It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User
Does tanning really cure acne?

I was in accutane and it worked a little for me.Left with dry,flaky skin.Anyway
i never knew Indoor tanning can help acne?I go tan and i saw the facts about tanning and how the UV-rays exposure can help acne.I went tanning today,i get a great base tan in 10minutes but i never tanned my face,but i tried it today.I did put a lotion on so it can open up my pores and enable the UVA & UVB to reach the melanin faster.Anyway i felt hot and afterwards i wanted to just hide and go home.My skin was red,somewhere brown,white spots.And my dark under eye circles looked darker.I don't know.I just want a healthy looking tan?I'm tired of these breakouts,it is ruining our faces,skin...

any advice....

P.S.i never tan my face again,

Old 03-25-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: Does tanning really cure acne?

Just see how your face is tomorrow. Don't worry how you look for just a day or two, think of the long run. I am a guy, and thinking about getting a tan at a tanning place. Don't know if guys go to places like that or not, so im hesitant. My chick friend went for a while, and she looked like orange for a week or so, but now after that she looks really nice.

Don't let it bother you the day after or two days, it should work out nicely. Can I ask how much you are paying? Did you have to sign up for a monthly type thing? Id say don't let this first time turn you away from tanning yourself or your face. If you notice a bad color or reaction on your face tomorrow, then id say try it at least one more time before you quit it overall. You'd think 2 days is a long time to looks bad (when u have bad breakouts or your case excessive redness and reactions) but those two days will go by fast i promise. Id say one more time before you make a decision.

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 12:08 AM   #3

gettingclear7 HB User

Yeah ive tanned for almost 3 years straight, and dont worry you look worse after tanning then after you get out of the shower,,, its just your skin reaction, but a few hours later it should look better,, as the redness hides your zits

Old 03-26-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User

Hi there,
thank you for the reply.I live in Arlington,Va and there are a lot of different tanning salons.You just have to find the right one for yourself,where you feel comfortable and they answer all the questions you might have.I go to a place called Palm Beach tan.

They have great offers like for new members you get one month free tanning and you get the Ergoline classic gold 450.I use a different bed with the facial tanner and more power.I paid $39.95 for the whole month.Make sure when you go to the salon,they give you a tour,tell you about the beds,your skintype,and most important buy a lotion,you get maybe 25% off the first purchase.Your skin will not tan for the first 3-4 minutes without lotion.That's how long it takes for the UVA and UVB to reach the melanin.Find out in your city about tanning salons,get a recommendation,look around for deals.Let me know if you need anymore help.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-27-2004 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 03-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #5

honeybearkitty HB User

While tanning may be somewhat beneficial for acne, it is terrible for your skin in the long run. If you want to get wrinkles and have to get a facelift when you're 40, then go ahead.
A little sun can be good for acne, as it makes your body produce vitamin D. UV rays from sunlight trigger vitamin D synthesis in the skin.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Thanks Jenna, ill be sure to do that when i decide to go. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:17 AM   #7

triggert HB User

I'm a guy and didn't have any problems going to a tanning bed. There were quite a few other guys that I noticed who also went so its no big deal. But I don't think the tanning bed helped my acne. It did hide it some through the summer but during the fall and winter it came back with vengence. My face is finally starting to clear again so I don't plan on going to the tb this year. I might try and just get a little natural sun here and there to keep from getting burnt when I go outside for long periods of time.

Trigg

Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GirlHarley HB User

Hi there...I'm 42 year old mom who tans one month out of the year before summer time comes...I am not here to debate with any negative responses regarding how bad tanning beds are in the FUTURE with wringles and cancer.
Being 42 I am very well aware and it's my business. (as you can see I was attacked by some angry females on another thread/post because I gave my 2cents worth regarding tanning beds)

I am only here to reply to the POST regarding the question.....

Tanning is not a cure for Acne. Does it help your Acne...Tanning Salons say it does but what it's doing is tanning your face to cover your acne and give you the glow your looking for and making you feel good while "trying" to cure or prevent future breakouts with whatever products you are using...

My 15 yr old SON has Acne if you have seen any of my posts or reponses regarding his acne, his face is starting to clear up.....

I DID sign my son up for 5 sessions of Tanning, to make him FEEL BETTER, Look Better while attacking the inside and outside of his acne on his face.
Since he is a BOY...wearing MAKEUP is not an option for him...He enjoyed the tanning sessions, felt good about himself and wasn't as upset about his breakouts while he tanned...He STILL has acne but because of his cleasing routine, PATIENCE, he is SEEING the REsults of his face clearing up...

SO if you want to Tan do so.... at your own risk of future wrinkles or possible cancer risks...I am 42 years old like I mentioned. I am told I look much younger, I love to tan, there are alot of people on this board who will tell you DON'T Tan and list all the negative issues..That's fine but, I'm not here looking for a response for my choice or any feedback on my post.

I just wanted to give you my thoughts on tanning and I did allow my son to tan to help him...but it was to FEEL GOOD not a cure to his acne...Which we are also working on and it's working...

Hope this helps!

Old 03-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearkitty
While tanning may be somewhat beneficial for acne, it is terrible for your skin in the long run. If you want to get wrinkles and have to get a facelift when you're 40, then go ahead.
A little sun can be good for acne, as it makes your body produce vitamin D. UV rays from sunlight trigger vitamin D synthesis in the skin.
This is very true. And by a little sun, it means 10 minutes max of UV rays...that's all you need to make your body produce vitamin D! I think most of us are outside for at least 10 minutes most days and it only takes a tiny patch of skin to absorb those rays to trigger Vitamin D synthesis.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #10

cured for now HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearkitty
Going tanning a few times to get rid of temporary acne or help fade scars will do no damage to your skin whatsoever. I don't think we're talking about doing this for the next 15 years.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
Veteran

JLKH HB User

As some others have said tanning is not a cure for acne. It might be a temporary fix but it's not a cure. Plus it is detrimental to your skin even if you only do it once in awhile.

If you want to be tan I suggest the professional spray on ones. If you want to have clear skin then talk to your dermitologist about your options.

Just my 2cents.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #12

starwarzgangsta HB User

For a while it will look really bad. But it hides the pimp les. So have fun and knock your self out. not literally.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #13
(female)

merchic HB User

I love using the tanning salon for a couple of months out of the year. I believe tanning like everything else is good for you in moderation. Its actually healthy to build a slight basetan before the start of the hot sunny weather, so when you do go outside, your skin does not get a sunburn. As far as acne is concerned, this is what I've read (textbooks and such - I'm a 3rd year university bio major). Tanning dries the top layer of the skin, so it does have a slight beneficial effect at controlling oil production initially. However, in the long term, it can actually clog the pores because of the "thickening" effect that it has on the skin because of the increase in the dead skin layer. Make sure if you do tan your face, don't forget to exfoliate often. Finally, it obviously can help conceal the red and dark acne marks, which is definitely a good thing. So, there's positives and negatives as with everything else.
PS. I did not discuss skin cancer + premature aging etc. cause it all has been mentioned before.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Ultraviolet-B (UVB) rays are the component of sunlight that cause sunburn, while ultraviolet-A (UVA) rays, which produce a tan, are thought to be relatively safe. Now, however, Australian and US researchers report that UVA induces a greater number of mutations in the deep layer of skin, where skin cancers arise, than does UVB light.

Read that off yahoo news...what kind of uv do salons use?

Closed Thread