It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003, 05:51 PM   #1

CrazyJoe HB User
Post Accutane, Marijuana, and Alcohol

I was wondering what effect, if any does Marijuana and alcohol have on accutane and my body.

I smoke marijuana and I dunno if I should quit for the period of my treatment or not.

Same with alcohol, I know that the liver is being worked on accutane so all toxins should be avoided. I am really gonna try to quit drinking for this treatment to be safe.

Is it neccessary to quit both to avoid harmful effects?

can I use them in moderation?

I really don't wanna cause more problems down the road. thx.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Red face

I'm not sure about how the 3 interact, but I do know that marijuana use and alcohol consumption can actually contribute to more acne. Is it really worth it? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif If I were you, I'd just quit and see how the Accutane goes by itself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran

Testament HB User
I agree with Tim, why take the risk? Accutane is beating up your liver already... no point in beating it up more with drugs. Drink lots of water as well!

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2003, 03:34 AM   #4

CrazyJoe HB User
That would be the common sense thing to do, and I will try and do it.

Stopping Drugs and alcohol will be hard, but overall health is more important.

My friends gimme a wierd look if it say no I don't want a beer, or any marijuana. I don't really feel like telling everyone I am on Accutane.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #5

Mr. Right HB User
Accutane is known to cause depression. Pot is a depressant drug. Two depressants are not good. They make you more depressed. Believe me.

If you still choose to do drugs and alcohol, do it with moderation.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #6

monodynamic HB User
I've said no to alchohol with my friends, told them why, and they were cool with it.

Don't be ashamed.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:45 AM   #7

MiamiBarbie HB User
What is more important to you? Getting high or stay with acne for the rest of your life? Both alcohol and marihuana are damaging to your liver and I have actually heard that liver problems may cause breakouts and acne. If your liver does not function properly and you have too many toxins in your body, you might break out. (Does not necessarily need to be associated with dope or alcohol). My mother lawyer, age 48 all of a sudden got terrible breakouts on his face. He went to check with his doctor and they said, he had liver problems!!! Please, be careful with these things...plus marihunana? Isn't that kind of immature? I never liked the smell of it and when someone who had just had some walks by me....well, I smell urine.
Good luck to you quitting. I don't know how old you are, but try to do better in school instead...and focus on success rather than drugs.

Old 03-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyJoe:
My friends gimme a wierd look if it say no I don't want a beer, or any marijuana. I don't really feel like telling everyone I am on Accutane.
Never mind their weird looks. They'll get over it. And, you don't have to tell them you're on Accutane. You can say you're trying to cut down for another reason (losing weight, focusing on school, regaining memory, throat problems, etc). You're doing the right thing! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2003, 12:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
This is my opinion which is going to be very unfavorable but I think it would be OK to take 1 hit and then pass down any future hits saying something like I can't I'm on medication for my heart and don't wanna risk messin it up.As for as drinking ,go ahead and take the beer but only sip on it now and then and try to make the one beer last throughout the entire duration of the party,visit or whatever.You can even fake a few sips.This way you can avoid that uncomfortable feeling that you get when everybody else is doin it and your not.I know your friends should except you reguardless of whether your doing it or not but if you MUST socialize with them and are afraid of feeling uncomfortable you can just do the 1 hit,and few sips thing.I honestly don't think that little bit would hurt.

[This message has been edited by dsheldon3 (edited 03-16-2003).]

Old 03-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran

laur HB User
Personally, I wouldn't even think this would be a hard decision for me. If you went on accutane, then you must feel you have tried everything else and this is the last straw so to speak. I don't drink or smoke anything and never have. I am on accutane and have , so far, not had any problems with bloodwork etc.
I wouldn't risk the accutane treatment just to have a few beers or get high. Since I have never done either, I don't really understand about the peer pressure. I just always did my own things I guess and never cared what "they thought" because I always had my TRUE friends. I'm sure you do too. But my opinion is if your "friends" give ou wierd looks when you say no.......you need to be in a different crowd and they need to grow up. I'm 38 so I passed all of this a LONG time ago, but I never gave in to any of the pressures and have always managed to have a good time without the "junk"......
and by the way, you also don't "owe" them an explanation of why. I'm not sure how old you are, but you seem to be looking for an answer that you have already figured out on your own. If they can't accept you for yourself, then you're too good for them.
Think of yourself first.....I can guarantee the only "real friends" are the ones who put "YOU" first.

L

Old 03-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #11

established420 HB User
i think i'm gonna go on accutane my next derm. appointment- i've been deciding if i should or not for a couple months now. and one big factor has been stopping drinking and smoking, and for those people that say it is an easy decision, it really isn't. maybe you haven't ever been addicted to something, but it really is hard to just stop like that. i do want my skin to look its best, fo sho, but i also like to chill with my friends and pound some brews and smoke some bowls, it is just what i do to hang out. so if i take both drinking and smoking out of my world, not to say i can't do it, it is just going to be a lot more boring i think.........plus, it is true real friends will stay by you no matter what- or if you drink/shmo with them or not, but in all reality-they may still be your friends, but it will be more of a strain to hang out because i wont be enjoying the same things as them, i'll be sober while they are all ****ed up- and that isn't very fun either. it may sounds stupid to some for wanting to smoke and drink to hang out with these friends, but truthfully, that is what we as a group of friends do- not to say we don't to other activities of course- just saying, if i can force myself to stop while taking accutane- i'll probably loose touch with some friends just based on the fact that we dont do those common things anymore- so i'll be real lonely.......who knows what i'm gonna do! i know it's illegal and all and bad for the body, so please dont post how i should not even do it in the first place because i know all of that already, thanks.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #12

CrazyJoe HB User
I am pretty sure that if I tell my friends I am on Accutane that they will understand, they know I have a acne problem, they can see it all the time, they know how long I have struggled with it cause ever since I met my friends in High School I had acne. The thing is all of my friends I MEAN ALL have near perfect skin. Its amazing how me, out of like a graduating class of about 150 students 4 years ago in High School I was the only one with acne. They do not know what it is like. I justdon't feel comfortable telling them that I am taking Accutane to achieve clear skin, I dunno why but I just cant.

I will strive to quit drinking, I quit smoking about a year and a half ago.

To be honest quitting smoking and quiting drinking(Done it before) are actually easy for me I think I can stop using alcohol for the treatment, but quitting marijuana is soooo hard for me. I can't seem to do it. you would think stopping cigarettes is harder than pot, well its not. for me anyway.

Do you guys think I should see a drug support centre for Marijuana use? I cant stop it, by myself.

Old 03-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #13

Mr. Right HB User
Quote:
one big factor has been stopping drinking and smoking, and for those people that say it is an easy decision, it really isn't. maybe you haven't ever been addicted to something, but it really is hard to just stop like that.
I hear you. Before going on accutane (last year) I had been avidly smoking pot for 3 years, everyday, 3-5 times daily. To just up and quit was quite hard, in fact it took several times for me to say that I was going to quit to actually quit.

I smoked 5 months into my accutane treatment. I was udderly depressed for those 5 months and didn't even think it was the pot that was causing the depression. Once I quit smoking pot it was like night and day. The signs of depression seemed to have gone away, just like that. If you chose to smoke pot while on accutane, just remember -- moderation. Needless to say, I started smoking again after my treatment was over, back to smoking 3-5 times daily. My memory began to get shot, as well as my thinking, so I decided to quit again, this time for good. (More than likely)

Drinking was another issue. At the time of the accutane use I was in college, going to parties regularly and drinking a good amount. I tried to keep the drinking to a minimum, only drinking on the weekends. Even then i could feel the alcohol affecting my body far worse than it did when I wasn't on accutane. Being drunk and taking accutane sucks. The headaches are worse, hangovers galores, dehydration, etc. Perhaps the only good thing about drinking while on accutane was the fact that I got drunk after drinking just 2 beers, saved me some money!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!Moderation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #14

established420 HB User
definatley- i've tried a couple of times this past week to just quit smoking weed, i actually haven't drank in a couple of weeks now- but i also don't get to go party with my friends as much, so that is really getting me down........i think i need some sort of program to help me quit smoking too, i finally just got rid of all of my weed because that was too tempting, and i had to lock my pieces up, but i still get bored and want to light up!!! it will be so hard, but having clear skin will make it worth it- i hope.........

Old 03-16-2003, 06:26 PM   #15

19W/Acnee HB User
So is the only problem with smoking marijuana and taking accutane at the same time is that they are both "depressants?" Or is there some other factors involved

Closed Thread