It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #1

blank HB User
fast + apples...second round.

well...last week i didn't eat for two days...then i started eating apples and salads...and then i switched back to stuff full of protein. lots of meat...etc.

but i still got pimples.

so i'm trying it again.
i've only eaten apples since tuesday night. (it's now saturday midday)
i really hope it works this time.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User
Re: fast + apples...second round.

Good luck Do you think there's a chance you ate something that would have caused a problem when you started eating again? For instance, did you use dressings on your salads, or sauces with your meats? Without these things such food can be bland, but the tiniest bit of sugar can trip you up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

And, by the way, it does take time to see major differences through dietary changes. Bear in mind that outbreaks form days before they appear at the surface of your skin, so the new ones may have been caused by foods you ate before starting your fast.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #4

blank HB User

didn't eat any dressing on salads.

i ate lots of soup (beaf + veggies, chicken mixes...etc), that may have made me go wrong?

and all the meats have sauces (it's dorm food, i can't really squeeze the meat of all the juices/sauce)

i also ate a good deal of pasta...
i don't really see the problem in that though? it's "refined" but it doesn't have a crapload of sugars or fats or "toxins" in it.

i can't survive on salad and fruit. i'm 6'5", and between these two fasts, i've probably lost between 5 and 10 pounds. bringing me down to 165 lbs or so.

pisses me off so much.

i can't work out. cause that causes my glands and stuff to produce more oils.

i can't eat meat, cause they have sauces on them that have "toxins" in them.

i can't eat pasta because it's a refined grain. just like cereal, or any bread.

no dairy products.
that takes out pizza, and tacos, and pretty much half of what's available.

no soda...too much sugar. that goes for all candy bars too.

i hate fish...the smell of it makes me gag. and they put sauces on that too.

that leaves me with salad (no dressing) and fruit, and the endless amounts of drugs and vitamin supplements that i'm using.

and i'm supposed to survive?

Old 01-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I understand mate. But if you kick *all* the bad stuff for even just a week you will see what a hell of a difference it makes and food won't matter so much. I appreciate that living in a dorm must pose problems. Meat per se is ok but any extra sauces (not actual meat juices) should be avoided because of the dairy, sugar and additives. Soup should also be avoided since most soups are full of additives and sugar to compensate for the lack of fresh flavouring.

Pasta is a no-no because it really is full of sugar. Remember, sugar and carbohydrate are synonymous. Once you eat that pasta it causes a surge of insulin production in your body which sends the hormones crazy. If you're going to eat pasta make sure you reduce the effects by eating protein beforehand and during. It's tough, but if you get clearer you will feel so rewarded for your efforts

Old 01-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #6
Inactive

prometheus HB User

you simply cannot do this on dorm food. Wait until you have real food available to you, or get real food.

Old 01-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Besides, they try to con you into thinking you are getting a good deal by purchasing the dorm food packages. You aren't. (They are.)

And if they try to make it a requirement, because you have to live in the dorms your first year or any of that b.s just object. You have nutritional requirements that their meals can in no way fulfill. They will comply.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-24-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #8

euro18 HB User

I know what you mean blank!! It's frustating that these diets make you lose a lot of weight. I am already a thin guy - if I fasted for a couple of days on apples I would look like a skeleton!!! In some ways, I wish I could be overweight so that I could afford to lose 50lbs. I don't agree with jhart that any little "mishap" could trip you up. IF you sitck to a diet 90% , your body will do the rest. AT least that's what I have been told and it makes sense. Acne has taken over my life and I resent it so much.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

All I'm saying euro is that it only takes one gram of sugar to cause an insulin spike and the rest depends on luck. blank can eat nothing but apples for a week if he likes but he'll spoil his efforts if he breaks that progress with pasta or some other source of carbohydrate, no matter how much. I'm only saying this 'cause it upset me to hear that blank felt like he was getting nowhere despite making drastic dietary modifications. I'd rather be blunt and honest than hear about blank spend another four days eating nothing but apples and then spoil it all. And, for what it's worth blank, I admire you and I wish you all the luck in the world. Just don't be afraid to add variation as long as it doesn't involve sugar.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #10

Forcefed4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart999
Pasta is a no-no because it really is full of sugar
All this false dietary information is really starting to get out of control. Come on people, you are not nutrionist experts, and your posts reflect that.

Blank, it's almost impossible to go on a no-carb diet as proposed. It's NOT NECESSARY. I do think trying to stay from carbs that are high on the glycemic index is a good idea, not just because of your skin, but for overall health. They can cause diabetese, and other problems.

Seriously, blank, if you want to learn about nutrition, pick up a book. BUT, diet is not the only contributor to acne, and is definitely not the MAIN factor. You are in college, which means you are probably in your late teens. If that's the case, your hormones are at their peak, and starving yourself WON'T change that. If anything, you are neglecting the variety and amount of food your body needs to get the nutrition you need.

Please, don't listen to all the people who say that even 1 gram of sugar in a food item will set you back. You will beat yourself up over this, and you will STILL have the acne.

I started to believe that my acne was because of my diet, even though I never had an acne problem up to the age of 27. For 18 months I cut out dairy, meats, sugars, you name it. All the supposed "bad" foods you will see a few people mention on this board I eliminated. I even kept a daily journal to document everything I ate.

Know what happened over those 18 months? I lost about 50 lbs, and my family thought something was seriously wrong with me. My overall health became much worse, and I STILL had acne.

The last 5 months, I went back to eating what I want, when I want. I still eat fruits and vegetables, but I also allow myself enjoyment foods. I eat ice cream again (oh how I missed it), and hamburgers, and steaks, you get my point. I have managed to put on a healthy 20 pounds with weight lifting, and I feel great!

And my acne is basically NON-existant now. So please, don't torture yourself thinking it's your fault you have acne because of what you eat. Read up on healthy nutrition, and change your diet for overall health. Complete elimination diets, and trying to go days on just apples alone, will not help.

I wish you the best of luck.

Kev

Old 01-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #11

blank HB User

thanks for all the responses.

i'm at a loss for what to do though.
it's not like i can go to the grocery store and buy a whole bunch of healthy stuff, and cook for myself three times a day in my dorm room. i have to make do with what there is in the dorm food. and if pasta's out, and the sauce they put on the meat is out, then 9 days out of 10, i'll be eating a salad, with a pear on the side.

forcefed....
if diet isn't the answer, then what is? obviously eating a well-rounded diet, not eating junk food. but that's what i've been doing for at least 2 months now. eating as healthily as i can for what's offered, at least.

i've been on minocycline and tretinoin for a month. and now i'm trying to ween myself off mino, because i hear that if i cut it out quickly, i'll be worse off than i was before. (glands will produce excess oil)

i really doubt that any derm i see is going to perscribe me accutane because my acne isn't disgustingly awful, it's just for me...pretty much unbearable.

i've tried proactiv, and all the silly grocery store products. they all suck.
i'm taking 3g's of b5 a week now (i was taking 10g's, but felt it was ineffective, because i was pretty much peeing it all out). i think it's been 2 weeks with that.

but still, at any given time...there's 2-3 cysts, or pimples, or cystic scabs on my face.

once every few months i'll have a day or two without acne. i have no idea why. it'll just clear up, and my skin will look great (except for a little scarring). i live for those days. it just feels so unbelievably great to walk around with my head up, without a hat on, be confident talking to friends, meeting people, talking to girls, without worrying about all those *********** red marks and scabs on my face.

i just cannot wait until everyday is like that.

and i'll do almost anything to get to those days.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:53 AM   #12
Inactive

prometheus HB User

you simply can't do it on dorm food, unless you can. You can always try. Diet is the answer, but it seems to be about long term nutrition and not just eliminating food groups. I can see how you may get some benefits eliminating food groups at the dorm, but what are you going to do, eat salads for the rest of your stay? no..that is not healthy either. Salads are the nutritional equivalent of water...well, perhaps not quite, but with dorm salads one is probably better off eating nothing. I exaggerate. If you actually can't get real food, and you really have no other options (I think you might), then medicine is your best bet, not a salad diet.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-25-2004 at 05:55 AM.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #13

Forcefed4 HB User

Quote:
if diet isn't the answer, then what is? obviously eating a well-rounded diet, not eating junk food. but that's what i've been doing for at least 2 months now. eating as healthily as i can for what's offered, at least.
Trust me blank, I felt just like you did. Every day when I woke up with new pimples, I kept thinking to myself ,"It MUST have been something I ate!" Like I said, I kept a log religiously for 18 months, and STILL do (mainly because it's habit now). But, for me, it wasn't really diet at all, it was me overdoing it to my skin. I was washing my face too much, and trying too many products that in the long wrong were just preventing my skin from healing itself!

It's so tough to try and force yourself to do LESS with products, because we are hammered into believing that there must be a product that will magically cure acne. That's just not true. Remember, there really is no CURE, only preventative medicines.

If you are on mino now, maybe you should stick to that. A month isn't long enough for an antibiotic to really kick in. I assume you got this from a dermatologist? Minocycline is an antibiotic, which means it helps kill the p.acne bacteria. Antibiotics are also usually anti-inflammatories. Mino does NOT cause less oil production whatsoever. Everyone is different, but antibiotics never really helped me (tried doxycycline and tetracycline). But, remember, I basically discovered my acne was being worsened by the overuse of external products!

My routine now is so simple that it amazes me. I used lots of Aveeno products, because everything else dries out my skin. I wash my body with Aveeno body wash, I use Aveeno shaving gel, and Aveeno moisturizer. My skin looks and feels incredible. It no longer burns or looks red, and because I leave my skin alone, it heals itself so much better.

Kev

Old 01-25-2004, 07:16 AM   #14

euro18 HB User

I think altering your diet just gives some degree of control. You FEEL like you are doing something positive with your acne: if you eat very healthily there is no way your skin can break out (at least that's the THEORY anyways) Many say this is fundamentally flawed. I know with me, I am eating healthily at the moment, and still my skin looks crap. It's disheartening, depressing and very irritating.

so, blank my advice would be much along the same lines as prometheus'. Wait to change your diet properly once out of dorms. If you are majorly stressing about what to eat then your acne will get worse. Maybe try and avoid excess sugar and wheat. But that's it. After 3 or 4 months , if the antibiotic is not working, then consider altering your diet.

Jhart: I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that I've been told that even if you are sensitive to sugar for example, and you eliminate it 99%, but then have one chocolate bar, it doesn't matter. I don't know who's right , but the latter makes sense to me.

Old 01-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Fair enough euro - no offence taken. From my personal experience I can't afford to eat even one square of chocolate because I will break out in the next few days. But therein lies the underlying problem with acne - no two people's conditions are identical. Perhaps when I'm totally clear I'll be able to eat things like chocolate again, in moderation, because my liver won't still be coping with a backlog of work. So, I apologise euro because I don't have the answers and I don't understand the biology involved. As I said, though, I just didn't want blank to waste his efforts.

Closed Thread