely annoying. After the first treatment with accutane there were only occasional breakouts on the face only.

I am on the second treatment course and hopefully this time my acne will DIE FOREVER. woo-hoo.

Last edited by SOG777; 01-22-2004 at 01:08 PM.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #13

blue4ever HB User

I tried to respond earlier, but I guess it didn't go through...Anyways, here is what I said.
First, I can't claim to know all there is about accutane, I can only suggest what worked for you. If you weigh about 120 pounds and have moderate acne then what I did might work for you. I took 20 mg a day of accutane, the normal amount for my weight would be 40 mg. I got it off the website valuepharmaceuticals.com and I found them to offer the lowest price. (I searched for hours to find the best price) For a 3 month supply at 20 mg a day, it costs almost 300 dollars. If you purchase it elsewhere it could be much more expensive. Normally, your derm would want you to use Accutane for a 6 month period and then stop. But with this low dosage, you would instead keep taking the Accutane for an additional 3 months. That is 9 months total. If you have a dermatologist you should just ask them about what they would reccommend. I spoke with 2 girls on this site and both did the 20mg a day for 9 months so I imagine that is correct. So the total amount for this period would be less than 1000 dollars if you order it from the website I mentioned. The good news is that you do NOT need a prescription to order from them but it is necessary that you are aware of all the side effects and so forth.
Speaking of side effects, I did not have an initial breakout whatsoever. After a week or so my skin had a slightly bumpy texture which went away after about 2 weeks, and slightly chapped lips. Those are the only side effects I have had.
If you guys have any more questions just ask!!

Old 01-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #14

zitzapper HB User

so blue4ever,do you plan on continuing on with the accutane for 9 months or did you quit after the one month when you became clear?

Old 01-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
(female)

j54 HB User

Hey there. Blue4ever it sounds like I am fairly similar to you - I don't have very bad acne but it is persistant and really gets me down at times. I went to a derm last week for the first time and she had no issues and even suggested I take accutane. I have had the blood tests and things and am due to start my treatment this week - but I am really starting to freak out. I am a teacher, and we start back and school this week, so I don't want to look bad but I'm worried that I'll get an initial breakout that's worse than what I am used to. It has slightly encouraged me that you didn't have a breakout, and I'm only starting on 10mg for a week then 20mg for two weeks then up to 30mg for the rest - I weigh 45kg, I think that's just under 100lbs. I guess I should just take the bull by the horns and hope that it works for me like it did for you. Can you please also let me know what cleansing regime you used while on it? I read you can't exfoliate, but I already have some flakey skin so wonder how I will get rid of it if it gets worse. Argh! I am stressing! That won't be helping my skin!
Another thing - in New Zealand it has only cost me $15, around $8 USD for 90 10mg pills. Maybe it is subsidised here or something.

Closed Thread