It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #1

poita81 HB User
Angry ahhhhh, please tell me how long it lasts!

Hi guys, just started a back to basics regime
I am using cetaphil and BP 5%
but my skin is reacting to the BP i think. It is now getting lots of little whiteheads and stuff.
How long does this last before the BP sorts my skin out?
any advice? i want it to get better already its been a couple of days.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #2

poita81 HB User
Re: ahhhhh, please tell me how long it lasts!

oh yeah, and can you expect lasting results from BP? i mean i hear that technically it is immpossible for the acne to become immune to it, so why would it stop working? and it it really critical to use a moisturiser? they almost always break me out? and will my skin get gradually more and more oily if i continue to use BP, as it trys to couter the dryness?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #3

lisam21 HB User

When I was using Proactiv and using the BP lotion everyday, my face dried out horribly bad. It was red, flaky, and even painful. As a result of the over-drying effects I think my skin was trying to over-compensate by trying to produce more oil. Ultimately I think that is what caused the Proactiv to stop working for me as I ended up with more break outs and more oily skin. By the time I decided to go to an aestetician she could not believe how dry and yet how oily my face was, if that makes sense. Try using the BP every other night, or once a day. I started using products the aestetician recommended for me that she has in her office. It took a month of using these but my face has cleared up as of a week ago with just one pimple. If you are interested the website is dermastart.com
The products I use and LOVE LOVE LOVE are:
Clear Choice Gentle Foaming Cleanser
Clear Choice Balance - toner (lasted me a long time)
Clear Choice ClearBalance for oily and problematic skin types (2% salicylic pads but much better for your skin than Oxy etc as I have compared ingredients)
Clear Choice Pumpkin Enzyme Complex - exfoliation treatment
Proactiv oil-free lotion

I use the Cleanser morning and night, the toner only at night but can be used in morning (just found it gave me a shiny look), 1 ClearBalance pad only at night followed by Proactiv's BP lotion every other night. I use the Clear Choice Pumpkin Enzyme Complex once a week and leave on for 15 min or so. As far as lotions go, if you are using BP you are going to want to use a moisturizer to counteract the dryness. From what I've found, you still need to keep the skin hydrated as the overly drying effects of BP can make your skin look temporarily aged (and I'm 22). I had the same problem as you with moisturizers causing more breakouts and it even made my skin more oily. That was before I found Proactiv's oil-free lotion. It doesn't make me oily and does not cause me breakouts. It's the only thing from Proactiv that I still use religiously from their line of products. However the cost of it is unreal but I can't be without it. I use it over the BP lotion at night (it says you can put it over it) and I use it under my make-up in the morning (before this I refused to wear any kind of moisturizer under my makeup). It's been a savior for my face. Also, if you go to the store and pick up the Medicated Apricot Scrub (it's cheap) and use it every other day (maybe in the morning before make-up) you may see a difference as well (it contains salicylic acid as well). I know it has helped me but everyone is different. Wow, I wrote a book. It's getting to be around that time of month and I am praying I don't see a breakout as this is the first time in SO long that I have had a clear face. In fact I forgot what my face used to look like before the acne. Good luck to you!!!!

Old 01-25-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

these are all temporary solutions, that's all topicals are, the only hope of staying acne free whilst using topicals is to use them alot(spend tons and tons of money), for when u stop using them and ur finances are going down the pot and u can no longer afford more and more, ur acne would return, unless u use these for a few years and your a teenager and you grow out of it whilst using topicals, the only real way to cure acne is through B5/Accutane (Both Temporary solutions only, but cheaper than topicals) these do a much better job, or through diet(very flexable, relatively cheap), think of it as using BP but being completely clear, at a cheaper price and without dryness and redness(side effects)

Old 01-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #5

lisam21 HB User

I would have to disagree that they are all temporary solutions. Maybe for some people but not all. I have had great success with what I have been doing and I'm not a teenager. I even ran out of the mild cleanser (not for acne just a better cleanser for acne-prone people) and the pads and am awaiting another shipment of the products and my face is still clear. I honestly believe that what I have done is more than a temporary solution. Normally if I would have stopped a product, acne would appear like crazy. I have stopped some products because I ran out (until I can get some more) and have lessened the use of the BP lotion to once every 4 days or longer and my face is still clear. Something went right somewhere and I don't believe it was a temporary solution, rather it took 2 months for it to completely straighten my face out.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 PM   #6

Ash16 HB User

I also have to disagree. My face has stayed clear with my daily regimine longer then it ever has b4! O, and B5 does NOT work for every1... i tried to use it for atleast 8 months and my face looked the same as it did b4 i started...if not worse. Not to forget the fatigue i had... And just so every1 here knows... it's pointless to take a daily muti-vitamin unless it's in a softgel form because they never really dissolve. I watched an autopsy on tv and they found a disguisting amount of partially dissolved vitamins. There is also alot of clinical proof of this too. I mean, think about it... vitamins come in a very hard form... so yea. But neway... let me get to the point i am trying to make. I read in another post that some1 said that you need to take a B complex vitamin and other vitamins because your body will become deficient. This is true... but i do not bother taking vitamins when i know they are not going to fully dissolve. They don't even dissolve half-way! And when you think you are feeling better when you start taking vitamins daily... that's just in your mind. You start convincing yourself sub-consciencly that what you ar edoing is working...when it's not.
I just thought i would share some knowledge with ya'll...

Closed Thread