It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #1

orange HB User
cantaloupes, can it cause pimples (been eating this a lot)

Any correlation between this and pimples? This seems to be like my new favorite fruit to eat while i'm bored so i tend to go overboard on this fruit. Just curious if there anything i should know about this and if theres any correlation to it causing pimples?

Old 01-21-2004, 06:31 PM   #2

lazloe HB User
Re: cantaloupes, can it cause pimples (been eating this a lot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange
Any correlation between this and pimples? This seems to be like my new favorite fruit to eat while i'm bored so i tend to go overboard on this fruit. Just curious if there anything i should know about this and if theres any correlation to it causing pimples?

Actually, cantaloupe is recommended as a fruit TO EAT when combating pimples. However, on a different note, anything in large quantities can be bad.

What you're really trying to combat when you decide to take a diet approach to fighting your acne is abnormal blood sugar levels.

So, whenever you eat 2 whole cantaloupe in one sitting, while the fruit is excellent for fighting acne and highly recommended, even it can cause problems.

I eat a half a honeydew every once in a while, just because they're so good. I wouldn't worry much at all!

Believe it or not cantaloupe is one of the <highly recommended> foods for fighting acne. Have fun and don't let the juice run down your chin to much

Last edited by lazloe; 01-21-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazloe
Actually, cantaloupe is recommended as a fruit TO EAT when combating pimples. However, on a different note, anything in large quantities can be bad.

What you're really trying to combat when you decide to take a diet approach to fighting your acne is abnormal blood sugar levels.

So, whenever you eat 2 whole cantaloupe in one sitting, while the fruit is excellent for fighting acne and highly recommended, even it can cause problems.

I eat a half a honeydew every once in a while, just because they're so good. I wouldn't worry much at all!

Believe it or not cantaloupe is one of the <highly recommended> foods for fighting acne. Have fun and don't let the juice run down your chin to much
I agree with Lazloe, while Cantalopes do have acne-fighting properties (or rather they contain Vitamin A which is excellent for the skin) they do come pretty high up on the Fruit's glycemic index meaning that eating too many will undoubtably raise your blood sugar levels thus possibly causing pimples.

Have a look at Glycemic index below for fruits to get an idea on which fruits your body can sustain over-eating.

Fruit
apple 38
apricots 57
apple juice 40
blueberry 59
banana 56
cantalope 65
cherries 22
grapefruit juice 48
dates 103
orange juice 46
grapefruit 25
pineapple juice 46
grapes 46
kiwi 52
mango 55
orange 43
papaya 58
peach 42
pear 58
pineapple 66
plums 39
prunes 15
raisins 64
watermelon 72

This is slightly off-topic but still related to food. If you really want healthy looking skin then drink Carrot juice (not concentrate, just pure carrot juice) at least 3 times a week. This stuff is so effective in making your skin look good. It doesn't taste too good though so add some apple juice too it and it actually goes down pretty well.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
I agree with Lazloe, while Cantalopes do have acne-fighting properties (or rather they contain Vitamin A which is excellent for the skin) they do come pretty high up on the Fruit's glycemic index meaning that eating too many will undoubtably raise your blood sugar levels thus possibly causing pimples.

Have a look at Glycemic index below for fruits to get an idea on which fruits your body can sustain over-eating.

Fruit
apple 38
apricots 57
apple juice 40
blueberry 59
banana 56
cantalope 65
cherries 22
grapefruit juice 48
dates 103
orange juice 46
grapefruit 25
pineapple juice 46
grapes 46
kiwi 52
mango 55
orange 43
papaya 58
peach 42
pear 58
pineapple 66
plums 39
prunes 15
raisins 64
watermelon 72

This is slightly off-topic but still related to food. If you really want healthy looking skin then drink Carrot juice (not concentrate, just pure carrot juice) at least 3 times a week. This stuff is so effective in making your skin look good. It doesn't taste too good though so add some apple juice too it and it actually goes down pretty well.
i shall try that, im getting a blender soon so il make it from real hard fresh carrots..cool.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #5

whuteva HB User

I heard that they are great for skin aswell. But I also heard that they have much better nutritional value and better effects on the skin if eatin on an empty stomac, so I eat it in the morning. I dont think you will get much benifits eating when not empty. Dont remember why though.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuteva
But I also heard that they have much better nutritional value and better effects on the skin if eatin on an empty stomach

VERY GOOD POINT! I too have also heard that if you want to make the most of the nutritional benefits, it is better that you have an empty stomach. The same goes for fruits ESPECIALLY melons. If you go to a restaurant you will normally see melons on the starter list.

If you talk to any nutritionalist they will advise you that fruits must ALWAYS be eaten on their own or at least 30mins-45mins before eating anything else. The best time being, as 'Whuteva' said, in the morning.

Here is the reason: if you eat fruit AFTER you have had a meal then fermentation occurs in the gut. The fruit can't progress in the digestive process because it is stuck behind a queue of food which takes much longer to digest. Therefore you are likely to experience indigestion/bloating. Melons are digested the fastest of all fruits.

The annoying thing is is that eating fruit as a dessert is what I love doing. You can't enjoy a nice roast chicken after having consumed an apple/kiwi.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:43 PM   #7

annonymousgirl HB User

lol...............

Old 01-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymousgirl
lol...............

LOL, that is true. Why not enjoy a nice bowl of red cabbage..it's kinda sweet instead ;-)

Anyway, if you look up the Glycemic Load, instead of the Index, you will find that most fruits are safe to eat. Bananas are Medium Carbs (low, med, high) and cause myself and a few others on here problems. I eat cantalopes all the time, no probs for me.

Closed Thread