It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #1

neZ HB User
Acne and sex?

I'm 19 years old and have had pretty bad acne for about 5 years at least. It comes and goes and varies. Recently I've been analyzing possible reasons as to why there are such cycles. I have tried going to dermatologists and getting pills, creams, etc., and they help some, but do not totally get rid of the acne. What I have found to actually improve my acne, is lack of sexual activity. Being a young male, I am fairly sexually active. Now it seems that the less sexually active that I am, the more my acne clears up. The more sexually active that I am, the more acne that I get.

Is there really any correlation or am I making this up?

If I go 2 weeks without sexual activity then I will not break out (but not completely clear up, either). If I go 2 weeks WITH sexual activity, I break out pretty constantly. I am no scientist and my results are purely based on my own memories.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 PM   #2

isen109 HB User
Re: Acne and sex?

i dont think that is true. I'm 17 and fairly sexually active, but do not get much acne, even if you stop having sex for a while, it does not make any difference. I have a friend who is sexually active but does not get even a single acne on the face. I think it really all depends on your genes -- if you have the acne gene.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 07:07 PM   #3

Big_Wreck HB User

Hey Nez I know how you feel. I made the same connection when I was about 16. People on these boards like to doubt that sex can cause acne but i sure know it was the greatest cause of my acne. I doubted it so many times thinking it wasn't possible but i mean its not a coincidence when i was sexually active I broke out badly and when i wasn't after stopping sex for a week i would clear up so much. I tested it so many times to prove myself wrong but every single time I had sex my acne got worse and everytime i stopped it got better. I know for 100% fact that sex can cause acne in some people. I am 26 now and have been sexually active long enough to know how its effected me. Of course no one wants to go through life not having sex, so if i was you its really important to find out what U can do to stop acne and still be able to have sex. My early 20's were rough battling this problem. Trying to find something that would allow me to have a sex life and not get acne. Accutane failed miserably. Everything did actually. And its hurtful to have to try and always avoid sex or when an event would be coming up i would have to attend i would avoid sex for the week before to make sure my acne wasn't bad.

Of course not everyone who has sex gets acne, but obviously some of us have hormonal imbalances or sensitivities that cause us to get acne from having sex. Its the same as some of us have food sensitivites that cause acne in some people. Not everyone who drinks soda or eats alot of sugar get acne. But some do.

I guess luckily for me is I have been on B5 for almost 5 months and I am clear for the first time since I was about 15. sex or no sex I have been staying 100% clear now. I hope you find something that works for you cause trust me avoiding sex is only a short term solution. Your life will not be fun if you have to use sex to control acne long term, its not a healthy thing to go through. Goodluck to you and also trust what U think is the cause. Don't let people on here tell you its not sex causing it, only you know what causes your acne.

Last edited by Big_Wreck; 02-08-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #4

Laurenmarie179 HB User

its not a myth, i laughed at first too. do some research, and some searches on this board and you will see that when you orgasm--through sex or masturbation, certain hormones/chemicals are released and that for many can aggrivate acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Wreck
Hey Nez I know how you feel. I made the same connection when I was about 16. People on these boards like to doubt that sex can cause acne but i sure know it was the greatest cause of my acne. I doubted it so many times thinking it wasn't possible but i mean its not a coincidence when i was sexually active I broke out badly and when i wasn't after stopping sex for a week i would clear up so much. I tested it so many times to prove myself wrong but every single time I had sex my acne got worse and everytime i stopped it got better. I know for 100% fact that sex can cause acne in some people. I am 26 now and have been sexually active long enough to know how its effected me. Of course no one wants to go through life not having sex, so if i was you its really important to find out what U can do to stop acne and still be able to have sex. My early 20's were rough battling this problem. Trying to find something that would allow me to have a sex life and not get acne. Accutane failed miserably. Everything did actually. And its hurtful to have to try and always avoid sex or when an event would be coming up i would have to attend i would avoid sex for the week before to make sure my acne wasn't bad.

Of course not everyone who has sex gets acne, but obviously some of us have hormonal imbalances or sensitivities that cause us to get acne from having sex. Its the same as some of us have food sensitivites that cause acne in some people. Not everyone who drinks soda or eats alot of sugar get acne. But some do.

I guess luckily for me is I have been on B5 for almost 5 months and I am clear for the first time since I was about 15. sex or no sex I have been staying 100% clear now. I hope you find something that works for you cause trust me avoiding sex is only a short term solution. Your life will not be fun if you have to use sex to control acne long term, its not a healthy thing to go through. Goodluck to you and also trust what U think is the cause. Don't let people on here tell you its not sex causing it, only you know what causes your acne.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #5

grracne HB User

im 19 and im not sexually active, and i have acne...

Closed Thread