It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 AM   #1

chicken1 HB User
gyno/derm WHY WON'T THEY RX SPIRO????

I'm 30 years old, been dealing with acne and excessive hair since puberty, and have now seen both my derm and finally a gyno about both....my gyno put me on yasmin yesterday but will not go to spiro...jeez!...i'm so frustrated because i just KNOW that that's the drug i need to be on...the acne has gotten better since i started dorx but who wants to be on antibiotics forever....has anyone else had problems getting an rx for spiro??? i went with the literature i gathered and everything and still NOTHING....what gives?? what does a girl with excessive hair and acne have to do??? i'm even thinking about ordering online and going around the whole doc thing, as they seem to think there is nothing wrong.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #2

saira2 HB User
Re: gyno/derm WHY WON'T THEY RX SPIRO????

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbutt
I'm 30 years old, been dealing with acne and excessive hair since puberty, and have now seen both my derm and finally a gyno about both....my gyno put me on yasmin yesterday but will not go to spiro...jeez!...i'm so frustrated because i just KNOW that that's the drug i need to be on...the acne has gotten better since i started dorx but who wants to be on antibiotics forever....has anyone else had problems getting an rx for spiro??? i went with the literature i gathered and everything and still NOTHING....what gives?? what does a girl with excessive hair and acne have to do??? i'm even thinking about ordering online and going around the whole doc thing, as they seem to think there is nothing wrong.

what were the reasons they wouldn't give it to you? i have been on it for over a year and i just get my blood checked every 2 months to make sure it's not affecting other parts of my body. i'm really curious as to what your docs said about the spiro. it's been around for i think 25 years and it's known to be fairly safe. thanks for your response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 PM   #3

chicken1 HB User

you know, i have no idea!!...both of them have heard about it but they say, "you think you've got it bad...i've seen women with far worse..." no kidding...as though that helps....i just don't understand how they can be so unsympathetic AND women....i feel like doctor shopping just to get the rx and be checked for potassium levels....anyone know any docs in north jersey?

Old 02-06-2004, 11:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbutt
you know, i have no idea!!...both of them have heard about it but they say, "you think you've got it bad...i've seen women with far worse..." no kidding...as though that helps....i just don't understand how they can be so unsympathetic AND women....i feel like doctor shopping just to get the rx and be checked for potassium levels....anyone know any docs in north jersey?

Hmm...you can tell them to kiss your assets and just go to an Endocrionologist or another doctor instead. Hirsutism can be Idiopathic or Hormonal...although both are hormonal ;-)

Idiopathic Hirsutism = when you have normal hormone levels but increases Follicular Sensitivity and usually increased DHT production in the hair follicles.

Androgenic Hirsutism = which is due to having HIGHER than normal amounts of androgens (Testosterone, DHT, etc) in the blood stream and also increased DHT in the follicles.

A good indicator of Androgenic Hirsutism would be if you have other hormonal problems. We know that you have acne (but this could also be due to sensitivity), but what else? Irregular Cycles, Hair loss (on scalp), Dandruff, Wieght Issues, etc?

Of course, none of that truly matters because if it's not Hypertrichosis (usually it isn't), than it's caused by some form of androgenic activity. It actually took a woman doctor (I was 17) before anyone seriously looked into giving me medications for my crazy hormones. She put me on BC, did nothing for the hirsutism, but did help reduce the acne. So later I saw an Endocrinologist (2nd one) and he said tha some people can just be extra sensitive to normal hormones and if I wanted I could go on Spironolactone. Well 6 months later (new male regular doctor), I had him put me on 200mg of Sprionolactone =)

That was my medication for 3 years. I just read something the other day that Spironolactone only reduces androgen levels by 30%. I must admit that's how much it added to the effects of my BC. So instead of 50% clear skin...I would have a 60% - 80% clear skin (80% was only during the summer). This did help reduce some of the body hair, but not as much as changing my diet and spiro did (past 18 months).

Anyway, this is currently my own conundrum. I've been on Spironolactone for nearly 6 years, although I recently stopped 2 months ago. I still have hirsutism and it looks as if some hairs are growing back. This is the thing I want to get across to any of you women with hirsutism and androgenic alopecia (scalp hair loss to DHT). ONCE the hair follicles have been sensitized, even when your testosterone levels naturally decline (in your 20s and so on)...those follicles will STILL be sensitive & stimulated by DHT. Meaning, you will ALWAYS need a Follicular Anti-androgen (external or internal) otherwise, the hair will come back (unless it dies). Therefore, the sooner you can get control of your Acne, Hirsutism, and other Hormonal disturbances, the less "drama" you'll have to deal with when you get older.

Now back to what I was saying, Spironolactone (Aldactone) has been around quite awhile and has been used for the treatment of hormonal disorders in women for over 20 years. So yes, you really need to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion because those doctors no nothing about this! What makes this more effective than Birth Control is because it actually binds to the Androgen Recptor (it's an analogue) and becomes antagonistic. It prevents the Androgen from binding, which means it also prevents the need for 5 alpha reductase enzyme, meaning less DHT that's converted. I was on 200mg for 3 years (Sprio-BC combo), then 150mg for 1 year (Avandia - Spiro) and then 150mg of Spiro and a Customized Gluten-Free Diet.

Of ALL those combinations.... the GF Diet-Spiro combo was the Most effective thing for my Hirsutism, Menstrual Cramps, and Acne!!! Discovering what a huge impact changing my diet had on my skin, I'm hoping to do the same with replacing the Spiro with some sort of Supplement or Herb. Mainly the only problems I have left to deal with are my Dandruff, slight androgenic alopecia, and mild hirustism (spiro only took care of some of the hirsutism) which are all symptoms of some DHT exposure or sensitivity. =(

For those interested in anti-androgens, if you live outside of the U.S. Cyproterone Acetate (CPA is also in Diane 35) is supposed to be supperior to Spiro. In 1987 there was a clinical trial run where they used dosages of 50mg on women and after 6 - 8 months they noticed improvements in their hirsutism. There's also another article I found that mentioned that women can start with 100mg - 200mg of spiro for 6 - 12 months and then reduce to a maintence dose of 25mg - 50mg. I suppose that sounds about accurate because there are women on here that claimed that 25mg - 50mg of Spiro CLEARED them. Wish it did that for my acne, but it didn't. Yet I'm wondering if I might be able to handle my mild hirsutism with 50mg....hmm.

Also another combination is to combine Progesterone and Birth Control. This is actually what Joeh follows...sorta. He's a male and uses 100mg of Spiro and Estrogen to clear his skin. This is actually the basis of not just Diane 35, but Yasmin and Allesse, but of course it really does depend on where your hormonal imbalance is coming from because they use different anti-androgens.

Alternative Treatments thus far include: NAC (w/ 2-3x Vitamic C dose), Saw Palmetto, Nettle, Beta Sitosterol, Vitex (encourages production of Progesterone), NPC (natural Progesterone Cream), and a form of Low Carb/Hormonal Balancing Diet. Anyway, it always seemed to me that I might have good luck if I just went out and bought a man's Prostate Formula because whatever is used to treat acne, hirsutism is usually going to also be used to treat Male Patterned baldness and Prostate Hyperplasia. Then again...sometimes it can backfire (cause increase growth) or do nothing at all.

There are people on here that RAVE about Saw Palmetto (men and women) at dosages ranging from 100mg - 350mg (or more) improving or clearing their acne. LOL, but when I was taking 1800mg for several months (3 seperate times) it did nothing. Maybe it was because I was already taking BC-Spiro (competing?) so that's something I may have to revisit. I've mainly read that Saw Palmetto (at 85% - 95% sterols) decreases hair and acne, but also improves prostate function similar to Finasteride (Proscar, Propecia)! It does so by the same mechanisms as Sprionolactone, by acting as an analogue and binding to the androgen receptors, etc. It also goes under the name of Permixxon (I guess for the clinical trials) or it's natural name Serona Repens and reduces DHT by 50%.

Now, if you want a really effect DHT blocker you want to hit it at 5 alpha-Reducatase Type I and Type II enzymes (why the thrill over Avodart, but it's only for men). DHT is responsible for the body hair growth and scalp hair loss due to stimulation of androgen receptors in the hair follicles. It also stimulates the oil glands (sebacious glands) and induces inflammation, etc that creates a symptom we like to call Acne. Below are the types of 5-alpha reducase enzymes:

Type I (33% of DHT) - skin, sebacious glands, sweat glands, & scalp follicles Ex: Spironolactone, Flutamide

Type II (66% of DHT)- sebacious glands, hair follicles & prostate Ex: Finasteride

Hmm...just like Spiro is actually a duretic but acts like an anti-androgen too, there's a drug used for control of stomach acids and ulcers that also acts as an anti-androgen...Tagamet (Cimetidine). Apparently it has worked to treat hirsutism (facial hair) and the results are promissing for the treatment of alopecia. However, like I was mentioned earlier anything you find that works for you will usually be a Long Term Treatment, so you want something with the least to no side effects. Drugs have their own side effects, but to help jump start your progress you could try one of the above. Now, for those wanting to go the natural route, probably finding supplements that bind to the androgen receptor and blocks androgen interaction is probably a best bet in terms of this whole mess.

HTH and Good luck (finding a better doctor) =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-06-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #5

chicken1 HB User

sweet jade:
please tell me when you're going to be a doctor!!!....i'm simply amazed by you...i'd come to your practice in a heartbeat...i've read your posts over the months and you have consistantly been the most informed person on any of the boards i've visited...thank you so much.
so you think i should see an endo?...the idopathic hirsuitsm is such a hard thing for docs to get ahold of....i've researched in on the web and have found one doc in NYC on the web who treats women for different hormonal problems. getting to the city isn't a problem, but getting referal might be....i don't know if i can cite his name but if one looks under hormone help on google, you get his page first....
i dont' know why this has to be so hard....
is there anything you think i should bring to my doc the next time i see her to convince her? I've already brought 5 articles from medscape which lists drug trials and findings but to no avail...after a 4 minute pap and 5 minute talk about , the appointment was over....
again, thank you.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #6
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Sweetjade,

Remember when I told you that diet did nothing for my hirsutism..I think I might be wrong. It's going away.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-07-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Hey =)

Let me tell you, doctors and endocrinologists were not receptive to me. I don't know if it was because they didn't really care, or because they were clueless or because they didn't want to interrupt my hormones during puberty (wish they had sooner though), but it took awhile.

I had a derm for a few years that said it was due to a Hormonal Imbalance and then when I was 14 I saw an Endocrinologist (Internal Medicine doc). He wasn't from my hospital so they ran all tests (for free), except one because it required another lab. That one test was the one I needed =( I didn't get anywhere until I went in for something else actually...lol. That's when I was 17 and first saw this new doctor...a woman!!! She looked at me and my body acne and my body hair and said "no, this isn't right. you're not supposed to have this." =) She put me on the BC, but that wasn't enough. So she made an appt with an 2nd Endo that was visiting my hospital and that's when he mentioned spiro to me. BC still wasn't working so in Aug. of 1998, i saw another doctor (had turned 18 so got an "Adult" doctor). He put me on Spiro. Started at 50mg and worked up to 200mg over a month I think.

What got me here today was a result of wanting my body acne and hirsutism to be GONE. BC-Spiro helped, but they couldn't break my Breakout Cycle (Fall-Winter acne) and I noticed that I was still growing more body hair (even though it was reducing some). So I went to a derm at my hospital and they gave me RetinA (again) and Minocycline. Well the Minocycline pretty much did the job for me and I was only on it for 3 months. I realized that I didn't want to be on it forever and so I stoppped. Within in less than a month I was broken out worse than ever!!! BC-Spiro were powerless...that's when things started to get depressing...

It was almost 7 or 8 months later, that I was at my Gyno for my checkup and asked her if I could go off of the BC because I'm feeling a bit depressed and more sensitive. She asked why I was taking it and I told her it because of my hormonal imbalance. She said that she "would have to make an appt with an Endocrinologist to make sure I do it properly." =)

I remember I first saw HIM, in April 2001. He was the BEST thing that ever happened to me. He tested me that day, but then took me off of both BC and Spiro because he needed a baseline for my hormones. So...if you want this, you will have to go off of ALL your hormones (no BC). I waited 2 months (takes about 2 - 3 months for meds to make changes in system) and went back. He took 17 tubes of Blood and 2 urine contains (gallon size) to run 32 tests! LOL, everybody at the blood lab knows his work ;-)

After those first tests, he was concered about my Cortisol levels so he had me do another 24 hour urine collection (the gallong jug). Everything turned out normal there, so he said I was probably PCOS or Insulin Resistant. He ran a few tests to confirm that I didn't have Diabetes, but in the end he said the Medication would still be the same (somewhere on here I think that's posted...look up PCOS). It's a good thing I got back on Meds because by mid-july I was starting to breakout ;-) After some tweeking my final combo was Avandia (2mg) and Spiro (150mg). Like clockwork every 2 - 3 months I got my hormones checked along the way I would tell him info I learned from these boards and websites. He would either question the basis of treatment (like B5 & Vitamin D3) or would say "OK, I'll test you for that too" Overall the past 2 years with him, were great and I hope I find an endo that just as knowledgable and caring (I'm no longer get free healthcare since I'm 23). He was really good, he listened to me, worked with me, tested me for things that I suspected (if it seemed slightly plausible), caught the labs mistake (for NCCAH testing) and rested me for that, and gave me copies of my test results, LOL, and even he says I should be a doctor.

My bottom line for ALL that, LOL, was that when I tried to get things done, it didn't work. Usually I got the most help, when I was asking for help in another direction (mind boggling). Also, if you noticed it took 3 Endocrinolgists (the first may have worked) over 6 years before I knew what was wrong! Honestly it should have been taken care of sooner, so if your regular doctor and Gyno, both of which are women (shocking), don't care enough, find yourself another doctor or go to an endocrinologist. I don't know if you have to go to the very best, but if you can afford to, he/she may be even more beneficial (lol, some info i found for you came from Redomond's). They may be able to offer you a combo that really kicks this hirsutism in the butt ;-) Of course there's always laser (I dont want to be dependent on drugs or supplements for this). So just go see another doctor and hopefully that doctor will give you a referral. My school practioner she handed me the referral but I've yet to go see a new Endocrinologist yet (been 7 months). It feels great to not need them for my acne anymore, but I still need to see what they have to say about the rest, if I can't figure it out.

Now go get that 2nd opinon! ;-)

P.S. Yes, your job is to be humble, yet still more informed about this then they are. If you KNOW what you're talking about, they will take you more seriously (or get offended..lol). I don't know what you should take... I remember doing a search on google and all the result pages mentioned Spiro for acne treatment...lol. Take a page like that. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to work that hard with them, please find someone wiser.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-07-2004 at 06:47 AM.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

chickenbutt my derm in harrisburg will prescribe me spiro and my md where i live near williamsport,pa prscribes me the prem and spiro.im a guy and got prescribed it in 2 pretty conservative areas.most doctors and even a lot of derms dont know how effective spiro can be on acne.follow sweet jade diet plan and go on spiro if you get weak and slip on your diet plan like i do.but im still eating a lot of low carb food but sometimes i breakdown and stop at mcdonalds.if you wanna go to harrisburg,pa the dr name is dr amato and his wife sharon runs all about faces.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Sweet Jade,
I agree that you are extremely knowledgeable and I always look for your posts and replies when I am on here. Just curious, however, have you tried going off of your diet and do you break out very badly? I ask this because it sounds like you are in your early twenties. Is it possible that your acne is just reducing as you get older?

Also, do you think adult acne sufferers will have it for the rest of our lives or do you think it will get better into our 40's, 50's and 60's.

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Coloradogirl,
I'm going to be very honest with you and say, not that I know of. It is pretty rare for anyone to go into remission of acne unless it was purely due to a temporary hormonal imbalance (Puberty, Pregnancy, Adult Acne).

I seriously doubt my acne has gone away. I know this because I'm only 99% clear, not 100%. That 1% fluctuates depending on what I eat, but I still don't quite know what it is ;-) I've still got some "no nos" in my diet that I'm working on eliminating as I find neccessary. Through this process I've learned to induce acne on myself by simply eating GF cereal w/Organic Milk, peanuts, chocolate candy, etc (on my bad food list). I've tested them several times over (after my skin improved) and they usually show up in the same areas and produce specific types of acne. That's enough proof for me.

I have not eaten anything with wheat in it and have no intentions of ever doing so (reactionary breakouts are a BAD thing). Yet if anyone needs more proof, the fact that this diet eliminated my menstrual cramps (never improved with time) should suffice. If that does not, the only other example I have is that during this past summer when my skin is usually at it's clearest, I started breaking out in cysts all of sudden! I finally narrowed it down to the Cherries that I had been eating for over a month ...or the Whey Protein Isolate shake I had been drinking. I stopped them both at the same time, and when I did...the cysts stopped too. I eat cherries all the time and that's never happened (some foods can mask effects of others), but Whey Protein is something I've never taken before. So this Summer, when cherries are back in season, I will retest this one. I'm avoiding dairy at the moment to see how my skin reacts (when I add some back in) and I'm willing to test out Cherries again. Not just because they are my favorites, but mainly because I want to give you guys the most accurate and reliable of information.

Indeed, over time all those hormones that we are blaming for our problems will decline. However you must remember that we are extra sensitive and/or produce too much hormones. Therefore a natural decline for some of us could essentially mean and do nothing for our skin =( I've come across members that are 30, 40, and 60 years of age and they (male and female) STILL have acne. Most of them at this point have conceded to trying diet and it has worked for them. Some cleared and others preferred to have a bit more freedom and chose supplements (digestive enzymes, fish oils, r-ALA) to compliment this and get improved/clear skin.

You know, the tricky part about all of this, and what most people on here miss, is that the differences among us have to do with the differences in our genes AND environment. To rephrase that, what will determine what symptoms or problems you have in life are based on your body's Gene-Environment Interactions. Now our Genes play a big role, but our environment clearly has a large part too, afterall, this is where our food comes from. Since Food provides the Building Blocks (fat, protein, sugar, etc) for the body, if you give those genes the wrong nutrients, mimickers, inflammatory proteins, etc ...they will respond accordingly. Acne is but one possible symptom of an underlying hormonal or health disorder. Just as with time, some have noticed their acne has traveled or worse...spread, the same goes for this disease. Insulin Resistance, now known as a Metabolic Disorder, can change from acne after so many years into being Overwieght, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes (type II), Obesity, and even Cancer.

(Example) Your friend may not have acne from eating the same foods, but is she overweight? is she Diabetic? Does she have allergies, etc?

I am a product of my parents and depending on what they eat (chocolate candy or citrus) they get a breakout too. In fact, even my brother still has some breakouts. Anyway, my father side has (borderline) Diabetes Type II his side. My Mother has Overweight, Obesity, and Fibroids on hers. She and my uncle (out of 8 kids) had the worst acne and just like me, she even had body acne, was skinny, and had very bad menstrual cramps. In her early 20s her acne cleared (before she got married at 25), but that's when her hormonal problems really began. She actually had trouble carrying all of us to full term. After her 2nd child her fibroids (had in her breast and uterus) started to cause her serious menstrual problems. Severe pain and bleeding, but she held out on getting hysterectomy until after she had a Girl (me). Several years later and 30 pounds heavier, she finally gave up (had she only known about Natural Progesterone Cream) and had the hysterectomy. My Grandmother also had a hysterectomy (also has skin boils), along with most of my mother's sisters. All are overwieght (my mom is the smallest) and unfortunately 2 (1 is her niece) are obese. You know what they eat???? Well I can mainly only speak for my mother, she's a basic "healthy eater" but an actual Sugar Addict (and also has arthritis). I had her and my father take this Insulin Resistance test and Dad and I were in the same catogory (possibly IR) and my mother came up as definately IR!

Say, what are you doing for your acne now? Sometimes I forget, but are you the one that has a Derm and a Doctor in the family? What have they done for your hormonal imbalance? What have you found to be the most effective treatment for you thus far?

As for me, Diet and Spiro were the most effective treatment combo against my acne, hirsutism, and menstrual cramps. Last night I finally realized more so why Diet is so effective and, depending on your goal, more effective than any drug they give us. That's because when you alter your diet by simply Low Carbing or Low Carbing through the elimination of certain foods (Gluten Free, Evil Lection Free, Paleo Diet, etc) you are reducing your overall hormone production. Therefore, the LESS hormones you have, the less IGF-1 you'll have, the less Testosterone there is to be converted into DHT, and the less acne (or other) medication you will need (if any)!!!

A good example would be... lowering your cholesterol levels. You are given medication that lowers this, but you are also advised to not gorge on high cholesterol producing foods, why? Because your eating habits are antagonistic to what the medication is trying to do. Therefore, when the doctor suggests for you to alter your diet, it is really in your best interest and will SPEED up your results if you do so. =) Not to mention, by altering your lifestyle in this healthy way, you can usually reduce or eliminate your medications altogether.

Thus, that explains why I saw a greater improvement in decreasing my hirsutism when I changed my diet. ;-) Before I was merely using something to Block the androgen receptors (spiro), but combining that with reducing my overall steriod hormone production (through diet), meant even LESS androgens to block! I've still got some extra body hair, but the acne is practically gone so I know most people probably don't need medication/supplements to eliminate their acne.

I know this because people of all ages have cleared (or vastly improved) their long term acne by altering their diets to something much more nutritionally healthy and hormonally balanced. Heck I had to give up pistachios because I was suspecting they were breaking me out (neck acne). They are related to cashews, which I am avoiding (Evil Lectin thing), so I brought them to work. My co-worker loves pistachios but frowned when I brought them in. I asked him why and he says that he breaks out whenever he eats them. WOW...his skin is flawless, but even he can detect when something causes a problem for him (thinks it's the oils). Of course someone at work has been eating the pistachios, so I may have to pay his skin a bit more attention. ;-) Anyway, I really think that we are all products of an increasing hormonally deteriorating generations. My mother was worse than her mom and I am worse than my mother. I don't want to pass this on to my kids, therefore I need to learn to eat right now. Furthermore, I don't want to deal with becoming a Diabetic etc. I mean, why would anyone WAIT for something to happen before fixing it, particularly when an increasing number of people and evidence is telling you that your lifestyle will take you down the path of at least, one of several Health Problems???

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-08-2004 at 09:54 AM.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

.........I'm guessing it's because this is the way the Government handles things. They usually believe (hope) it won't lead in that direction, but it usually does. Instead of preventing a preventable problem they now have to deal with an even bigger and more expensive problem. Instead of requiring an overall lowering of Bad Fats and Sugar/Bad Carbs in our Global diet, they continue to shirk the responsibility upon us. It is our fault that Obesity and Diabetes rates are quadrupling. It is our fault that we are eating the wrong (convenience) foods. It is our fault that we don't know what the Right and Wrong foods are to eat, etc. Nevermind the fact that the Wrong foods are much cheaper to eat than Fruits and Vegetables because the government pays farmers to overproduce Grains and Sugar (source of all the fat, carbohydrates and sugar you never wanted).

In fact, Consumer Reports, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report have all brought this up. These are the facts and they are blaming us for our health problems. Yet they are right, with 30% of the population that are Celiacs, plus those that are just plain old allergic to Wheat, and the 33% that are following a Low Carbohydrate diet, that's....(very roughly) 45% - 60% of the Population that has found success in improving their eating habits not just for weightloss but for ultimate health and survival. With those numbers more and more resturants and fast food chains are starting to listen and are offering Gluten Free Menus (select areas), Bunless Burgers (Low Carb Burgers), Great tasting salads, Atkins Meals, etc. Some people think it's a Fad, but knowing what I know, and the research and testimonies that continue to support this...I think it's the opposite. I think we are entering another one of those pivitol moments in history where the public is again shaping the market (as we always should) and hopefully it will lead to them working to fully understand the mechanisms behind which these diets work...oh how they DO work. ;-)

As for the hirsutism, so far all I know is that we may need time if you chose to go the natural diet route, and/or a good androgen analogue. This analogue will block the binding site, so that androgens can't do what they do best ;-) So this is where my research is more so focused on now, for there's definately a greater sensitivity in the folicles when it comes to tackling hirsutism & androgenic alopecia, than acne.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-07-2004 at 11:03 PM.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
Sweetjade,

Remember when I told you that diet did nothing for my hirsutism..I think I might be wrong. It's going away.

Oh goody, that gives me hope =)

Old 02-08-2004, 10:13 AM   #13

pattycake HB User

Hi...

I'm 30 too, still have acne and a lovely mustache and naval line (not that bad really, but to a girl, it's bad enough). Anyway, I was convinced i wanted spiro too, but my Dr, gave me Yasmin instead which worked extremely well. It's got something in it very similar to spiro.

Anyway, I joined a board where women were posting their experiences on the drug (it was fairly new at the time). One girl died from a blood clot to the lung, another developed a blood clot in her leg. I'm not trying to scare you, but they were both in their late 20's and didn't smoke. The girl who survived was active, I don't know about the girl who passed.

I think it's hard to get strong hormones like spiro perscribed because they're potentially dangerous, the risk of stroke, blood clots......it's not worth it to me anymore. I got off the yasmin immediately. I take Orthtricyclen-Lo, it doesn't do much to help the acne but something's better than nothing; actually I'd rather take nothing but I don't want to get pregnant!

Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

spiro is not a hormone.....its a hormone suppresser.its an anti-androgen.i havnt ever heard of anyone getting blood clots from spiro but i guess its possible.now premerin is a hormone(estrogen)and can cause blood clots.this is not the best estrogen in the world but i have done good on it in low doses.testosterone is also a hormone(male) and thats what we are fighting because it is why your sebasious glands are producing too much sebum. hi sweet jade! see ya

Old 03-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
(female)

evelyn1 HB User
Jade

Wow. Intereting information. Sweet jade, if you still are on this board, what diet do you follow? I've had a lot of the same problems and I'm not 47 and still trying to resolve some things. Would love to hear more from you about your specific diet. Thanks.

Closed Thread