It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 09:32 AM   #1

tripple_l_2000 HB User
Proactiv

Hi, If any one has used Proactiv and would like to share their story with me .. I would appreciate it. Thanx... I'm thinking about using it... but I'm not sure. Support would be great. Any other Suggestions Welcomed!

Old 01-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

lovely.lady HB User
Re: Proactiv

I'm sure you'll hear tons of different stories from people on here. A lot of people on this board have used it, and it worked, and then it stopped working after a period of time for one reason or another. I've been using it for about 5 months and I still love it. I used to have skin that would break out constantly, and I would always have like 3-4 zits all the time. When one went away, another one popped up, and it was just irritating. I tried all sorts of products, even went to the dermatologist and used a prescribed facewash and antibiotic with no results. Sooo I finally tried Proactiv and it was pretty much the first thing to ever work for me. Granted, I still get breakouts but hardly ever and I now know what it's like to have totally clear skin! You should try it if you have light to moderate acne... just give it some time, and if you hate it you can get your money back. What have you to lose?

Last edited by lovely.lady; 01-24-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #3

blank HB User

used it for 2 months +

got rid of all the little stuff. all the little pimples, and bumps...etc.

didn't help cystic acne one bit. i almost think it made it worse.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

rly723 HB User

hey there,
i've used proactiv for about a year..its good for moderate acne and little pimples here and there, but it didn't completely clear me up..i have very moderate acne and it helped alittle, but it got expensive after awhile..i stopped using it and noticed my skin got actually better..On proactic my skin was always very dry..now i just use a gentle foaming cleanser and some clean and clear dual action moisturizer..i still have some little red marks on my upper cheeks once in a while. but my skin feels better since i've been off it..proactiv just got too expensive with the results i was getting..also i was wondering what are some good over the counter products that have worked for people..like what cleanser, moisturizer, or anything else they used to help clear up their moderate acne..anyways thanks

Old 01-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #5

tripple_l_2000 HB User
Smile Re: Proactiv

Yes, Please.... anyone with less expensive remedies please share... because I dont want to have to empty my pocketbook.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Proactiv really dried out my skin...I have bad responses to benzoyl peroxide, but lots of people use it and like it very much. To me, it's a bit expensive, considering you can get tons of products with benzoyl peroxide in them at the drug store, but I wouldn't be against it if you really need a program to stick with. It helped with small breakouts but not with cystic.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

xoctinaox HB User

I used used Proactiv for a year and a half. Except for last year i canceled 2 months of it because my skin actually looked good. BIG MISTAKE!!! I broke out so bad after not using proactiv. If it works for your skin and clears it up you have to keep using it to avoid more break outs. IT never actually cleared my skin 100% though... but hey it may work for you.

Old 01-24-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Inactive

SOG777 HB User

IMHO proactive is a bunch of crap.

1.) it works because it has benzoyal peroxide (you can buy it from your local store for $5)

2.) it only works for the moderate to light acne sufferes, it does nothing for cystic acne.

I used it for 1 year and it didn't do any better than OTC benzoyal peroxide from the stores except proactive costs 3 times as much.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #9

x SmiLez x HB User

I used Proactiv like 2 yrs ago, it worked really well in the beginning, but then it gradually stopped! I emailed them and they told me many people became immune to it, thus it stopped working for them. ARGH! Honestly, Proactiv is a bit pricey and doesn't even have anything special it in, bunch of BP & Glycolic Acid where you can even buy the drugstore's products that contained it already. Proactiv is made for people with moderate acne, and it wouldn't help much with cystic. Although I have moderate acne, it really didn't help much. Actually, I've never met anyone in real life whom have tried it and had successfully worked for them, all of friends have tried it, worked in the beginning and then just stopped. But hey everyone's skin is different, you might as well try it out, haven't we all already? lol.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #10

lisam21 HB User

I went and spent $100 on Practive several months ago. I got the kit that came with the cleanser, toner, BP lotion, mask, and oil-free lotion. Then I bought the oil absorbing pads and the acne spot treatment. I was desperate. I used it and it helped at first and then I just kept breaking out after about a month of using it. I started developing cystic acne on my forehead but I continued using the Proactiv. It ended up drying my face out horribly bad. It was red, flaky and painful. I also think it helped contribute to the cystic acne. Don't get me wrong, I was in love with Proactiv for a while and then it just seemed to stop working for me and seemed to make the problem worse. However, I changed my routine all around with other products (not Proactiv) but I still continue to use the left-over BP lotion every other day and it works fine for me when I'm not using the Proactiv step process. I also still continue to use the oil-free sunscreen lotion (no acne products in it, just an oil free lotion) and I absolutely love that stuff. I guess it just varies from person to person as everyone's skin reacts differently.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

Good product, just don't over do it. Personally, I only use the cleanser and it does a good job in keeping me clear as long as I don't scrub every night.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #12

vwcoffeebean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripple_l_2000
Hi, If any one has used Proactiv and would like to share their story with me .. I would appreciate it. Thanx... I'm thinking about using it... but I'm not sure. Support would be great. Any other Suggestions Welcomed!
I'm an adult, and I still get acne, as does my husband!! I used Proactiv , and my husband used it. It worked for me, but I have normal skin, and I'm lucky because most products work with me as long as I keep my face cleansed. My husband on the other hand broke out into an allergic reaction. He went to the dermatologist (who is not thrilled about this product), and was given a prescription that works wonderfully. With insurance, he pays 10.00 copay for the prescription. Proactiv was much more expensive than that.

I say try it, see if it works. If it does, great. If not, get your money back. BUT DONT FORGET THAT WHEN YOU ORDER PROACTIV, YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY ENROLLED IN A MONTHLY PROGRAM WHERE THEY SHIP IT TO YOU ONCE A MONTH NO MATTER WHAT. And when you try to cancel, they try to get one more month out of you.

Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 AM   #13

riverdancer HB User

You should try it but be prepared that it isn't a miracle product like they make it seem like on tv. My skin got better for about 3 months the first time I used it and then started getting worse after that. A year later I tried it again and it proactiv just made my acne a lot worse.

However, it works for some people, so don't be totally discouraged. I think you should try because it has worked for some people.

Just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work like I was.

Hope it works for you!!

Old 01-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #14

Ash16 HB User

i used Proactiv this past summer. It was GREAT! Cleared me up beautifullly. But then came september when the weather changed and i wasn't swimming and catching rays anymore. My skin broke out like mad! I even tried combining the Proactiv with some B5.... nothing worked. Then i switched to Clean & Clear Continuous Action Cleanser... worked awesome! Until about 2 weeks after starting it when my face became so dry that it burned constantly and was flaky. I have never had that problem before because i have VERY oily skin. I am now hooked on pHisoderm Clear Confidence. And then after washing i use Stridex Fruit Therapy to moisturize my face. This little system is working so much better then i hoped! And i only spend a lil over 7 bucks every other month for this! I hope this helped atleast somebody out there!
But i do say that if you believe it'll work for you... then go for it! You have nothing to really lose right?

Old 01-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #15

gfd HB User

I use proactive when I was 19 now I"m 23 it did not work for me and I thought It was expensive.

Closed Thread