It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
Inactive

prometheus HB User
Attention Europeans who like your supplements

Do you like your freedom of health? Do you like your B5?

Well, in August 2005, over 300 bioavailable nutrient forms present in over 5000 safe vitamin and mineral products that include a large number of the safest, most readily absorbed and most effective, food derived forms will be banned from the market because of the EU Food Supplements Directive (FSD) passed in Europe by member state governments in June 2002. The list of banned items includes natural vitamin E forms, cartenoids, methylcobalamin, all forms of sulphur, boron, silicon, vanadium, and most trace elements, along with the most readily absorbed and safest forms of magnesium, calcium, zinc, selenium, chromium, and molybdenum. It will also severely limit doses of vitamins and nutrients allowed in other products and will remove all high dose products from the market. This will also gravely hinder new innovations in nutrient supplements and natural health care.

And if you think Americans are unaffected by this, think again. Just as we are trying to push our genetically modified foods on Europe, Europe will be trying to push their draconian vitamin supplement laws on us. The EU Directive is going to be used as a blueprint for establishing international dietary supplement laws at Codex of which the US has agreed to adopt.

The Alliance for Natural Health (ANH), consumer advocacy group based in Britain, has been allowed to challenge the FSD at the LAST MINUTE. With the pharmaceutical company backing the EU Directive, and the fact that the EU directive is very rarely turned down, this is an enormous feat. They are badly in need of support, both European and American alike. So if you like your natural acne treatments, as I know I like mine, then please show your support for the Alliance for Natural Health in any way you can.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-23-2004 at 07:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: Attention Europeans who like your supplements

prometheus, I've heard about this. Is there some sort of online petition against the veto? In fairness, I think there is a flip-side to this, insomuch as (in the UK at least) there are many dubious supplement preparations available. The press warned us (around last summer) that we were being fooled into thinking we need supplements that we don't so that the companies could boost revenue.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

That's just how they convince you to support the pharmaceutical industry. The pharmaceutical industry does the same thing by running ads on television. Atleast here they do it with drugs for psychological "diseases." Here, as shown in polls, the majority of people actually believe our FDA would only allow the safest and most effective drugs to be advertised. This is simply not so. They make average, normal, healthy people sound like they have psychological diseases and "chemical imbalances" which have never been proven or demonstrated to be the cause of psychological distress. The vitamin supplements that they will be banning have shown to be some of the safest and most useful supplements on the market, which is exactly why they are banning them.

There is no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak, the law should just prevent companies from making unfounded claims about their products, if they are. And if they are dangerous they should be taken off the market, but the vast majority of these vitamins are not dangerous and many of them are of great benefit to people.

there may be some online petitions. i do not know

Last edited by prometheus; 01-25-2004 at 06:23 AM.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

that sux..i want to carry on eating healthy even though i don't have acne, because i felt great whilst i was, but anyway that suks, some of the foods i eat wont be available ...i doubt this will happen though..they wouldn't strain food industries like that, and atm, healthy food is becoming really popular in the uk right now, what with the new fast food place Subway, jhart will know what im talking about..its wayyy better than maccie d's. ey jhart?

Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Vortex, the ban is only aimed at dietary supplements in tablet and powder form. I don't think anything's about to change with respect to foodstuffs, more's the pity. Yeah, I agree Subway is better than McDonald's but I don't think either are good at all. I used to think that a sandwich was a far healthier option than a burger and fries, but most of the options in Subway are meat and cheese based. Personally I wish we'd see less of these American chains opening up in the UK (Subway is an American firm) and more healthier initiatives.

I don't think I've seen a person under 18 eating fruit in town before. All I see in Cardiff are people munching on fast food rubbish. If we ate the correct foods in the first place we wouldn't have to worry about sanctions on supplements because we'd have all the nutrition we require in our meals. Unfortunately the UK is bracketed into the EU in which most countries have far healthier eating habbits.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

By the way, Vortex, do you mean to say you've eliminated your acne entirely now? I'm glad you want to stick to a good diet - it gives you so much more energy, doesn't it.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
Inactive

prometheus HB User

yes i understand jhart, but I also believe there are people that need nutrient supplements, despite diet. I don't think they should have to go to a doctor to get it. The elderly, the sick, the recovering, and the weak could all benefit from it. There are many journals on the benefits of supplementing with the elderly.

There is only so much I can do with my diet. Most of the foods we have available to us from conventional farms are not foods that our ancestors ate, or would have had available. If I want to take megadoses of resveratrol to extend my lifespan, I should be able to. If I want to take a massive dose of CoQ10 to kill parasites, or large doses of it to prevent degenerative neurological diseases, I should be able to. If you want to take B5 in large amounts to prevent acne, you should be able to.

and companies should be able to market it and invent new nutritional aids.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-25-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Prometheus,
Oh yeah I've signed the pettition and I've emailed some forms to my representatives several times now. It's funny I'm not an LEF Member, but they still send me free magazines, LOL (eventually I'll sign up). I decided to look up some nutrition books at the library and bumped into Methusulah (I think you've mentioned them) and the Life Extension Companion. I decided I'd check out the LE Companion since they were mentioned in the other book. While it's an old copy, I bet they are still more-up-to date then others are now.

If you guys do a search on the internet you should find a place to petition. It's really amazing what the government has allowed drug companies to get away with and this would be devasting (another reason to rely more on diet). I mean the food companies do what WE want them to do. If we all pettion and start asking and complaining about food choices, they have no choice but to give us healthier foods. If that happens, the government will hopefully subsidize Fruits & Vegetables (should have decades ago) to make them more affordable for us, like they do with all the unhealthy foods. =)

Old 01-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
(male)

rpav HB User

A ban like this would be crazy. The stupid governements and their money driven plans can make a person go nuts.
First off, the supplement market is (not sure) quit big. If they would ban supplements before smoking, I would give them a piece of my mind, or maybe the whole thing. What they should do is get rid of fat, salty, greasy, processed foods first (yes, they are good and I eat them, but in moderation), but if they were not around, I wouldn't eat them and crave them as much.
I hope and kind of doubt something like this would happen though. I think it would be to big of a market to take down, and yet one that promotes health out of anything.

Sometimes I just don't know, what is our world coming to?

Old 01-26-2004, 06:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I say we [the UK] should ditch the EU and join NAFTA

Closed Thread