It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #1

Steve of Norway HB User
What's Left? For Acne...

Let's see, I've tried the following

-The Acne Cure- Tried it for about 8 days. Considering the books and the recommended products, I think I paid $60-$70 if not more. After the 8th day, I tossed everything. My face was worse, my cheeks broke out with what can only be described as a colony of zits, all the way up to my eyes.

-Velocity- This was a Mary Kay product a co-worker at a previous job had me try. It worked for a bit, but soon enough, the red splotchy patches, flaky skin and pimples were back again.

-Proactiv- This actually worked for the first 2 & 1/2 months. I thought I had found something that worked. But of course, the redness and flakiness came back strong. As well as the zits.

-Lately I've been cycling between a no-scent, no chemical face wash (Clearasil) and one from Clean & Clear with something called Triclosan (sp?). For the most part, I have good days and bad days. The bad days are more numerous of course and after taking a picture of my face today, it looked even worse.

So these are all topical. I doubt there's anything out there that will work topically for me anymore. Are there any other options left? Smooth, clear skin cannot be some myth, I see people with it everyday...they can't all have perfect, zero defect skin by birth (or can they?).

I've looked up Accutane and just think some of the possible side-effects (the aging of skin actually being the worst) freak me out. Are there other internal products or medications out there? That work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #2

CourtneyIAM HB User
Re: What's Left? For Acne...

There are plenty of options left before is comes down to Accutane. Get thyself to a dermatologist and he has a whole roster he can run down. There's prescription topical creams/gels like Tazorac, Differin, etc. There's also pills like antibiotics that can help you. There are SO many options before Accutane and if you work with a dermo, you can find a combination that works for you.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:55 PM   #3

Kitty215 HB User

I used to feel JUST like you... I noticed that cleansers with benzoyl peroxide worked better than any of the other types. It is drying but it works. Use a toner after that (astringent). And a benzoyl peroxide cream/gel after that. Even though you have acne, an oil-free moisturizer is a must (Cetaphil works really good for that). If you don't replace moisture in your skin then it will make up for that and create more of the kind of oil you're trying to get rid of.

It sounds like you need to try some type of antibiotic/medicine to help your acne from the inside. Go to a doc/dermatologist. There are MANY MANY MANY types to try to find the one that works the best for you.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:31 PM   #4

Steve of Norway HB User

Now it gives me hope there is something that can help me, BUT, since I'm not sure of who to go to, should I go to my doctor first or get referral to a dermotologist? I'm sure my doctor can see the problems, but would he be as good as a derm? Just hoping I suppose.

Closed Thread