It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 06:58 AM  

Sahuja1 HB User
Multivitamin Causing Acne??

Hi,
Has anyone ever experienced breakouts as a result of taking multivitamins? I just started them last week and since then my face is flaring up a bit. I am taking Centrum A-Z...

Old 01-27-2004, 09:11 AM  

mrgreen HB User
Re: Multivitamin Causing Acne??

B6 and B12 are known to cause acne

Last edited by mrgreen; 01-27-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 AM  
(male)

redwing HB User
Lightbulb Re: Multivitamin Causing Acne??

Centrum A-Z has iodine in it. Iodine causes acne flare-ups for some people. I would suggest trying a multivitamin without iodine. Also, try to find one with balanced B-vitamins, with 100% of the RDA for each B vitamin.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM  
Inactive

prometheus HB User

centrum also has dairy in it. Multivitamins and bad vitamins have been known to give people breakouts, though, regardless of secondary ingredients.

Old 01-27-2004, 11:03 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
centrum also has dairy in it. Multivitamins and bad vitamins have been known to give people breakouts, though, regardless of secondary ingredients.
Bad vitamins? Which do you consider good vitamins to take if any?

Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 PM  
Inactive

prometheus HB User

bad vitamins are vitamins from questionable sources, with questionable absorption or utilization by the body. Large doses of synthetic vitamins upset the body, or simply need to be excreted or otherwise removed by the liver. That doesn't mean there aren't good vitamins, though. Bad vitamins are also vitamins which have questionable secondary ingredients: binders, fillers, the materials used to make the capsule etc. Most multivitamins are bad vitamins, in my opinion, because they do not formulate them correctly. Different vitamins prevent or interfere with the absorption of other vitamins.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-27-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:18 PM  
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

my multi vitamin(i take 4 a day) have loads of everything like 800mg Vit a, they even have magnesium in them only thing is they are huge haha, iv'e never had any trouble with multivitamins and my acne, its just like all the things about smoking related ot acne in my opinion it doesnt effect acne, i smoke about 10 cigarettes a day and it has never caused any problems for me, then again i cured my acne through diet, like prometheus(only i didnt follow the diet as strictly..didnt feel the need too) i think my acne is definetely related to my nutrient difficiency, but anyway no, i dont think multivitamin are related to any form of acne.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:44 PM  
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Vortex,

if you healed your acne with diet and you smoke 10 cigarettes a day I think that you are the exception. Perhaps it is your youth. Why do you smoke, Vortex? It may not directly affect your acne, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect your body. If you do it for the social aspect, know that it is only socially acceptable or redeemable until you are about 20. Why carry around an addiction with you for the rest of your life just because it is "cool" for a few years?

I think you must be kidding. I seem to recall you saying something anti smoking earlier, but perhaps that was jhart.

As far as vitamins go, I've seen it enough to believe it. People saying multivitamins caused their acne, and that the acne breakouts stopped once they stopped taking the vitamins.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-27-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:53 PM  
(male)

buffguy HB User

So what multivitamin should I be taking? Right now I am taking a Centrum one, guess thats not a good one...

Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 PM  
(male)

Ratman HB User

Interesting post. I've been taking Men's One-A-Day multivitamins and my acne seems to be getting worse. I stopped taking them about 2 days ago and my face seems to be getting a little better. I did take these same multivitamins a long time ago, and if I remember correctly the same thing happened. It's so hard to tell though. I could be flaring up because of the tretinoin I'm using, or because of stress, or just because. It's so hard to test out things with your acne, because the acne could be getting better or worse for any number of reasons.

Saw my reflection and cried
So little hope that I died

Old 01-28-2004, 06:06 AM  
(male)

redwing HB User
Thumbs up Re: Multivitamin Causing Acne??

One-A-Day Men's has iodine in it. Try One-A-Day Essential instead.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:19 AM  
Inactive

prometheus HB User

if you have acne i would say stop taking any vitamins you are currently taking long enough to assess if they are a problem. Then, actually research the source of the vitamins in a product and buy a product that has neither dairy or gluten in the ingredients. If it is still a problem, then it may be an amount of a certain vitamin. If that is the case, then buy individual vitamins of the ones you believe you need.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 AM  
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
Vortex,

if you healed your acne with diet and you smoke 10 cigarettes a day I think that you are the exception. Perhaps it is your youth. Why do you smoke, Vortex? It may not directly affect your acne, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect your body. If you do it for the social aspect, know that it is only socially acceptable or redeemable until you are about 20. Why carry around an addiction with you for the rest of your life just because it is "cool" for a few years?

I think you must be kidding. I seem to recall you saying something anti smoking earlier, but perhaps that was jhart.

As far as vitamins go, I've seen it enough to believe it. People saying multivitamins caused their acne, and that the acne breakouts stopped once they stopped taking the vitamins.
i exageratted firstly, i dont smoke 10 a day, more like 3 or 4, or i go a few days without it and have the odd one, it's kind of an addiction, i do it because it calms my nerves, i am a manic depressive so having a cigarette during the day greatly calms my nerves

Old 01-28-2004, 09:24 AM  
Inactive

prometheus HB User

that's odd because it's a stimulant. It can't really calm your nerves. They say the perceived calming effect is psychological, being the warmth produced by the smoke in the lungs, the breathing of it in, the social aspect of it etc, and the fact that when you come down, and the effects wear off you become jittery in need of that stimulant to concentrate once again. Were you manic depressive before you started smoking? Perhaps it is the high and low cigarettes create that makes you manic depressive. Try switching to L-Theanine instead. L-theanine will calm you for real while it isn't sedative.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-28-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:54 PM  
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

Quote:
that's odd because it's a stimulant. It can't really calm your nerves. They say the perceived calming effect is psychological, being the warmth produced by the smoke in the lungs, the breathing of it in, the social aspect of it etc, and the fact that when you come down, and the effects wear off you become jittery in need of that stimulant to concentrate once again. Were you manic depressive before you started smoking? Perhaps it is the high and low cigarettes create that makes you manic depressive. Try switching to L-Theanine instead. L-theanine will calm you for real while it isn't sedative.
yes i was a manic depressive before i started smoking, i don't crave it, i bought a deck of 10 richmond today, only smoked 2, it just depends what mood im in, i gave the rest to my mates, i couldnt be bothered with it, but smokin has not really effected my acne, i guess because i balance it out with all the salad and fruit and water i drink..im not too sure, is smoking known to cause problems with acne? or just it effects some people?