It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
Well, it's official...

...my derm is prescribing me Accutane. I am encouraged and terrified all at the same time.

I'm terrified of:

the initial breakout being bad
getting acne in places that I don't even have it right now
the side effects...dry skin, lips, aches, pains and possible depression
that there will be days when I can't go to work because I look or feel so bad
that it won't work

I'm encouraged:

that I am finally trying the one thing that could clear it up forever
that I can, maybe, go off the pill after this and have a baby
that I might be the type of person who doesn't have a horrible breakout at first

I am so confused right now but I know that there is no other hope of becoming completely clear forever. Everything else has only covered the problem for a while.

I'm 31 years old and I actually cried in the derm's office today....I haven't done that ever. I'm not sure if I am crying because I am sad and frustrated or because I might finally be free of this issue.

Anyone else in my shoes right now?

Old 01-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #2

Cat_erpillar HB User
Re: Well, it's official...

Hi there! I also went to the derm about a week ago and she prescribed me Accutane, after 11 years of acne and many scars to remember it by! I also cried! (Although I tried to hold it in as much as possible as I felt rather embarrassed). A week on it, and I've broken out a little, but nothing drastic. No real bad side effect until now. I have suffered from depression for a few years (without being on accutane), but in the past few weeks I have felt much better. I think just the hope that I might be cleared up from acne is really helping me to feel better about myself and the future. Don't be afraid of the side effects, because the likelihood is that they won't be that strong and will be worth it for being free from acne. Good luck, and let us now how it goes! Thinking of you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Thank you so much Cat. I know it's a rather personal experience, but I'd love it if you'd keep me posted on your expeience. I won't be starting my treatment until after Feb 19th, because I am going on vacation and don't want to break out while I'm there. I will let you know how mine goes too.

I'm also going to keep an accutane journal...you see so much negative out there, I am hoping to be a positive case for those in our shoes.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #4

Cat_erpillar HB User

Cool, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Have a great holiday, and keep thinking positive!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 AM   #5

cherilyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyFace
Thank you so much Cat. I know it's a rather personal experience, but I'd love it if you'd keep me posted on your expeience. I won't be starting my treatment until after Feb 19th, because I am going on vacation and don't want to break out while I'm there. I will let you know how mine goes too.

I'm also going to keep an accutane journal...you see so much negative out there, I am hoping to be a positive case for those in our shoes.

just a question for you two. before considering the accutane, just curious if your doctor talked about spirnolactone for your acne. i'm female, 32 and deal with hormonal acne mainly on my chin. the spiro has helped alot but it's not a cure, it's a temporary fix and i'm sure once i go off it, my acne will return. my question is, what type of acne do you guys have. is it mainly on your chin area like mine and would accutane help that type of acne?? i have always wanted to go on accutane but i'm so scared .. thanks for any responses

Old 01-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

im sorry to dissapoint you, but accutane will only be a temporary solution or it is in the majority of cases, most people after 6-12months of clarity experience mild breakouts yet again progressing to more severe breakouts, so what i suggest you do when u come off accutane is follow a strict but good diet, thusi eating foods that will help your skin, and not make you breakout .

Old 01-23-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

yea everybody thinks accutane is going to clear their acne for life.i thought that too many years ago.most derm sites even say accutane buys you time til your body can adjust to its hormones.and cherylin almost all acne is hormonal.it is caused by male sex hormone....testosterone.i would go on spiro and have a good diet.eating healthy may not clear your acne but it cant hurt either.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #8

Cat_erpillar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilyn
just a question for you two. before considering the accutane, just curious if your doctor talked about spirnolactone for your acne. i'm female, 32 and deal with hormonal acne mainly on my chin. the spiro has helped alot but it's not a cure, it's a temporary fix and i'm sure once i go off it, my acne will return. my question is, what type of acne do you guys have. is it mainly on your chin area like mine and would accutane help that type of acne?? i have always wanted to go on accutane but i'm so scared .. thanks for any responses
The worst of my acne is on my back and chest, although I also get it a little on my face (chin and forehead) and neck. I know accutane may not give a definite cure, but as I have never been clear, the prospect of no acne for even 6-12 months is great and then I can change my diet etc to try and prolong it... Anyhow, I shouldn't be scared of going on Acutane if your acne makes you really miserable (like it does to me), because you'll probably only regret it if you don't try it. From what I've read, only rarely do people have bad side effects, and nearly everyone raves about it's efficiency. If it doesn't work for you, you can easily come of it. I think it's definitely worth a try! Take care!

Old 01-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

cherilyn>> I have taken Spironolactone and there is Spiro in my birth control pill. It helped for a while, but a very short time period.

vortex>> I am actually a very healthy eater and I work out regularly. My diet is mostly lean protein, fruits and vegetables. And, I do know of people who have been cleared for 3-5 years or even forever, once their hormones regulate. My hope is that my hormones will change for the better when I get pregnant or beyond, at the very least.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
(female)

j54 HB User

I am SO in your shoes!!!! I have exactly the same feelings as you at the moment OhMyFace. About to start accutane in 2 days and am so scared right now, considering I also go back to work as a teacher on the same day after 6 weeks off for summer holidays. Argh!
Cherilyn - My acne isn't that bad but is is mostly around my chin (nothing wrong with my forehead and only one or two spots on my cheeks) I'm not really sure if it is hormonal though, but I will let you know how it goes.
Please keep posting guys, I really need this support. I am worried mostly about the initial breakout because my skin isn't that bad at the moment, but I keep thinking about my sister's wedding in two months and don't want to be worrying about it then. I guess you have to look long term.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

j54>> Are you going to keep any sort of an online journal?

Good luck, by the way. My thoughts are with you.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #12
(female)

Almostpretty HB User

I just started accutane on January 7th, so I have been on it for almost three weeks. So far I have not experienced more breakout than normal. I have been getting mild headaches and I know they are from the accutane because I never get headaches. But I have found the more water I drink the milder they are. I guess that means they are caused by dehydration.

But one side affect that has been great is that I don't get shiny during the day. I used to have to apply powder 30 + x's during the day and I would still be greasy. This has helped so much. I do get chapped lips but I stopped wearing lipstick and just use chapstick and they are fine now.

Will let you know how things go!

Old 01-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
(female)

j54 HB User

Hey glad you posted that AlmostPretty! I have just got a headache, which I am attributing to the accutane, but I am a teacher and trying to teach with a headache is horrible! I will go and fill up my water bottle now! Keep in touch.

Hey, I also just clicked that accutane might be the reason my legs feel kind of achey when I walk, has anyone had this? And what could I do to relieve it?

One more thing, I also heard that taking Vitamin E supplements is good if you wear contacts, is that true? I want to keep wearing contacts but think I might get too dry.

Last edited by j54; 01-27-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Are either of you on the pill right now and if so, which one? I am concerned that the Yasmin that I am on, which makes my skin less oily, will just exascerbate the dryness from Accutane.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:17 AM   #15
(female)

j54 HB User

I am on what I think is the New Zealand equivalent, Estelle35, but have only been on it for a month. I think it is quite common to be using both at the same time - here you have to be on birth control while on accutane, and I would guess that it is a common one to prescribe to 'us' because others can cause acne. I'm sticking with it anyway! Will let you know if anything crazy happens :-)

Closed Thread