It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 03:34 PM   #1

lola76 HB User
Smile Soy, Dairy and Acne

Hello!
I just joined this message board today. Glad to have found it! My post is about the effects of soy vs. dairy on acne.

Two weeks ago I decided to cut out dairy products from my diet (as well as chicken) as I had read about the hormones injected can be a serious cause of acne. I am 27 and have had acne for about 10 years (to various degrees). In my diet, I do not eat red meat but DO eat fish. I have als been also adding soy beans, soy milk into my diet. I eat lots of veggies and fruits and have a pretty low carb, low sugar and low sodium diet.

I would like to know if anyone else has done the dairy free high soy diet and if they noticed good resluts in their skin. I have read much on the internet on this, and there are cases on both sides (pro and con soy and dairy). I would like to know from personal experiences on this.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-31-2004, 04:08 PM   #2

honeybearkitty HB User
Re: Soy, Dairy and Acne

I am female, almost 25, and have had acne for almost 4 years.

I tried a diet similar to yours before the holidays. It only lasted a couple weeks - I can't NOT eat my mom's Christmas dinner!!! I went on a pesco-vegetarian diet that included soy milk, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and rice/rice products. Also dairy/gluten-free. I noticed an immediate improvement in my skin in those couple weeks. My pimples faded away and left the usual red marks behind. I got no new blemishes during that time. I just started again today, after having a horrific breakout these past few weeks. I decided it was worth another shot since I saw so much improvement. I also plan to try soy protein powder. I was using whey protein powder, which is dairy. I am doing the Body For Life program, so I need the extra protein.

How does your skin look these days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 04:12 PM   #3

honeybearkitty HB User

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145662&highlight=soy[/url]

Hmmmm.... I don't know anymore!!!!

Old 01-31-2004, 04:44 PM   #4

lola76 HB User

Honey Bear Kitty,
Thanks so much for the reply.
I actually think my skin seems smoother, but I am still breaking out. I am also a 'picker' which is just bad for acne to begin with ( i pick at my face sometimes compulsively). So if i think about it, the picking makes it look worse, but i do believe the acne itself is reducing. So I will certainly keep this up.

Oh, and thank you so much about the info on soy protien supplements. I do whey protien (as I have for about 6 years) and I will switch this now too. SUcks cuz I jusst bought a new container. lol. ANy brand u suggest low carb/zero sugar and high protien?

Thanks girl!
Lola

Old 01-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #5

lola76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearkitty
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145662&highlight=soy[/url]

Hmmmm.... I don't know anymore!!!!
I just read that as well, lol. Well like i said, there are claims for and against dairy and soy.... I think personal experience is best (even if scary).

Im still gonna keep at it. I am sure in another 2 weeks I will be able to notice a difference.
Ill keep u posted

Old 01-31-2004, 04:49 PM   #6

lola76 HB User

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I am also using Nutragena Clear Pore treatement- a low SA gel for nite and the retinol and SA day time lotion. Started this same time as my diet... So maybe its hard to determine which is the cause for improvement. What face products do you use?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:36 PM   #7
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Guys those whey and soy protein powders are evil. I hardly breakout these days, but whenever I try to introduce those two products I am guaranteed an outbreak.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
Inactive

prometheus HB User

is there a difference between "whey protein" and "whey powder"?

my body is not a fan of soy either, Karl. I am very skeptical of these soy supplements and proteins. I don't think that normal fermented soy like miso, or regular whole soy beans like edamame(sp) are at all harmful for acne or anything else. Though I can see how they could be if you had a pre-existing thyroid condition, or something.

Last edited by prometheus; 01-31-2004 at 08:04 PM.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #9
(male)

Karl2 HB User

prometheus....I seem to be able to tolerate soy milk reasonably well. When I mentioned whey/soy protein I mean't the protein powder isolates that you'd find at stores like GNC. I tried using both varieties (soy/whey) and they seem to go straight through me, in that, they seemingly end up on my face in a matter of days.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Hmm....it may depend on the quality of soy.

Personally I loved whey isolate, it was the best tasting protein supplement I've ever had...yet... I don't know. I started using it early this past summer, but I also started eating lots of cherries (in season) and I started to breakout in CYSTS. I eliminated the Collegen supplement I was on (for scars) and it didn't stop. So I eliminated the Cherries and it did.

Now, at this point I was only consuming Dairy products 20% - 30% of the time, so by adding in the whey I was consuming dairy daily (specifically a dairy protein that increases IGF-1 levels). Yet, somewhere in there I thought maybe the creatine (I've heard both good and bad) may have been problematic for me in the Whey Protein and stopped this as well (I'm never fully faithful to protein shakes). I can't recall when I stopped this, so it may be a factor (it also didn't put ANY wieght on me). I've looked everywhere and cannot find ANY reason why cherries would bother me. So if it turns out it was the Whey (not going near that shake, I'll try eating cherries again), then that proves that Dairy is a culprit for me (there's scientfic & pseudoscientific evidence to back that).

On the other hand Soy and I aren't on the best of terms taste wise. I cant tolerate the taste of most soy foods (includes soy nuts, soy milk). The only soy I intentially consume is 100% soy sauce, but even then that's rarity depending on when I now have Asian foods (every 1 - 3 months). I dont avoid soy, in the sense that I'm reading ingredient labels, but otherwise, I don't consume it (intentionally). Soy protein can act as an IGF-1 mimicker, can raise your IGF-1 level and may naturally contain IGF-1, so....there's 3 reasons (or maybe only 2 since part of increase may be due to it's IGF-1 mimicking abilities) to stay away from Unfermented soy (proteins should be broken down).

I recall one woman jumped on the "Soy is good bandwagon" and consumed soy everything and it actually made her acne worse. Once she stopped consuming soy, her acne improved, but didn't clear. This is also a reason why Vegans and Vegetarians may still be breaking out (that and consumption of Gluten). Like I mentioned earlier, it may depend on the quality (refined vs. not) and also how it's prepared (whole legume vs. sprouted, fermented). There's even an acne ebook that says if you consume soy, it needs to be Sprouted or Fermented first for optimal digestion, otherwise, don't consume it.

Personally, the best protein supplement I found that put weight on me was Brewers yeast. It made my skin soft, grew my hair and added pounds. Unfortunately it tastes bad, but you can get the kind that tates "better", However, I do believe that this is made from wheat and this is why I no longer touch the stuff =(

Hope you figure it out

P.S. Just an FYI about the composition of Human vs. Cow Milk
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12791644&dopt=Abstract[/url]

Old 02-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

sweetjade is whey protein the same thing as caseine or are they different? Is "whey powder" the same thing as whey protein because the last time I looked up whey (a long time ago) I thought I read that it was fat. I guess I should just look it up again.

Old 02-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

LOL, Prometheus I'm not the expert when it comes to all these supplements but whey and casien are two different milk proteins. Interestingly enough, they are both found in human milk as well. In fact Human milk has more Whey protein, while Cows have more Casein. Of course, they both can be problematic beyond a certain age, etc

Old 02-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #13

honeybearkitty HB User

Casein - A white, tasteless, odorless protein precipitated from milk by rennin. It is the basis of cheese and is used to make plastics, adhesives, paints, and foods.

Whey - The watery part of milk that separates from the curds, as in the process of making cheese.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Thank you, Honeybear, Sweetjade.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Thanks Sweetjade - I hope everything is kewl between us. In regard to the point that needed to be clarified: it was definitely NOT injurious in any way. If anyone ever organizes a Healthboards christmas party I will tell you, and you will LOL

Closed Thread