It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 PM   #1

poita81 HB User
I am going back to the basics...need advice please

Hi guys. I have had acne for 5 years now and i am nearly 21.
I am going back to a Benzoyl Peroxide regimin but this time i am really gonna stick to it and use something else with it too.
Ok Apparently you should use glycolic acid with BP but would salycilic acid work in the same way? both get rid of dead skin right?
and how should i use the toner or whatever? i mean i will put the BP on in the morning and night, but when do i do the salycilic or the glycolic? and which out of the two is better and why?
I really wanna give this a go so any advice would be really appreciated.
thanks very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:57 AM   #2

Kitty215 HB User
Re: I am going back to the basics...need advice please

Clean your skin with a good cleanser... swipe on a toner after you dry your face... rub in a THIN layer of benxoyl peroxide (5% seems to work the best for me)... and moisturize with an oil-free lotion (cetaphil is recommended).

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #3

lisam21 HB User

I'm 22 and have been in the same boat as you. Recently I started using some new products that were recommended to me by an aestetician I went to. I use a certain cleanser (brand Clear Choice), then a toner (brand Clear Choice), followed by a salicylic pad (Brand Clear Choice) and then I use BP lotion by Proactiv. I only use the salicylic pads and the BP at night and never in the morning as if I do my face gets painfully dry and red. Following the BP lotion I use Proactiv's oil-free face lotion (contains sunscreen as well). I absolutely love that stuff. The BP lotion and the oil-free lotion are the only things I use of Proactiv. The oil-free lotion is not cheap but for a while now it's been the only lotion I can and will use as it does not make me oily and does not cause more acne for me like other lotions do. Everything else is made by Clear Choice (I dont think you can find that in stores but I think you can on the web). The aestetician told me the Clear Choice line was developed by a lady who got so fed up with not being able to find products that work, especially for her acne. No chemicals found in the products etc. Lately I have been using the BP lotion every other day or so but using the salicylic pads every night. In the morning I use the Proactiv oil-free lotion under make-up as well. Once a week I use a pumpkin enzyme complez scrub (you leave on 10 min) made by Clear Choice as well. I also take 1 vitamin E capsule, 2 flax seed capsules (1000 mg each), a multivitamin, and drink a glass of Odwalla Superfood every night before bedtime. After a little over a month of doing those things, my once badly broken out forehead and chin have now cleared up and I have 1 pimple on my entire face. I have not had that in many many months. My face has only cleared up for about a week now so I'm just hoping I don't wake up with my face back to the way it was. Good luck.. I know how frustrating it is!
Lisa

Old 01-24-2004, 01:26 AM   #4

lisam21 HB User

Forgot to also mention that as of 2 weeks ago I added the Medicated Apricot scrub. I don't find this harsh for my skin although some people claim it is. I use it sometimes once a day (although most say you should not do that but it has almost worked best that way) and sometimes every other day. When I do use it, I use it only in the mornings before I put on make-up. I think this has helped a lot as well.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:00 AM   #5

poita81 HB User

Thanks very much guys and gals. appreciate it. Keep them coming if you like! all info is good info

Closed Thread