It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

Schecky HB User
Question Purpose vs. Cetaphil Face Wash + Moisturizer

I am debating between the two. Which is better. I have itchy sensitive skin but sometimes tend to break out and I have lots and lots of blackheads on my Tzone.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Purpose vs. Cetaphil Face Wash + Moisturizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecky
I am debating between the two. Which is better. I have itchy sensitive skin but sometimes tend to break out and I have lots and lots of blackheads on my Tzone.

Thanks!!!
Hey Schecky, I'm glad you posted this topic because I was just about to post one exactly like it but directed more towards my lamentation of Cetaphil.

I began using Cetaphil cleanser when I decided I was gonna go on a back-to-basics regime i.e. plain cleanser + B.P. I started using it once in the morning and once in the evening washing with water and that was it. In the evening after using the cleanser I would put on some benzoyl peroxide (2.5%-5%). But after doing this regime for about 2-3 days I noticed my skin becoming very scaley which was quite worrying. I thought damn it must be the B.P. but I used to use 10% B.P. sparingly with the side effect of redness. I also had a few problems with 5% but they were minimal while 2.5% had no reaction.

Anyway I tested to see if it was infact the BP and removed it from my regime continuing with the Cetaphil cleanser. I also tried moisturising my skin using aqueous cream but still experienced scaley skin. So I eventually decided to dump Cetaphil and the result...well my skin went back to normal and is nicely self-moisturised and not dry.

This is only MY experience so if I were you just wait for other people's responses regarding these two products (Cetaphil vs. Purpose). But IMO, Cetaphil is a big THUMBS DOWN!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
(male)

JD885 HB User

well, i got samples of both from teh derm and thought purpose was gentler, but cetaphil did a better job of mousterizing. So i bought the cetaphil mousterizer.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #4

honeybearkitty HB User

My skin also got excessively dry from Cetaphil for Oily Skin too. The Cetaphil is also non-lathering, which I don't like, because it doesn't seem to clean as well as a lathering cleanser. I *love* the Purpose cleanser, myself.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearkitty
The Cetaphil is also non-lathering

I totally agree and forgot to add this in my original post. Cetaphil is VERY greasy and you need to use alot if you want to cover your entire face. When you use it you don't feel it is actually 'cleaning' your skin because as honeybear says it is 'non-lathering'.

But I think you should test both out because my overall opinion from reading loads of post over this is that everyone reacts differently to each product. Some may favour Cetaphil while others may prefer Purpose.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Just because it doesn't lather, does not mean it isn't working. I use what I think is the best cleanser out there and it does not lather. It is Philosophy's cleanser. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 AM   #7
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32
Philosophy's cleanser
I've never heard of this cleanser before, what are the ingredients in it? Where did you get it from and does it dry your skin at all? Thanks

Old 01-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
I've never heard of this cleanser before, what are the ingredients in it? Where did you get it from and does it dry your skin at all? Thanks
Philosophy is sold at Nordstroms and QVC. Or do a search for Philosophy and QVC. I believe at QVC it will list the ingredients. No, it does not dry out my skin at all. In fact it is very moisterizing. My face is extremely dry and I live in a dry climate. It melts makeup and mascara very well with no pulling or tugging. And my face has cleared up since using it. I also love their other products as well.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

I personally love the Dove bars (unscented, sensitive skin formula). For some reason, i had something against bar soaps for the longest time. But the two cleansers that have worked best for me eventually turned out to be bars! Neutrogena translucent acne bar with salycilic acid and Dove. Dove works best for dry, sensitive skin, which i have. It helped clear me up too, since i wasn't stripping my skin of all the oils. Recently i started using jojoba oil as a moisturizer, and its the best. So Dove and jojoba oil are what i recommend.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

I have tried so many different face washes and I LOVE St. Ives sensitive skin scrub. I know it's a scrub and that's supposedly bad but my skin looks amazing when i use it twice daily! I am totally clear with the occasional quick healing pimple. I used to use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and although it didn't make things much worse, it definitely didn't help. My boyfriend used to have some skin problems a few years ago and ever since he began using Purpose his skin looks awesome. He swears by it and would never use my Cetaphil when he stayed over!

The Following User Says Thank You to latayy26 For This Useful Post:
stegggyx3 (11-15-2011)
Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 AM   #11
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealmeal
Recently i started using jojoba oil as a moisturizer, and its the best. So Dove and jojoba oil are what i recommend.
It seems like this Jojoba oil is one of the very few products on this board that has everyone singing its praise. Is it really that? Can guys use it? And are the ingredients acne-friendly? I have read very few posts that discredit Jojoba oil, virtually all the posts here seem to suggest it is one of the most effective products around. Is it sold under the title "Jojoba oil"?

I might give it a try, thanks.

Closed Thread