It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

JD885 HB User
Exercise/Lifting and Acne

I read on someones website , Almars ?, i think that lifting weights is bad for acne because it increases hormones. How much of an effect does this have? I've also read most acne sufferers have normal hormone levels anyway. So what gives?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: Exercise/Lifting and Acne

I have also been wanting to know this. I have heard on these boards that it increases oil because of the rebuilding of the muscles. I do notice that my face is really oily. Dunno if its that or my faces revenge for using proactive for so long. I am starting to take vitamin b5 tomorrow to decrease the oil. Either way im going to keep lifting.

What kind of acne do you get? cystic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

I posted a couple of weeks ago a thread called 'The Gym and Acne', so you might want to look there as well for further info.

Remember that androgens are male hormones that women have too. They have an anabolic action, helping the body build strong bones and muscles. DHEA and testosterone are both androgens and they both respond to exercise. Funny though cos he response can vary depending on gender and the type and duration of the exercise.

Testosterone levels increase in men during most forms of exercise. Weight lifting has been shown to increase a manís testosterone level by as much as forty percent. Squats, bench presses and back rows increase testosterone more than biceps and triceps workouts. In men, it seems the more difficult the exercise, e.g. the heavier the weight, the greater the increase in testosterone. Oddly enough, with extreme exercise, such as endurance training, testosterone can DROP, by as much as fifteen to forty percent. So my advice is to avoid weights and stick to other forms of exercise.

Further, I know from tried and tested experience that weight lifting increases acne, or should I say causes acne. I never get body acne when I don't do weights, but I ALWAYS get it when I do weights. This extra 40% of androgen production just puts too much of a load on my seb glands. My body can cope with its androgen production as normal, but can't deal with an almost a HALF EXTRA production.

Although I must say that with a decent amount of sun on me, this will cure any acne that the gym would otherwise create. But as soon as the sun goes my face and body look far worse and I don't believe the sun is good for you in the long run.

So my advice is stay away from weights, cos let's call a spade a spade. It is nothing other than pumping your body with acne causing androgens. The only ppl who can avoid the acne causing effects of weights are:

(a) clear people whose sebum levels are well under control, and who can cope with an extra 40% of androgens. This is particularly true with ppl who have aa natural under production of testosterone.

(b) people who have acne which is NOT because of too much sebum production. Remember that people with dry skin can get acne too, and that there are other causes of acne besides too much sebum production, such as lack of exfolitation, no clearing of the bacteria etc.

Weights can also screw up your cortisol levels which is another health problem but I won't go into this cos you're probably not interested cos it's most likely a non-acne problem.

AA

Last edited by AccutaneAvenger; 01-26-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I'm not exactly a body builder but I do lift weights every day as well as running, rowing, cycling, swimming and floor exercises. I've never seen a link between this and my acne since it was just as bad before I started getting fit. What I can say is that dietary changes have not only prevented further breakouts but have helped me lose some excess weight I was carrying. So I think exercise in general is fine as long as you're eating sensibly.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #5

rippey HB User

Chalk me up as another one who has never seen a negative effect on acne from lifting weights or exercising. However, I have noticed that the friction caused by weight benches on your body will cause a localized breakout. For example, if I do calf raises I will occasionally get a few extra pimples on the tops of my shoulders where the calf raise machine presses on my body. Maybe that's the correlation that you see Accutane Avenger?

Closed Thread