It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #1

cherilyn HB User
****to joeh******

Hi Joeh, I have seen alot of your comments on spiro and thought I would write to get some advice. I have been on spiro for a year and 3 months. I had to go off it for about a month due to some irregular blood readings (this was about 3 months ago) . I have since continued on the spiro because readings came back fine but at a lower does (50 mg). well the past 2 months, I have been getting the cysts back (always around my period and on my chin) and I'm scared now that the spiro isn't working anymore. So i have recently gone back up to 100mg to see if that will help. My questions is... how much do you take and do you think that 50 mg is not enough. Also, how long will you stay on it. Did your doctor have concerns with you taking it for long periods of time?? I'm just worried that my body has become immune to it. Any comments would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #2

saira2 HB User
Re: ****to joeh******

***bump***

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilyn
Hi Joeh, I have seen alot of your comments on spiro and thought I would write to get some advice. I have been on spiro for a year and 3 months. I had to go off it for about a month due to some irregular blood readings (this was about 3 months ago) . I have since continued on the spiro because readings came back fine but at a lower does (50 mg). well the past 2 months, I have been getting the cysts back (always around my period and on my chin) and I'm scared now that the spiro isn't working anymore. So i have recently gone back up to 100mg to see if that will help. My questions is... how much do you take and do you think that 50 mg is not enough. Also, how long will you stay on it. Did your doctor have concerns with you taking it for long periods of time?? I'm just worried that my body has become immune to it. Any comments would be appreciated
Hi,

First off I'm obviously not Joeh, however I may be able to help a little. As far as I know Joeh takes roughly 100mg a day of spiro, and another product called premarin if I'm not mistaken. As far as the question regarding the continued efficiacy of spiro, you need to remember that spiro works at two sites: it competes with androgens at the hair follicle (receptor site) and oil gland (receptor site) and it diminishes the production of male hormone at the adrenal gland. According to Sweetjade (I think she said something to this effect), theoretically spiro's effects could be diminished because your hormone receptor sites could shut down only to reopen elsewhere.

Last edited by Karl2; 01-26-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

hi cherilyn.......im staying on spiro for life if i have to.i havnt had one breakout since i have been on this.its been 16 months and my skin is actually getting drier.i started on the low carb diet also.i guess my body cant handle its own male hormones.i have heard that on this board where woman have stopped and started again and it stopped working.i combined it with 2.5mgs of premerin which is not the greatest form of estrogen in the world.....they get it from pregneat mare urin.i know a lot of people think this is kinda screwy but i wish i would have changed my sex before puberty because i wouldnt been producing testosterone which is the cause of my acne problems.if i known i would have up put up with 27 years of this bull-crap.anyways being a girl would have been kinda cool.....i just dont like guys.if you had trouble with your blood i doubt if any doctor will prescribe you premerin.try going on sweet jades diet along with the spiro.acne does cause social phobia and the longer you have to put up with it the chances are you might never recover from the psyciatrics aspects of it.i also had 2 thermages done.also for a girl there are a lot of other anti-androgens out there you might want to switch to.gotta go bye!

Closed Thread