It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

Pymp22 HB User
Question Does Coffee Cause Acne??

I was wondering if coffee might by chance cause acne? I recently went on vacation and drank coffee for 6 days straight and now I have two cysts on my face. I never get cysts!! And, this was the first time I've drank coffee in about 2 years.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
Re: Does Coffee Cause Acne??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pymp22
I was wondering if coffee might by chance cause acne? I recently went on vacation and drank coffee for 6 days straight and now I have two cysts on my face. I never get cysts!! And, this was the first time I've drank coffee in about 2 years.
Our aesthetician told us to stay away from caffeine and, of course, that's in coffee. It could have caused your cysts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

I don't drink coffee or anything with cafene including coke, and I still get pimples. It may cause acne, but it's not the only thing

Old 03-05-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Inactive

prometheus HB User

nah, coffee doesn't cause acne. Nutrient deficiencies cause acne. Did the coffee give you a nutrient deficiency, or worsen your already present nutrient deficiencies? quite possible. Caffeine is in the avoid list for this reason. It depletes nutrients. Plus a lot of people drink their coffee with cream and sugar. There are two more nutrient offenders for you.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

Sable HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
nah, coffee doesn't cause acne. Nutrient deficiencies cause acne. Did the coffee give you a nutrient deficiency, or worsen your already present nutrient deficiencies? quite possible. Caffeine is in the avoid list for this reason. It depletes nutrients. Plus a lot of people drink their coffee with cream and sugar. There are two more nutrient offenders for you.
I think coffee does cause acne. I didn't start getting my acne until I started taking those stupid Caffeine pills to stay awake. Those are equivalent to about 2-3 cups of coffee in one pill.

I used to take them everyday at work and stuff. I finally decided to give the stuff up (cause it was depressing me), and thats when my whole crazy break out started. Therefore, I think that the fact that our acne came out RIGHT AFTER we stopped the caffeine is NOT a coincidence.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #6

davidpt40 HB User

Coffee CERTAINLY causes acne. It causes an adrenal response in the body, which causes increased oil secretion and skin temperature.

One study showed skin temperature on the face rises .5 degrees after drinking a cup of coffee. May not sound like much, but it is.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
(female)

Sable HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpt40
Coffee CERTAINLY causes acne. It causes an adrenal response in the body, which causes increased oil secretion and skin temperature.

One study showed skin temperature on the face rises .5 degrees after drinking a cup of coffee. May not sound like much, but it is.
Your right David...I just looked it up, and caffeine, theophylline (what's found in tea) and *****romine (which is in chocolate) all inhibit cAMP Phosphodiesterase, prolonging the effects of the hormones responsible for generating cAMP (cyclic adenosine mono phosphate) cAMP is responsible in 2nd messenger systems which are regulated by several different hormones, and activate different processes.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #8
(female)

Sky77 HB User

Sable,

Wow! that's interesting stuff about the caffeine... a couple of weeks ago I had one chocolate muffin everyday for a week and I got this huge red welt on my face after 5 days of muffins. I thought it could've been the muffins but was never sure. A few days ago, I had a mocha fap, and I got a rash the next day on my face. I don't know if it's the caffeine or the dairy in both foods. I have a suspicion that I might be intolerant to dairy but I'm not sure.... it's hard to tell because half a year ago I was fine eating chocolate, coffee, and dairy...

Old 03-07-2004, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Vortex773310 HB User

i actually heard a theory that Coffee may help acne, as it reduces your estrogen(or something like that) levels, im not quite sure, i can't quite recall, but this in some way dims your sensitivty to other foods.

Closed Thread