It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #1

annonymousgirl HB User
Red face I'm on my 7th day of Accutaine..help..chapped lips..dry skin...:(

Hey! I'm on my 7th day of accutaine and my lips are sooooooo dry.. I have blistex but it doesn't really help. What kinds of chap stick woudl you guy suggest?? Also, my face is dry too, what kinds of moisterizers would you suggest?? And I have a question. I already had 1 bloood test and 1 pregnancy test, what else do they do?? More blood tests?? Every visit do they have to do a blood test?? I am only 15, and I do not know much about this stuff. So, thanks for you time!

Old 02-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User
Re: I'm on my 7th day of Accutaine..help..chapped lips..dry skin...:(

I like Carmex a lot for chapped lips. I've also used aquaphor in the past but haven't seen it around lately. It's great too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymousgirl
Hey! I'm on my 7th day of accutaine and my lips are sooooooo dry.. I have blistex but it doesn't really help. What kinds of chap stick woudl you guy suggest?? Also, my face is dry too, what kinds of moisterizers would you suggest?? And I have a question. I already had 1 bloood test and 1 pregnancy test, what else do they do?? More blood tests?? Every visit do they have to do a blood test?? I am only 15, and I do not know much about this stuff. So, thanks for you time!

Thats great, (lucky sob :P) that means its working. Use blistex medicated chapstick, don't use carmex, as your lips will become dependent and get chapped a lot. (even without the accutane) Also ive been using OLAY Complete moisturizing lotion, seems to work pretty good. Its real white when u out it on, but keep rubbing till its invisible.

Good luck with your accutane, damnit i wish i had insurance.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
(female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
Today is day 8 for me! So far, I am breaking out a little more than usual, and my lips are a little bit dy, but thats it.
You will have to go back each month, before you can get the next months script, for blood tests to check your cholesterol, triglycerides, and liver function. They also will have you take a preganacy test each month.

My friend who took accutane before recommended Burts Bees lip balm. I bought some today, and I love it! She also recommended Cetephil mousterizer, so I have been using that too.
Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #5

jamhow77 HB User

Girl

Your best bet imo is Bag Balm available at CVS. It comes in a large can and a small one. You can buy the large can and use a contact lens case as a dispenser. Bag Balm is the best for Accutane Users and is very cost effective.

Hang in there!!

Jam

Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 PM   #6

lizzie_drew HB User

Today's my fourth day on Accutane..well to tell the truth, this is my second time on accutane so it's nothing new...

I first went on Accutane 3 years ago when i was 16...then i was clear until few weeks ago when my face just started breaking out horridly out of nowhere!! my derm said i should probably go on accutane again (one of his patient had to go on accutane 4 times!! )

Well the only thing i really remember from my first experience with accutane is that it was 5 hellish months with my whole face and especially my lips so dry that they were flaking off all day, every day no matter how much lotion/lip balm i put on. But other than that i didn't have any other side effects.

But this time, on my second day, i started getting stomach cramps, severe headaches and for two days in a row i've had diarrhea.
If i tell my derm, he'd probably take me off accutane, eh? But what about my face then?
Ugh...i hate this!!!!

Old 02-25-2004, 06:49 AM   #7

triggert HB User

This is my 5th day of 20mg Accutane. I haven't really noticed too much dryness yet but I'm keeping myself moisturized anyway just to be safe. My face isn't as red but thats probably because I'm not using my topical solution anymore. I wash my face daily with Cetaphil daily cleanser (wash off kind), use Cetaphil moisturizer, and I was using Carmex for my lips but had also heard that lips will become dependent on it so I'm gonna try something else for everday use. I apply Aquaphor on my lips each night before I go to sleep.

Good Luck,
Trigg

Old 02-25-2004, 07:23 AM   #8

Teresa470 HB User

Quote:
Years ago when I was on Accutane I recall using Tea Tree oil lip balm. It worked wonders for me. ) Good luck!

Old 02-25-2004, 07:40 AM   #9
(male)

reaccter HB User

it's day 8 for me. i only use vaseline lip therapy for my lips. i've not had the flaking but my face is feeling dry even though it gets a bit oily. i'm on 40mg a day for 16 weeks and weigh 65kg.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #10

annonymousgirl HB User

Thanks for your help! Anymore suggestions??

Old 02-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #11

i'mstuck HB User

While on Accutane I've found Carmex is the only thing that works. How does it cause you to become dependent, in a way that others don't? I tried Blistex and it didn't work. Neither did my old favorite Burt's Bees chapstick.

I recommend a humidifier, and use eye drops and the nasal spray frequently even if you don't feel dryness at that moment.

IS

[QUOTE=dfwgoodguy]Use blistex medicated chapstick, don't use carmex, as your lips will become dependent and get chapped a lot. (even without the accutane)

Old 02-26-2004, 06:03 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

For dry lips, try Vaseline. You get a big tub of it for about a dollar. Old-fashioned, but it works...

Old 02-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #13

honeybearkitty HB User

I remember reading a previous accutane post on someone using jojoba oil for skin dryness. It is good for all types of skin and doesn't clog pores. I use it as a nightly moisturizer, and my skin is baby smooth. You can get it at any health food store, like Whole Foods.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #14

Geek_USA HB User

Im on my 7th day as well. Ionly take 1 blood test however, and thats it.

Carmax for chap stick, it works.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:13 PM   #15

Crayze HB User

How do they take the blood test? is it like a huge needle, or do they just poke the end of your finger?

Closed Thread