It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #1

Boozer HB User
Breakout around mouth

Does anyone else breakout around their mouth? In the past week I have had several pimples above my lip and sort of on my lip. Does anyone know what could be causing these all of the sudden. The rest of my face is relativley clear which is why it so weird. Any advice on how to deal with these breakouts? I was thinking of getting an all natural toothpaste and lib balm to see if that helps. Any help is appreciated, this is very embarrasing. Thanks.

Also, what do you think I should use to dry this one on my lip up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User
Re: Breakout around mouth

I notice that when I don't brush my teeth as well, i break out around my mouth. Pimples are caused by bacteria, and our mouths are certainly full of it. I use Listerine every day, which is supposed to get rid of a TON of bacteria. It seems insignificant, but you never know. I also think that I get pimples around my mouth when I drool in my sleep. When i get pimples, they are often in the exact same place the drool was. Sounds gross, but I know there are people out there that understand this.

In terms of dealing with the pimples, try Carmex. It's meant for cold sores, but it works for me. I also use Vaseline on my lips because it's noncomedogenic. Some people say you can even use it on your face to prevent peeling and chapping. I haven't had the nerve to do that because Vaseline feels greasy and I can't stop associating it with pimples... Anyway, it's a big improvement from a lot of oily lip glosses out there. And to me, Vaseline feels great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Yeah, I sometimes put Vaseline on my skin and it's never given me any problems. I carry some around for my lips which never quite recovered from accutane (or maybe I just got used to putting it on my lips whilst I was on accutane ) and if I catch sight of a dry skin patch in the mirror I use the Vaseline.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

After eating, instead of just wiping your mouth with a napkin, actually wash around the mouth, especially at the corners.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #5

CocoEstrada HB User

lip stick or lip gloss you have been using? happens to me sometimes.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #6

Boozer HB User

I just bought some Herbal Answer Blistex. Has anyone tried it before?
Ingredients: Aloe, Chamomile, Avocado, Jojoba, Shea Butter. Active Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Oxybenzone, Petrolatum. Does anyone know if these ingredients clog your pores?

I will try rinsing with Listerine and washing my face after eating. What do you recommend I wash with while at work? Maybe I should use one of those facial towels just around my mouth? I am also making a conscious effort to not touch my lips. I have a bad habit of resting my fingers on my lips.

On another subject, has anyone tried Seabreeze Astringent? What do you guys think about astringents in general.

Last edited by Boozer; 01-22-2004 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
(female)

cassma HB User

I saw a dermatologist a few months ago for this exact problem - he called it "perioral dermatitis." I had little red bumps around my upper lip and almost like a cold sore in the corner of my mouth and my lips were very chapped. I was a chapstick addict and I thought maybe that was causing it (this was before I saw the dr.) so I switched to cocoa butter stick for my lips. He gave me a special cleanser and a lotion (desonide?) for flare-ups. He said people who don't usually have acne problems as they grow up tend to get this condition. Spicy foods and caffeine can trigger flare-ups. I haven't had problems with this lately, but now more recently I am having more break-outs on my chin and at the top of my nose between my eyes! I am 35 and don't want to deal with this!

Old 01-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #8
(female)

sassykitten74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer
I just bought some Herbal Answer Blistex. Has anyone tried it before?
Ingredients: Aloe, Chamomile, Avocado, Jojoba, Shea Butter. Active Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Oxybenzone, Petrolatum. Does anyone know if these ingredients clog your pores?

I will try rinsing with Listerine and washing my face after eating. What do you recommend I wash with while at work? Maybe I should use one of those facial towels just around my mouth? I am also making a conscious effort to not touch my lips. I have a bad habit of resting my fingers on my lips.

On another subject, has anyone tried Seabreeze Astringent? What do you guys think about astringents in general.

any chance you have infected hair follicles from shaving? Try changing your pillowcase often and make sure you clean your phones.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #9

Boozer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykitten74
any chance you have infected hair follicles from shaving? Try changing your pillowcase often and make sure you clean your phones.
Quite possibly. I do notice that I have a few new breakouts after shaving. How do I prevent these infected hair follicles? I use a Sensor Excel shaving blade with Aveeno shaving cream. I shave in the shower because I heard the steam can soften you facial hair. I don't generally use a moisturizer, just if I feel my skin is really dry. What would be the best moisturizer? Do you know of any shaving creams that are better? Thanks is advance.

Another poster mentioned caffeine and spicy foods as a possible culprit. I am going to try to cut these as much as possible to see if it helps.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
(female)

sassykitten74 HB User

YOu shave with warm/hot water I am assuming? That opens up your pores. I think after shaving you should use a toner or astrigent or maybe even Tend Skin after you shave. Also, you should splash your face with cold water to close your pores too before you use the toner. This is what I do to avoid getting ingrown hairs in other areas so it might help to keep your hair follicles from getting inflamed. I like pure zone moisturizer myself-it keeps my skin soft without causing breakouts.

Closed Thread