It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #1

the kid HB User
Post VERY chapped lips...help!!!

Hi everybody,

I on Accutane, 60mg/day. So far, one more month to go and end of my treatment. I must say, Accutane is a miracle drug. IT works. But comes at a cost. Severe drying of skin (not just your face, but all body parts)! The problem with me is that, my lips are really chapped. I am using chapstick but it doesn't help. In fact it annoys me. Putting it every 30 minutes causes a film of white stuf to build on my lip and it looks disgusting. The Doc recommended cocoa butter, but not too good either. Everyday my lips would bleed like crazy. WHen I eat, I would see a little blood on my utensils. When I wake up iin the morning, my lip is full of blood. Once, I had this dried patch of blood stuck there, but I washed it off, blood began to gush out.

What can I Do?!!?!? This is kiLLing mE!!!!!!!!

My derm keeps telling me to use chapstick. But next week I'm seeing my new derm, the previous one was horrible, very inattentive, and a whole list of reasons.

anyhow, what can I DO?!

Thanks

Old 03-13-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran

TiredOfThisAll HB User
Maybe you did this.. but you should have been applying aquaphor every single day.. many times a day.. since day 1 of accutane..I use aquaphor (although i think i can blame that for the zits around my lips) and chapstick overnight lip treatement... withi a normal chap stick int he day... i apply as often as i can... my lips are getting bad. but not too bad.. im on 80 mg a day on month 3.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran

laur HB User
Try HERPECIN found by the chapstick and cold sore medications.......goes on white and stays better that chapstick. also try to put on jojoba oil first and then put on the herpecin. It has helped me.

Aquaphor was ok but makes me breakout. Some people like Burts Beeswax, but I've never found this anywhere so far

L

Old 03-15-2003, 07:39 AM   #4

fumatore20 HB User
I was on accutane about 2 years ago and I still have dry lips. I know exactly what you mean about the dry lips. What i found that helps, besides the aquafore, is Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. Put on a very light coating on your lips for the day and put as much as you want on at night. It helped me.

Old 03-15-2003, 07:55 AM   #5

mark00 HB User
Aquaphor! Seriously, it works much better than chapstick. Give it a shot.

Old 03-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #6

Evelyn HB User
I swear by Aquaphor and use it every night before I go to bed. It's very moisturizing and dirt-cheap for the amount you get. It can be found at any drugstore. HTH

Old 03-16-2003, 05:08 AM   #7

pacersbabe HB User
I'm on Accutane and I use something called Zim's Crack Creme and it works great on me!! Maybe it will for you to. If your lips are chapped which I know they are it does burn a little when you put it on at first but if you just keep using it it should heal them. It did mine. At Wal*mart it's 3.96 where I live but they also have a website you can buy it off of. Hope I helped.

Old 03-16-2003, 10:21 AM   #8

jennifer bruns HB User
hi I was on acutane also 40mgs two one day one the next. For my lips I used Chapstick lip balm in the black tube. I applied it all the time the second my lips even felt a little dry on it went. then I did this two or three times a day whatever I had time for i put vaseline on a washcloth and scrubbed my lips w/ it it hurt and they got sore but worked so good. I then would put my chapstick on. My lips looked so good the whole time the doc asked me what I did to them and he now suggests it to his patients. Hope this helps. Jen

Old 03-16-2003, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

Wildpink HB User
Hi, please try Lucas Paw Paw Ointment. It is an ointment made of Paw Paw extract - it doesnt taste or smell and it goes on clear. Its so good, when I was on Accutane I used this. I would coat my lips with about half an inch (lol, maybe not quite) before i went to sleep and by the time i would wake up in the morning it would all be moisturised into the skin and my lips were then soft for the day. The reason why this is so good is because it exfoliates the skin at the same time (u cant feel it or nothing) which means it gets rid of the dry skin and puts all moisture back into it. anyway, i dunno if u can buy it in the states though. u can look it up on the net probably.

Closed Thread