It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

Sable HB User
Low Carb diet

Does anyone have tips on a good Low Carb diet?

All I eat is carbs (cereals, breads, crackers, pasta). So I don't know what the heck I'm going to eat if I decide to cut carbs?

And I don't want to eliminate them, I just want to "cut down" on them. See if maybe that will help?

Old 03-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
(female)

j54 HB User
Re: Low Carb diet

I know what you mean Sable - carbs are pretty much what I eat too - cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, then rice/pasta/potatoes with dinner. And I'm in a flat where we cook together for dinner, so it's kind of tricky to stop, but I'd appreciate some advice on this one too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

No such thing as a good low carb diet, unless you are an alaskan inuit (and you plan to die at 45). You want to eat high carb. You want to eat a lot of vegetables and raw nuts and seeds. You don't want to cut out fruit. Yes I know eating bad carbs and processed/refined carbohydrates interferes with your ability to properly metabolize and digest good carbohydrates..but cutting out or cutting down carbs is not the answer to the problem.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-09-2004 at 10:49 AM.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Hi Sable-
It's impossible to cut out carbs..I too have been wanting to do it so I went and bought that stupid Atkins for Life diet book...It's just not for me!
Yeah, some people of really been successful at it and I know a few but man
you really need to cut out your breads, cereral, pasta, potatoes, rice, anything high in Carbs...Just can't do it..
BUT...you can cut back on carbs - Try: tunafish, roastbeef rolled with cheese instead of in bread, cucumbers, grilled chicken, eggs & bacon,
I hardboil a dozen eggs at time leave them in the refrid and grab two every morning, add a bannana or some strawberries for mornings. Eat lots of salads but change what you put in it so it doesn't get boring, eggs again one day,
tuna another & chicken another day, or add some turkey slices or roastbeef.
I try to eat bread every 3rd day and allow myself only 2 slices on that day.
PASTA---God I love it, I can eat a pound of it! I just cut my portions to about a cup and half once a week instead of three times a week.
It's hard giving up Rice & Potatoes so I've just been very careful...I HAVE LOST weight doing this, Honestly...the best is watch the portions.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 AM   #5

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
No such thing as a good low carb diet, unless you are an alaskan inuit (and you plan to die at 45). You want to eat high carb. You want to eat a lot of vegetables and raw nuts and seeds. You don't want to cut out fruit. Yes I know eating bad carbs and processed/refined carbohydrates interferes with your ability to properly metabolize and digest good carbohydrates..but cutting out or cutting down carbs is not the answer to the problem.

Yes..you want to cut out all of the bad carbs...but you want to take in lots of good carbs . I eat LOTS of carbs..but all natural ones . You don't need pasta, bread, or crackers..and you can cut them out if you choose to and truly set your mind to it. I feel and look much better since getting rid of those terrible refined carbs long ago. Of course..I don't believe in Atkins or low carbing diets. Bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese....you don't need that stuff either Just my 2 cents .

Take care! Happy and healthy eating!

Old 03-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

Sable HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMeaganMay
Yes..you want to cut out all of the bad carbs...but you want to take in lots of good carbs . I eat LOTS of carbs..but all natural ones . You don't need pasta, bread, or crackers..and you can cut them out if you choose to and truly set your mind to it. I feel and look much better since getting rid of those terrible refined carbs long ago. Of course..I don't believe in Atkins or low carbing diets. Bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese....you don't need that stuff either Just my 2 cents .

Take care! Happy and healthy eating!
What are "Natural carbs"?

Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Meagan,

I recently discovered Kombu noodles! They are grain free, and very nutritious. They do taste different, but I ate them cold, and I imagine they would be very good warm or with tomato sauce! True Atkins diets do not cut out vegetables or fruit, but they are still too high protein, and too low carb. No one needs this amount of animal meat, atleast not past adulthood. It may lead to premature aging, as well. In our modern environment, we need more vegetables and more fruit..and we need vegetables besides peas and carrots!!!!!! Vegetables should be the bulk of the meal, and there should be many different varieties! I concur, no one needs bacon, sausage, eggs, or dairy.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #8

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
I recently discovered Kombu noodles! They are grain free, and very nutritious. They do taste different, but I ate them cold, and I imagine they would be very good warm or with tomato sauce!
Thanks for the info regarding Kombu noodles...of course afterwards..I had to go and look them up For those wondering what they are....

Kombu is a flourless noodle which is made from 100% kombu sea kelp, prepared without any additives, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors.

They are rich in calcium and iodine and lots of other good stuff...plus low in calories if anyone cares about that lol. Lots of good reviews regarding these . Suggestions were to include them with vegetarian meals, seafood, and I also found a few recipes were they added lemon and i think a bit of olive oil to create a few types of "salad". What exactly is the taste like Prometheus?

These would be good for those who are trying the diet but don't like to cook ...since you don't have to cook them if you don't want too. Although I'm not to sure if they would suit everyones taste buds around here lol. I think they are fairly cheap also?

Hmm...I'll have to try these soon

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2004 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #9

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable
What are "Natural carbs"?
Fruits and veggies .
Juicing them is even better..especially if you don't like certain veggies. The ones I like I generally steam...the others that I don't like (but I know are good for me)...I juice. This get's them down much easier..and I can usually add in other vegetables and such to make it better tasting.

Go back to nature...

That's the stuff you want to start eating .

Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
Inactive

prometheus HB User

they tasted salty, and like seaweed, but not overpowering.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #11
Inactive

seamus HB User

Quote:
they tasted salty, and like seaweed, but not overpowering.
Promethus, i'm curious what you believe is the real cause of better skin when a person is on a low-carb diet. is it the lack of carbs/sugar regulating the person's hormone level OR is it the unintended effect of a reduction in calories that usually happens on a low-carb diet? or maybe it's a combination of both.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #12
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Well, people don't usually lower their calories on a low carb diet. The weight loss is superficial because of the protein intake. It is the improvement of nutrition. Some people do not get better skin on a low carb diet, simply because it is not enough to improve their nutrition. I think some low carb diets are better than others. These are low carb diets that omit the bad foods: refined/processed/enriched grains, refined sugar. Low carb diets that omit wheat are going to fare better for people than low carb diets that do not. If a person chooses pasta for their carb on a low carb diet and not vegetables they won't see the same results as someone who chooses vegetables. Improving nutrition improves acne. Low carbing can regulate blood sugar levels, and inflammation. Diabetics regulate their blood sugar by low carbing, but this does not improve their insulin sensitivity. An optimally nutritious diet high in magnesium has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and prevent diabetes. A low carb diet could improve skin but it won't completely eliminate acne like an optimally nutritious diet would.

Also, a lot of people eat dairy with carbs (cereal, bagels, sandwich, etc).

Last edited by prometheus; 03-10-2004 at 07:25 AM.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:30 AM   #13

MsMeaganMay HB User

I agree that some people do show improvement on low carb diets also..simply because alot of them do address the issue of eating healthier (cutting out refined sugars...eating "natural" nut butters over the ones generally in grocery stores...eating fish...more vegetables). Although I do know people who's skin has worsened on low carb diets. For example, many of my family practices a low carb diet. BUT, they now have things like bacon, egg, and cheese omeletes for breakfast, ham and cheese roll ups as a snack, etc (instead of practicing a healthier low carb diet). My father, who seemed to have clear skin at the times I've always seen him...now doesn't. The last few times I have visited my house he had red spots showing up around his nose/cheek area. I also know of others who's skin has not progressed at all, but has gotten worse since going on a low carb diet. When low carb diets started...many people did take the initiative to cut out refined sugars and eat better..thus improving their skin. But, have you noticed all of the "low carb" bagels, breads, candies etc. making their way out onto the market these days? I think these may interfere with anyone who is achieving better skin through low carbing...because it isn't really all about "low carbing". Did that make any sense? lol....

JMHO

Take care!

Old 03-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

right it's about nutrition, not "carbs".

Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #15
(male)

CursedSkin HB User

boy i'll be glad when this low carb fad diet dies off i m tired of it already...they even got low carb beer..whats up with that?

Last edited by CursedSkin; 03-10-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread