It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 08:09 AM   #1

nadnad HB User
Unhappy Acne controlling my life (help!)

Hey all,

I don't know about you but, acne is controlling my life. I seem to be using all the excuses in the book to get out of being in the public. Not going to work, not going out, avoiding people, etc. The hardest part is that people tell me that I don't have acne but, whenever I look at myself, all I see is the acne. I think people just say that to try and make me feel better, I think I have a disease. And its not just the acne, it's the dry flakey skin, the oily skin, the redness, the scarring, the ingrown hairs, etc. I am so obsessed with the way I look, or lack thereof. Just when it seems my face clears up to being tolerable, the next day I break out all over again. Why could this be? I finally graduated from university in December (you don't want to know how many classes, assignments, and exams I missed because of my acne), and I have no will to look for a career job. Is it because I am lazy, or is it because I am affraid to face the public? I just don't know. I lost my girlfriend because I constently made excuses not to see her. She dumped me because she thought I was cheating on her. I haven't been happy for along time, and I am afraid that if I get older and my acne dosen't clear up, I will be living with my parents in their basement for the rest of my life, like some hermit. Could someone please give me some much needed advice, any advice. I need to get my life back on track before it's too late. Right know I don't have a will to live.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2003, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Reading your message was like reading my own thoughts,every word you have said i have said too,infact i feel like i wrote your message,its quite scary really.
Acne has been a major part of my life for the past 10 years or so admittadly not that bad at times and none exsistent at other times,but the past year has been a nightmare for me,My acne is mild but persistant and like you say it comes back as soon as my face clears up,sometimes ive been lucky and had a few weeks of clear skin here and there but recently its always spotty,even if its just the odd one or two spots.
Like you i try and avoid situations that put me in a public place,ive stopped going the local pub,i dont travel as much as i would like to,i dont bother trying to better myself career wise,basically im always putting things off hoping that next week or next month ill have half decent looking skin and then ill be able to start living my life to the full,the only problem is im 28 and life seems to fly by,there wont be enough time left to do everything that i want to do.
Sometimes you just want to lay in bed all day and hide away but this leads to depression and thats not the way to go.
You have to keep fighting and never give up hope of finding something that works for you because eventually you will.
Its a pain in the butt constantly having to try new lotions potions tablets etc but if you dont you will never know if you have missed the chance of a cure.
Ive been extremley depressed recently because of my skin condition and hibernated away for a week,luckily though my girlfriend is great and she helped me to get out of the depression i had got myself into,then i found this site and reading all of your comments and problems about your skin has been a tonic for me,its given me the courage to carry on and keep trying for that cure,
So basically mate all you can do is NEVER give up hope and keep trying as many new treatments as you can giving each of them time to work,i know its awfull waiting for these medications to kick in especially when you are not seeing any results for months,but dont give up.
Today i got the courage to visit my local tanning shop where i went on the tanning bed for 5 minutes,im writing another message about that in a minute,basically its a way of minimizing the appearance of acne when you are a bloke and cant wear make up thus giving you some well deserved confidence.
Anyway mate ive rattled on for long enough now,so once again dont give up hang on in there and eventually you will be cured or at least alot better

[This message has been edited by scouselad1974 (edited 03-12-2003).]

Old 03-12-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

too old for this HB User
I know exactly what you're going through. I had basically no social life in college because of my acne. Although it was never THAT bad I just couldn't handle it. I went through a bout of depression in freshman year because of it. It was something that neither my parents nor my therapist could understand --that you could have depression because of acne. I thought I was a bad person, that I was so conceited and self-absorbed that I couldn't get past my skin. That just made me feel worse. After reading this board I see that many people have gone through this and I feel more normal.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and reclaim those years, just study and enjoy life like a college person should. (I'm 30-something now.) It's way easier said than done, I know, but I think you should try your best to enjoy yourself and be successful in your career, while you're still searching for your own solution/cure to acne. Ultimately the people who'll be hiring you don't care about your skin but whether or not you can do the job.

You're a guy, right? I think you'll have a better chance of outgrowing it than me, a female. Women tend to have acne due to hormones. I'm still dealing with it.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
I would try eliminating all sugar from your diet because that helps make acne worse. Eliminate sugar, white flour and pasta.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #5

dakota11 HB User
hey nadnad,
congrats on graduating. if its any consolation, i know exactly how u feel cause ur story sounds exactly like mine. i am still in university and i am very worried that i am gonna fail out b/c of my skin.
...the point is, ur not alone. u just gotta keep trying new things to help control it. my problem is that i don't want to go to the dermatologist when my skin is bad (which is kind of ironic cause that's why you would go in the first place!) but b/c of this i lose out on trying new treatments.
are you seeing a dermatologist? what kind of stuff have u tried taking b4?
anyways, i hope ur feeling better. take care.

Closed Thread