It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #1

Kitty215 HB User
Lever

I ran out of my Neutrogena face cleanser so I've been using my body soap: Lever 2000 moisture response.

My face has never felt better! My acne is better, it also probably helps that my dosage of amoxicillin was changed to twice a day instead of once a day and that I'm using benzoyl peroxide instead of clydamicin... but still! I never knew that regular body soap could work for my face!

Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: Lever

I don't like to put a dampner on things, but do you think that the body soap is working because your skin isn't used to it yet? Usually I find new products help pretty well for a little while and then stop working all together

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #3

rippey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty215
it also probably helps that my dosage of amoxicillin was changed to twice a day instead of once a day
Kitty, how has your experience been with amoxicillin? I was thinking of using it as an occasional boost to counteract holidays and vacations when I can't follow my diet, which keeps me basically clear when I am strict about it.

How long have you been on it? Good results? Initial breakout? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #4

CourtneyIAM HB User

Not to butt in, but I've been on Amoxicillan (500mg, twice a day) for about a month and a half now and my acne has SIGNIFICANTLY cleared up. This is the second time I've been on it, and while I'm not altogether thrilled with being on antibiotics long term, I am SO pleased with the results.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #5

Sahuja1 HB User

I used Amox for 3 years straight. It kept my face VERY clear. Every time I tried to stop it or reduce it though, it would come back. SO I had to keep using it and after 3 years I became immune. Now I use spiro and I only take like 100mg of spiro per week. I think I will be able to completely cut it eventually. But for 3 years, amox was awesome!

Old 01-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #6

rippey HB User

That's great info. Are there any side effects that you experienced? Is alchohol a no-no while on this drug?

Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #7

CourtneyIAM HB User

I haven't experienced any side effects at all, I've been fine. I'm not a drinker, so I'm not sure about the whole alcohol aspect...

Old 01-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #8

Kitty215 HB User

First off the lever... I was thinking that my skin might not be used to it, but a lot of other cleansers that I tried didn't work AT ALL from day one... so we'll see with this one. I'm not a big fan of using cleansers that contain salycilic acid or benzoyl peroxide b/c it drys out my skin really bad and doesn't work well enough to see a significant change.

The amoxicillin... I've been on it... wow... 3-4 years now?? I tried a few other medications before that, one being erithomiacin which helped me find out that I was allergic to that (very bad hives.... not a pretty site!). Amoxicillin has worked wonders for me! Here's some of the things I've learned about it: (BTW I take 250 mg twice a day)

1. It is a possibility that your body may get used to it. If you're on it for something like acne long term it's ruled out as an antibiotic for any sudden illness that you may get. But otherwise it's actually not considered bad for you to be on long term.

2. Like almost all medications mixing it with alcohol isn't advised, but it isn't like the strong pain killers, etc where it'll give you a lower tolerance or seriously injure organs if you have a few drinks while taking it. So basically, no there isn't any advisories out against drinking while taking amoxicillin so it's as safe as drinking any kind of alcohol is.

3. For the antibiotic to work to it's full potential a steady amount of it needs to be kept in your body through out the day/night. AKA instead of taking one dose of 500 mg in the morning take one dose of 250 mg in the morning and one more of 250 mg before bed. For 4ish months I tried taking 500 mg once a day (in the morning) b/c my doctor thought it would be easier but it lessened it's effectivness.

4. NO NO NO NO it does NOT interfere with birth control pills. There is no hard evidence that any kind of antibiotics cause probs with bcps (some antidepressant and diabetes medicine do interfere though, so check w/ your doc!). What most doctors are afraid of however is when an antibiotic is taken suddenly like for an illness or a dosage is upped. It's assumed that your body isn't used to the antibiotics where as the bcps are a "natural" part of your body so it may interfere. HOWEVER, if the amoxicillin is taken regularily then your body is used to it and won't change in it's presence making it safe to use bcps as contraception.

5. I do not believe that there was an initial breakout. It does take 2 or more weeks for your face to really start clearing up b/c the medicine has to get into your system BUT I do remember seeing results after a few days. Just less reddeness... the cysts weren't AS big... I didn't get the littler whitehead/blackheads... Amoxicillin helps acne by getting rid of all of the bacteria on your skin and actually any good/bad bacteria through out your whole body which is why yeast infections are a common side effect with it. I never got many until I started my birth control pills though and then a daily dose of acidophilus takes care of that!

It's really nice to know that other people are using amoxicillin for acne. The doctor I get the prescription from is the only one so far that has heard of it being used for acne or will prescribe it.

Last edited by Kitty215; 01-23-2004 at 11:42 PM.

Closed Thread