It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 AM   #1
Inactive

Sahuja HB User
Post Does Coffee cause acne??

Has anyone noticed that drinking coffee or tea (particularly coffee) causes an increase in acne??

Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #2

lady28 HB User
Yes coffee and coke and pepsi cause me to break out with cysts.The caffiene does horrible things to my blood sugar and causes an insulin surge causing the body to release androgens and making the skin greasy causing acne.Do you get low blood sugar after having caffiene?I do extremely bad.I feel wonderfull for about an hour then i get all shakey and mean and panicy if i dont eat protein fast!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

too old for this HB User
I was wondering that myself. I think caffeine might contribute to the problem. I thought about quitting drinking coffee but, well, I'm addicted.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
Inactive

Sahuja HB User
Hi,
No I dont get low blood sugar. But the only beverages I drink are soda (diet-caffeine free) and coffee (occasionally tea) so I am thinking I drink the wrong beverages. I have therefore stopped coffee and increased my water intake. Hope it helps!!

Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran

stasia12 HB User
coffee doesnt "cause" acne" but can certainly contribute de[pending on how much you drink, and what you put in it. If you are dumping lots of sugar in and drinking alot of coffee in one day without drinking water, I think yes, it will help cause acne by ****ing with your blood sugar and stress levels. u also tend to drink more coffee when you are tired, so therefore coffee may become associated with breakouts that are really due to lack of proper rest. some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others and if coffee makes you jittery than stay away from it because the added stress hormones wont help your face.

Old 03-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #6

Brittany HB User
Smile

I'm not sure if coffee makes acne, but for sure NOT TEA. I'm European and I drink a lot of tea, sometimes 5 times a day and tea has never made me acne before. I just have hormonal acne. I just read that Linda Evangelista had a problem with acne and she put tea into her bath to make acne gone. I tried several times, pretty good

Old 03-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
I drink 2 scoops of instant coffee every morning.I have never noticed an increase in acne from drinking it.I drink it plain though without milik or sugar.Coke on the other hand will break me out but I think that has more to do with the sugar content.

Old 03-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #8

dakota11 HB User
my dermatologist listed caffeine as a possible irritant for some ppl. it just depends on ur sensitivity to it. if u think caffeine is the problem ur supposed to eliminate it for a 4 week trial period and see if u notice any difference.
i don't consume any caffeine so i don't know if it would be a problem for me or not. but i do find that salt and sugar really bothers my skin which is frusterating cause it really limits what i can eat.

Old 03-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #9

miss acne HB User
i think coffee is a contributor to my acne. I quit coffee recently and starting drinking alot of green tea. I have seen improvement in my skin due to alot of changes I'm doing with my diet which i think has tremendously helped my acne. Thanks god for these boards!

Old 03-19-2003, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Coffee causes pancreatic cancer. Research paid for by the coffee growers association says coffee is good for you.

Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 PM   #11
(female)

MoonOverMarin HB User
Talking

I used to work at Starbucks and I had great skin at the time. I don't even remember wearing foundation when I worked there. But I think it has a lot to do with where you live and the air. Soon as I would go back to LA and visit my parents I would break out again. I've been living in LA for the past 2 years (I grew up here), and my skin just hasn't been the same. Maybe it's something in the water. Who knows.

My friend sells products that cleans your air and a special shower heads that take out chlorine and other harmful minerals in your running water, but they're so expensive!

So yeah, my point is, coffee does not make you break out. At least not for me.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:46 AM   #12

beat_acne HB User
I'd encourage you to drink tea (chai peeyo ji!)

Old 03-20-2003, 05:40 AM   #13

dimples26 HB User
I think that worrying over what gives you acne and what will clear it up GIVES you zits. Eat and drink what makes you happy and stop living every aspect of your life around your zits. Go out enjoy life, have fun and don't pay so much attention to your complexion. Life is passing you by while you sit in the house and try and find the "cure". Seriously......you'll clear up eventually, and continuously putting zit stuff on your face is only making it worse.
~ cheers ~~

Old 03-20-2003, 07:13 AM   #14

newgirl HB User
My doctor told me not to drink tea if I wanted to clear up my skin. He said that it is very acidic, and that makes many people break out...any kind of tea.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:22 AM   #15

beat_acne HB User
Uhh, I've heard otherwise. I guess it's upto us to find out what's best for us.

Closed Thread