It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #1

honeybearkitty HB User
Suggestions, please.... I have a Dr. appt Friday....

I'm currently on my 7th week of Yasmin - I had a pretty bad initial breakout from it, and now have several red spots that are healing, but still very noticeable. I have only about 5 active pimples right now, but plenty of smaller bumps. I'm fairly confident that it is working, however, I'd like to speed up the process by using topicals.

The most success I've had with topicals so far is Neutrogena 2.5% On-the-Spot used with Clindamycin Phosphate 1%. Should I try BenzaClin/Duac? Or should I try Retin-A/Tazorac with Clindamycin Phosphate? Or both, one AM, one PM?

BTW, I tried the Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free diet for a few weeks and that didn't help me at all. Maybe I should have done it longer, but it was way too hard for me!!!

Old 02-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #2

annonymousgirl HB User
Re: Suggestions, please.... I have a Dr. appt Friday....

Retin A Micro didn;t work for me, but it might work for you. Why don't you ask the doctor what he/she thinks is best for your particular case and skin. I think that would be best. None of that stuff worked to me and only 1 week ago I started Accutaine. Have you talked to your doctor about accutaine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Honeygirlkitty -

If you had previous success with Neutrogena On-the-spot (2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide) and Clindamycin Phosphate (1%), I would personally suggest that you opt for either BenzaClin or Duac. Both of them include the same active ingredients of BP (5%) and Clindamycin (1%), but the BP is just at a stronger percentage than you used with the Neutrogena.

I have been using Duac with Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 2 months and I think that the Duac is helping to counter the initial breakout. Granted, I still have the hormonal acne around my chin, but my forehead is very clear compared to what it used to be! I am just hoping it will just get more and more clear within the next couple of months!

Aside from my previous advice, if you are more concerned about the red marks you have, you might want to look into Retin-A or Retin-A Micro. I used to be on RAM and it did work great for about 1 year until my skin started to adapt to it....plus it helped fade some of my scarring! It would just be up to you as far as want you want in a topical!

I do agree with anonymousgirl that you should just discuss everything with your doctor! With any topical, your skin will need time to adapt! Good Luck!

Old 02-25-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

I use Tazorac and Benzaclin, and wash with Triaz. My regimin has been REALLY successful. Tazorac is pretty strong, but my skin eventually became tolerant. Benzaclin helps a lot with drying out pimples. Good luck with your appointment!

Old 02-26-2004, 02:12 AM   #5

grracne HB User

sheesh, tazorac? I heard that stuff is almost as strong as accutane

Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Tazorac isn't as bad as it sounds. I wasn't having any success with Differin, and I was sick of the peely skin it gave me.. Not that Tazorac doesn't give me peely skin, just not that horrible DEEP PAINFUL peeling that came with Differin. Tazorac is very strong at first, it looked like I had a sunburn for the first week or so, but at the same time it killed my acne. Now, the peeling is moderate, and if I moisturize, I don't have ANY. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER take accutane. I'm too afraid of the side effects, especially the mental ones. I would recommend Tazorac to someone who's sick to death of their acne, and doesn't want to take any oral antibiotics. To me, it was worth the trouble in the beginning to have nice skin now.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #7

honeybearkitty HB User

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I will see what my doctor recommends tomorrow!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 09:59 PM   #8

honeybearkitty HB User

Well, I started Retin-A Micro .04% (at night) and oral antibiotics (Tetracycline 500mg 2x/day). During the day, I am currently using 2.5% BP. My doctor says this is pretty much the last thing to try before I consider Accutane (which I am really not crazy about!!!) He says if this works I will use switch from oral antibiotics to topical clindamycin. I'm hoping this works - I've heard bad things about oral antibiotics though. My skin is already peeling from the RAM and looks terrible. I have no significant new breakouts, but I've only used this for 2 days, so I'm sure it's coming. Hopefully the Tetracycline will help with the initial breakout!?!?!?!?

Question: Will taking Tetracycline interfere with my birth control, Yasmin?

Old 02-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #9

frustratedguy HB User

Tazorac didn't do anything for me at all. I used it for a while and it had zero effect on my skin.

And Accutane is made out to be much worse than it is. I have never been happier in my life than when I was on Accutane. The only mental effect it had was a positive one: my skin was clear and life was awesome! Only when its effects wear off do I get depressed. The worst thing most people have to deal with is chapped lips. Slab some Aquaphor on there and you're good as new. Very, very few people have any serious responses to Accutane. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. Though my facial acne comes back after 3-4 months of ending my treatment, my body acne (back, chest, arms) was completely cured after the first course. COMPLETELY CURED! It's amazing.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearkitty
Question: Will taking Tetracycline interfere with my birth control, Yasmin?
I am on OTC-Lo right now. I have read that sometimes certain antibiotics can interfere with the contraceptive aspect of a birth control pill. However, those are usually the stronger antibiotics used for infections (such as strep).

I don't think that I have ever heard of Tetracycline causing any interference problems with birth control pills, but if you want to make sure, you should just get on Yasmin's website they might have a list for you. Or simply call your doctor's office.

As far as Yasmin helping your skin, the Tetracycline shouldn't cause any problems with that....in fact it might even help more!

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM   #11
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Actually many people on this board have said that anitibiotics have interfered with the success of birth control on their acne. When they stopped the antibiotics, the acne got better. I know erythromycin was definately making mine worse while I was on OTC-lo. If I were you, I would wait out the Yasmin and see if it helps in a few months, especially if you're starting to see improvement. The RAM is going to destroy your skin before it makes it better and that in itself will hinder the progress Yasmin might make. I always make the mistake of wanting to speed things up and then I am miserable because I am doing too much. When I have patience with one thing, it will either make it better or worse. Either way, I will know exactly what to keep doing or what to stop.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #12

honeybearkitty HB User

I am very tempted to stop the antibiotics for the time being, just to see if the birth control works on its own. If I'm still having problems in a couple months, maybe I will start it again. I've just read so many posts on people who took antibiotics, some having success for awhile, only for the acne to come back worse than before, or not even beginning to help at all and eventually making matters worse. I'm scared!

I am even wondering about the Retin-A Micro. Even on the information packet included in the box, people only see about 33% less acne after 12 weeks. And for what - to deal with peeling, red, irritated, stinging skin!

I don't know what to do!!!

Closed Thread