It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #1

njqt HB User
Smile This works for me.

I've tried everything.
Tetracycline
Minocin
Retin A
Benzoyl Peroxide
No dairy.
No iodine.
No breads.
Alkaline diet.
Perricone prescription.
Egg yolks.
B5
Essential Fatty Acids
You name it, i've tried it and it didn't work.
The antibiotics worked for awhile, but then stopped working.
I have very very bad acne with cysts and extremely oily skin.
Started at 13 and now I'm 33.
Somewhere I read an article about Inositol.
In my everlasting search for a cure I tried it.
650 mg capsules. 3 in the morning and 3 at night.
Within a week I started noticing improvement.
It has now been about 3 or 4 weeks and for the first time in a VERY long time I am totally clear. It's a drastic improvement.
It's relatively cheap too. 300 capsules are only $20 from the Vitamin Shoppe.
Of course, I also stay away from high amounts of complex carbs - i limit (don't eliminate) sweets, pastries, breads, etc and try to keep my blood sugar levels stable.
I am so happy with my new discovery that I just wanted to share it with you.
If anyone else tries it and has any luck with it, let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
Re: This works for me.

What is Inositol?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #3

njqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyFace
What is Inositol?
Inositol promotes healthy cell growth.

Here is some information:

Inositol, also part of the B vitamin complex, is closely associated with choline. Like choline, inositol (as phosphatidylinositol) is also found in lecithin, though in lesser amounts than choline, and acts as a lipotropic agent (milder than choline) in the body, helping to emulsify fats. The body can produce its own inositol from glucose, so it is not really essential. We have high stores of inositol; its concentration in the body is second highest of the B vitamins, surpassed only by niacin.

Uses: Although inositol has been used to treat and prevent progression of athero-sclerosis throughout the body and to help reduce cholesterol, there is no good evidence from human studies that inositol lowers cholesterol and protects against cardiovascular disease. As a mild lipotropic agent, though, it is commonly used by overweight people to help with weight loss, and it may help in redistributing body fat. Exercise helps, too, of course.

Inositol helps promote healthy hair and skin. It has been used to treat eczema, and it may help the hair, especially if there is an inositol deficiency. For sleep, 500 mg. of inositol before bed has a mild antianxiety effect (placebo?) as well as possibly helping to utilize fat and cholesterol during sleep.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #4

joshsd54321 HB User

How exactly would inositol help treat acne? What effects on the body does it have to get rid of acne? Thanks

Old 03-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #5

njqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsd54321
How exactly would inositol help treat acne? What effects on the body does it have to get rid of acne? Thanks
I honestly don't know how or why it works. I just know that for me, I have seen constant improvement over the past few weeks that I have been taking it. I'm starting to feel like a new person without having to deal with constant breakouts.

I am not a doctor and can make no definitive statements. But as we all know, doctors have no idea how to cure acne, they only know how to treat the symptoms, which doesn't always work for everybody. Acne is the most common skin disease affecting an estimated 45 million people in the United States, however the actual cause of acne is still unknown! Billions of dollars are spent every year on acne medications so pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies can get rich. (Think of how much $$ Dr Perricone alone must be making on his book and products, talk about expensive...) How much money is being spent on research to cure this potentially disfiguring disease? Why are we left on our own to conduct our own trials and studies to find our cure? Why is there not a national research center set up to find a cure to a disease that affects 15% of the US population?! Is it because nobody is dying from the disease that it is not being taken seriously?

From what I can figure out....

Here is a standard definition of acne: "the sebaceous glands make an oily substance called sebum which reaches the skin surface by emptying through the skin surface opening of the follicle. The hair follicle opening is sometimes called the pore. The oil (sebum) causes the cells from the follicular lining to shed more rapidly and stick together, forming a plug at the hair follicle opening. Bacteria grow in the mixture of oil and cells in the follicle. These bacteria make chemicals that stimulate inflammation and cause the wall of the follicle to break. The sebum, bacteria, and shed skin cells spill into the skin causing redness, swelling, and pus - a pimple."

Because Inositol supports healthy cell growth, the cells are not shedding more rapidly and sticking together, they are not forming the plugs which form the acne lesions.

Inositol has also been known to treat stress and anxiety. From articles that I have read, it has been given to people to ward off depression and anxiety attacks. Stress and anxiety all lead to elevated levels of cortisol in the body which produces inflammatory effects. So the Inositol may also be decreasing cortisol levels and hence, inflammation.

There is also a widely held belief that all skin diseases stem from the same internal imbalances and that the imbalances just manifest themselves in different ways in different people. So what may cause acne in one person may cause rosacea, eczema or psoriasis in another. Since Inositol has been used to effectively treat cases of eczema, normalizing the skin, it may also have the same effect on acne patients and normalize their skin.

Caffeine, stress, antibiotic use, among other things, have all been shown to deplete inositol levels in the human body. We may be deficient in this chemical and not even know it.

I remain eternally hopeful and optimistic that someday, someone of us will find the cure and boards like this will no longer have to exist.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #6

blank HB User

just remembering reading this label the other day....
everyone should look at Brewer's Yeast.

i was skeptical about it...but i have it now (it's only been a few days), and i'm growing more confident each day.

it has everything in it.
Inositol
Choline
Chromium
RNA/DNA
Proteins
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Niacin
Calcium
Iron
Zinc
Biotin
Vitamin E
Vitamin B5
Vitamin B12
tons of amino acids (i'd list them...but there's too many)

pretty much everything that everyone here on this board recommends...
all in 1 serving.

it tastes like ****, but it seems to be pretty good for acne.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #7
(female)

erica1213 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank
just remembering reading this label the other day....
everyone should look at Brewer's Yeast.

i was skeptical about it...but i have it now (it's only been a few days), and i'm growing more confident each day.

it has everything in it.
Inositol
Choline
Chromium
RNA/DNA
Proteins
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Niacin
Calcium
Iron
Zinc
Biotin
Vitamin E
Vitamin B5
Vitamin B12
tons of amino acids (i'd list them...but there's too many)

pretty much everything that everyone here on this board recommends...
all in 1 serving.

it tastes like ****, but it seems to be pretty good for acne.

Please keep us updated on how this works!

Old 03-15-2004, 07:21 AM   #8

zitzapper HB User

Where can you get Brewer's yeast and does it come in pill form? I'd love to take a supplement with those ingredients. Could I get it at GNC?

Old 03-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #9

indy gal HB User

I too was going to ask which brand of Brewers yeast has all those other vitamins included, and where did you purchase it?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #10

DrDooM HB User

sounds like a money making advert to me

Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #11

blank HB User

I got the Brewer's Yeast from my local vitamin shop/health food store. The brand is Lewis Labs...but i think they're all generally the same stuff.

It's in powder form, i got 16oz for ~$10 (probably could have paid less online)
i take 2-3 tablespoons per day...dissolved in water.

There's capsule forms available also...but #1, they didn't have them at the store, and #2, 2-3 tablespoons of powder is equal to a lot of pills.

It's not an advertisement for an acne miracle or anything. I heard about it from my dad who used it 30+ years ago, and he said it helped him...so i figured i'd give it a try. Because acne is hereditary, i'd think that what cured him would be the same or close to what will cure me.

The only ingredient is Brewer's Yeast
Brewer’s yeast is the dried, pulverized cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a type of fungus, and is a rich source of B-complex vitamins, protein (providing all essential amino acids), and minerals, including a biologically active form of chromium known as glucose tolerance factor (GTF).
it's a bi-product of beer brewing...
and it's mainly used to treat high cholersterol, and diabetes.

what i like about it is the chromium (190mcg/serving)...it's supposed to be very helpful in maintaining blood sugar levels. and if you know anything about nutrition and acne, then you know that sugar is the main cause for some people. (btw, don't go chugging a bottle of chromium after you hear this. from what i read, it can be really bad and toxic for the kidney's and liver if you start taking over 1000mcg per day)

Like i said before, all the people on here who are going with the nutritional/vitamin route, instead of the accutane, medical route should really give this a whirl. It's got so many good minerals and vitamins in it, lots of protein....it really amazes me.

I'm sure if you have a blender and some apples and carrots, cucumbers...etc, you could make a mix of it so it tastes half decent.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #12

Eve44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by njqt
I've tried everything.
Tetracycline
Minocin
Retin A
Benzoyl Peroxide
No dairy.
No iodine.
No breads.
Alkaline diet.
Perricone prescription.
Egg yolks.
B5
Essential Fatty Acids
You name it, i've tried it and it didn't work.
The antibiotics worked for awhile, but then stopped working.
I have very very bad acne with cysts and extremely oily skin.
Started at 13 and now I'm 33.
Somewhere I read an article about Inositol.
In my everlasting search for a cure I tried it.
650 mg capsules. 3 in the morning and 3 at night.
Within a week I started noticing improvement.
It has now been about 3 or 4 weeks and for the first time in a VERY long time I am totally clear. It's a drastic improvement.
It's relatively cheap too. 300 capsules are only $20 from the Vitamin Shoppe.
Of course, I also stay away from high amounts of complex carbs - i limit (don't eliminate) sweets, pastries, breads, etc and try to keep my blood sugar levels stable.
I am so happy with my new discovery that I just wanted to share it with you.
If anyone else tries it and has any luck with it, let me know.
njqt - How much Inositol were you taking a day? And did you experience any side effects while using it?

Old 03-15-2004, 07:35 PM   #13

blank HB User

i don't think there's any side effects....

large amounts of phytate, the common dietary form of inositol, reduce the absorption of calcium, iron, and zinc. however, supplemental inositol does not have this effect.

that's about it.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #14

njqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve44
njqt - How much Inositol were you taking a day? And did you experience any side effects while using it?
i'm taking 3 650mg capsules in the morning and 3 at night.
i'm seeing improvements every day.
now that my skin has cleared, the left over red marks are also diminishing.
from what i've read, there are no toxicity levels or side effects.
it has been give to people in doses as large as 12 grams a day.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #15

zitzapper HB User

i noticed one of you guys mentioned brewers yeast so i went and bought some but it didn't have the ingredients you guys mentioned. I got it from gnc in the pill form. It taste like crap and you need to take a ton of pills. It is relatively cheap though. I'm gonna give it a try. Anyone else ever use it?

Closed Thread