It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #1

palantheus HB User
how long until spironolactone works?

I started taking 150 mgs of spironolactone two weeks ago. How long until this stuff works? Will it work at least a little at first or do all the results happen all at once?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #2

zitzapper HB User
Re: how long until spironolactone works?

I'm trying to get spiro prescribed right now too. Nothing else has worked, this is my last step before accutane. I was curious about the same thing, that and the side effects. I'm a 19 year old male. I know a lot of females take it. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

it took me about 2 to 3 weeks and my oily skin turned perfect after 27 years of putting up with this crap!if you notice a decrease interest in sex then its working.IT WILL WORK........but remember if your under 20 it might keep you boyish looking cause it tends to stop bone development.if you look like a guy now spiro wont reverse that but if your still looking girl like..or boyish spiro will tend to keep you that way.its an anti-androgen meaning going against male.it suppresses testosterone.the clearer your face gets the more chance you have of being steril for life.take it everyday and dont miss any days.it wont turn you into a girl but it might keep you looking boyish like.you should start with 50mgs a day and while it wont clear your skin you will be able to control it with the help of topicals.you will lose interest in sex...your skin will start producing less oil and your face will start clearing.remember spiro for guys should be a last resort even after accutane.if i was a derm i would make you go to a psyciatrist first before i prescribed it to you so i knew how bad acne is affecting you mentally.i tried everything 2 times over except maybe the smoothbeam laser.if nothing else works and this is really doing major damage to you mentally then i would go with it.if you read my posts in the past you know i took acne pretty hard.i still blame it for ruining my life.even being a transexual would have been better than putting up with this crap for 27 years.least i could have been a lesbian.if you take 200 mgs of spiro and 5 mgs of premerin and your under 20 then you will start to develope female but not with just say 50mgs of spiro.the best years of my life i spent being obsessed with acne and acne scarring while everyone else was having fun...like i was thinking is this ****** ever gonna ends.i felt like i was cursed.life goes too fast to be bothered by this so as long as you know the pros and cons of spiro and you feel you still want to take it then go for it.on the plus side your hair will be real nice and you wont perspire as much and you will be a lot calmer.i also get blood tests takin every 3 months to.if i known what i know now i would have takin spiro before my face ever started breaking out but thats just me.their are new treatment for acne coming out so unless acne is causing so major mental problems or risk scarring your face because you have severe acne or ya wanna change sex......that is the only cure for a guy with acne....i wouldnt advise you to take it.you could go on a strict low carb diet.....25 to 50 mgs of spiro and a good topical.my derm has some guys on 25 mgs of spiro a day.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

i would try accutane first....it didnt work for me....but it might for you.like i say spiro could make you steril for life.guys do take it for prostate cancer.accutane has more possible side effects but spiro has the steril thing.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzapper
I'm trying to get spiro prescribed right now too. Nothing else has worked, this is my last step before accutane. I was curious about the same thing, that and the side effects. I'm a 19 year old male. I know a lot of females take it. Any advice is appreciated.
Spironolactone has caused tumors in laboratory animals. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of using this medicine for your condition.

Closed Thread