It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Exclamation Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Someone made a suggestion to me the other day that perhaps some types of hormonal acne is caused by thyroid problems...

We have been noticing a correlation among people, men and women, we know with a hyperthyroid and severe cystic-type acne, whether it's on the face, back, or anywhere else on the body for that matter.

One guy my friend knows who had this, right after he began getting treated for his thyroid problem, he cleared up. He had cysts really bad, all over his body.

My friend is somewhat knowledgable in how this sort of thing, and she was telling me that when the thyroid is not functioning properly, it can throw many functions of your body out of whack, even your hormones, which then causes acne.

It can make women's periods irregular, make people's hair dry, nails brittle, and it eventually will make your eyes bulge if it's not taken care of. Some people begin developing mental problems as well if it goes untreated. It can also be life threatening if left untreated. My mother almost died from it in her 40's and she now suffers severe mental problems for waiting so long to treat it. She had cystic acne on her back onl, dry hair and exhibited signs of schizophrenia. My friend's grandmother died from this because she never had it treated, though I am unsure what her symptoms were.

Furthermore, symptoms of hyperthyroidism can include having a super fast metabolism.

Since my mother had it and I too am a woman, there is approx. an 80 percent chance I will develop it. I heard it begins developing in your early 20's (which fitting enough, so did my acne, but on my face and not my back). I exhibit the symptoms and know it's because of hormones because my breakouts have always been a week before my period. I am taking Spironolactone, which is helping greatly to control the hormones, but I think the root of the problem is my thyroid.

I would suggest that people who think that they could be at risk of this go talk to a doctor immediately and get their blood tested for this. I have had a test for it but am getting another one soon. There are meds that can be given to help treat it which will also help with all the other problems it can cause (i.e. hormonal problems).

If anyone else wants to share their ideas, thoughts or experiences with this subject, please post. I would love any information you could give Thanks.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to member86 For This Useful Post:
tjmcelwee (04-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-27-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 426
Neca HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Member86, this is definitely a good point. Acne can indirectly be related to Thyrotoxicosis/Hyperthyroidism and you should get the following blood tests to check: T4, T3, TSH and antibodies tests.

There is also a neck-test which you can do which examines your thyroid externally. It says that you have to tilt your head back slightly while standing infront of a mirror, drink a bit of water and look at the area under your Adam's apple (if you have one) and above your collarbone. As you swallow the water this area will move up and down, if you see a lump you should go see your doctor.

The direct symptoms of hyperthyroidism is:

Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze

Hope this helps...

 
Old 03-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 849
SweetJade1 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Member86,
Yeah I'm glad you brought this up as well. What's interesting is that hyperthyroidism has been associated with Insulin Resistance (IR). Now IR can increase your ability to grow, which is why teenagers go through this during puberty.

The problem is that for some of us, it never stops. The growth hormones (IGF-1, IGFBP-1 mainly) keep pumping and this can cause cell proliferation (tumors or cancer), skin cell proliferation (thicker skin), rapid body growth (acromegaly or gigantism).

It does a great many things but if you noticed, I mentioned cell growth. Well in order for some to grow or become enlarged it needs to be stimulated, as in the case of Hyperthyrodism. Your thyroid is being overstimulated and as such it must grow in order to meet the demands of producing more thyroid hormone due to being stimulated to do so.

Now someone around here is a post on Fluoride, but anyway Flouride can contribute to both Hypothyrodism and Hyperthyroidsm by acting as an thyroid hormone mimicker. I won't even pretend to understand the complexities between the two, for they both can be due to a loss of iodine or too much iodine along with variance in growth hormones, but I do know it's been connected to Insulin Resistance. Since our diets play a HUGE role in developing Insulin Resistance, you should be able to control/balance this naturally.

If you take medication, but never change your diet, all you are doing is fighting or opposing what the medication is trying to improve (because the problem is still there). However, if you think about it, you can reduce the problem overall through a proper diet because you aren't producing TONS of growth factors anymore. Then if you must, use Supplements or medicaton to complement your diet and not the other way around. Therefore, if you want to help your body naturally, so that you aren't taking (as much) thyroid medicine (which can backfire), you may want to read over the diet posts on this forum.

FYI:
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=10671946&dopt=Abstract[/url]
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=12634438[/url]
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=9039334[/url]
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=11762714[/url]
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=11085184[/url]

Best of luck =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 03-27-2004 at 11:02 PM.

 
Old 03-28-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kongsvinger, Norway
Posts: 12
emma81 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

well, I think you are on to something. But when you have acne you always try to find the reason, and you read and read, and you come across many things that can be the cause of your acne. I know how it is. But; I don't think that thyreoid can be the cause of severe acne. maybe in some few cases. But I have had thyreoid problems since I was 17 and know many people with it and no one of them have severe acne problems. Maybe it can conribute to it. But the hormones that aggrevate acne is androgen hormones. I had at first hyperthyreoism and I had no acne. I then got hypothyreodism, and I had no acne. I then operated and they removed the whole thyreoid. So I'm on thyroxin and I haven't had any acne before 3 years after that. And I believe that the acne I've got now is because of to much testosteron. (I took some anti-depr, that probably caused hormonal imbalance) I've started using diane, and I think my acne is starting to disappear.
I just wanted you to not get hung up in something that just MIGHT be contributing to acne (giving you mild acne), but probably not. Very few people I know with thyreoid problems have acne. And it is more reasonable to get it if you have hypothyerodism than hyperth. Because everything in your body stops working. I think the skin problems that are the most common in relation to thyreoidproblems, are; dry skin/thicker skin/rashes.
And as for the last post; don't take medications, but go on a diet?? People with thyreoid problems have to take medicines! and thyroxin is actually the same thing you produce in your body. So it's like taking a vitamin that you lack. It's just the same "ingredients". Of course if you have insulin resistence you should be more aware of your diet (and maybe try to avoid medicines). But not if you have thyreoid problems. Food can not in any way correct that.

And the test you wrote about; many with thyreoidproblems haven't got problems that shows and the thyreoid don't need to be "enlarged" for you to have a problem. Such tests can get everyone to believe that they have thyreoidproblems. you should instead take a blood test.
sorry for bad english, I'm from norway.

Emma

 
Old 03-28-2004, 02:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma81
well, I think you are on to something. But when you have acne you always try to find the reason, and you read and read, and you come across many things that can be the cause of your acne. I know how it is. But; I don't think that thyreoid can be the cause of severe acne. maybe in some few cases. But I have had thyreoid problems since I was 17 and know many people with it and no one of them have severe acne problems. Maybe it can conribute to it. But the hormones that aggrevate acne is androgen hormones. I had at first hyperthyreoism and I had no acne. I then got hypothyreodism, and I had no acne. I then operated and they removed the whole thyreoid. So I'm on thyroxin and I haven't had any acne before 3 years after that. And I believe that the acne I've got now is because of to much testosteron. (I took some anti-depr, that probably caused hormonal imbalance) I've started using diane, and I think my acne is starting to disappear.
I just wanted you to not get hung up in something that just MIGHT be contributing to acne (giving you mild acne), but probably not. Very few people I know with thyreoid problems have acne. And it is more reasonable to get it if you have hypothyerodism than hyperth. Because everything in your body stops working. I think the skin problems that are the most common in relation to thyreoidproblems, are; dry skin/thicker skin/rashes.
And as for the last post; don't take medications, but go on a diet?? People with thyreoid problems have to take medicines! and thyroxin is actually the same thing you produce in your body. So it's like taking a vitamin that you lack. It's just the same "ingredients". Of course if you have insulin resistence you should be more aware of your diet (and maybe try to avoid medicines). But not if you have thyreoid problems. Food can not in any way correct that.

And the test you wrote about; many with thyreoidproblems haven't got problems that shows and the thyreoid don't need to be "enlarged" for you to have a problem. Such tests can get everyone to believe that they have thyreoidproblems. you should instead take a blood test.
sorry for bad english, I'm from norway.

Emma
This is a good thing for me to know. You see, the people I know with hyperthyroidism happen to also have bad acne, so I thought that might be the problem. The thing is that a dysfunctional thyroid can screw with your hormones, thereby causing acne in some individuals. For some people, it might not for various reasons. Perhaps they are not as sensitive to androgens as others are? But what makes someone sensitive to androgens and other people not? Or is it just that we are producing too much testosterone? Some people's blood tests come out normal and they continue to break out in terrible cystic acne nonetheless. All of this is a mystery to me and I wish I knew the solution.

I really wish I could find more information on this subject and I wish more studies were done to get to the root of this problem. I have been taking spironaloctone and saw palmetto for 3 weeks and it has been working wonders so far. But I was just wondering if the thyroid was what indeed was causing my hormones to go out of whack. You see, I never experienced these problems when I was going through puberty (when my hormones were really going crazy), so you would think that my skin would be pretty tolerant to these androgens. Though I have no idea what is causing this for the past 5 years of my life.

I really appreciate all of you sharing your ideas and experiences in this forum and I am learning quite a bit here since I've joined. Hopefully one day, those of us who have been suffering for years can come up with our individual solutions to this problem.

 
Old 03-28-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kongsvinger, Norway
Posts: 12
emma81 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

hi. I also did not have any acne all through my teens. I didn't know what acne was! but 2 years ago I for some reason (making my skin even more beautiful!) did some glycolic acid peels. This ruined my skin and aggrevated it so I suddenly developed acne at the age of 21. I stopped using the ahas and got tetracyklin and everything went away. I was acne free for a year. then I ate anti-depr. because I lost my mum (another story) and before christmas I statred getting acne again, mainly on my jawline. this time the antibiotics didn't seem to work. So my phsyciatrist told me that the anti-depr. could give some hormonal imbalance and therefor acne (she could have said this before!?). So I started with Diane. I also took bloodtests, but I didn't have much testosteron. But I don't think that there are many people it actually shows in a bloodtest. It's more like you say -suddenly we get more sensitive to androgens. I hope this Diane will help, I have seen some improvement. But this week I hade my period, and I think just a few days without the pill has given me some zits. I have mainly acne on my jawline/chin -I wonder if this is an indication of the acne being from androgens. ? (I have no acne elsewhere)

So for me I guess the acne has always had a reason -a medication or something that has started it. But I don't know for sure. I have also read that it is actually very common that girls don't have acne in their teens, but develop it later (in their twenties). I think it's hormones. I hope the diane will help. I've read about spironolactone (or what it's called!), it seems like it is common in US. But I haven't heard of anyone taking it here in Norway. Do you have to get it from your doctor? I only read that it's used for men with prostataproblems or something. and what is saw palmetto, is it a herb? Do you also take bcp?
I forgot to say that if you have hyperthyr. you of course don't take thyroxin-medications, but for example neo-mercazole. But if you have hyperth. and are medicated it is very common that you eventually develop hypoth. (This happened to me), so you have to stop the neo-mercazole and start thyroxin-treatment.
You could take a bloodtest and be sure to get the result (not just the doctor telling you that it's ok). The reason why many people suffer from thyreoidproblems without getting treatment, is because:
the test who measures FT4 are normal if it's between 10-25 (different from hospitals) Often people have FT4 on 10/11 or 24 and the doctor says that "this is fine, it's in the range of what is normal". BUT, this is so individual. Some people can feel really sick if their FT4 is on15 because it's too low for them. I personally have a FT4 who is over 25, but this is what I like.
Maybe a little difficult to understand this, but..well...just tried to explain.

 
Old 03-28-2004, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma81
hi. I also did not have any acne all through my teens. I didn't know what acne was! but 2 years ago I for some reason (making my skin even more beautiful!) did some glycolic acid peels. This ruined my skin and aggrevated it so I suddenly developed acne at the age of 21. I stopped using the ahas and got tetracyklin and everything went away. I was acne free for a year. then I ate anti-depr. because I lost my mum (another story) and before christmas I statred getting acne again, mainly on my jawline. this time the antibiotics didn't seem to work. So my phsyciatrist told me that the anti-depr. could give some hormonal imbalance and therefor acne (she could have said this before!?). So I started with Diane. I also took bloodtests, but I didn't have much testosteron. But I don't think that there are many people it actually shows in a bloodtest. It's more like you say -suddenly we get more sensitive to androgens. I hope this Diane will help, I have seen some improvement. But this week I hade my period, and I think just a few days without the pill has given me some zits. I have mainly acne on my jawline/chin -I wonder if this is an indication of the acne being from androgens. ? (I have no acne elsewhere)

So for me I guess the acne has always had a reason -a medication or something that has started it. But I don't know for sure. I have also read that it is actually very common that girls don't have acne in their teens, but develop it later (in their twenties). I think it's hormones. I hope the diane will help. I've read about spironolactone (or what it's called!), it seems like it is common in US. But I haven't heard of anyone taking it here in Norway. Do you have to get it from your doctor? I only read that it's used for men with prostataproblems or something. and what is saw palmetto, is it a herb? Do you also take bcp?
I forgot to say that if you have hyperthyr. you of course don't take thyroxin-medications, but for example neo-mercazole. But if you have hyperth. and are medicated it is very common that you eventually develop hypoth. (This happened to me), so you have to stop the neo-mercazole and start thyroxin-treatment.
You could take a bloodtest and be sure to get the result (not just the doctor telling you that it's ok). The reason why many people suffer from thyreoidproblems without getting treatment, is because:
the test who measures FT4 are normal if it's between 10-25 (different from hospitals) Often people have FT4 on 10/11 or 24 and the doctor says that "this is fine, it's in the range of what is normal". BUT, this is so individual. Some people can feel really sick if their FT4 is on15 because it's too low for them. I personally have a FT4 who is over 25, but this is what I like.
Maybe a little difficult to understand this, but..well...just tried to explain.
Thanks for the info Emma. I am going to schedule to get some blood work done soon because if I do have a thyroid problem, I want to get it taken care of right away instead of doing what my mom did (waiting too long 'til it did some real bad damage).

The spironolactone has been the only thing thus far that has worked for me, in fact the results have been very dramatic in such a short period of time. I'm quite amazed with the results and I only pray that it lasts. I got it prescribed from my dermatologist. The funny thing is, I had been going to various derms for years and none of them told me about it- just gave me retin-a and antibiotics and birth control. But this derm examined my face AND my body (none of my derms had done this before). She seemed to have really cared about my health too as opposed to my other dermatologists. She told me the cause of my acne was probably hormonal and she wanted to put me on spiro. She also gave me a chemical peel and put me on retin-a to help speed up the exfoliation process. She wanted to give me bcps but I didn't want to because I have had some problems with them in the past (nausea, depression, etc.). Plus, I am not sexually active and don't plan to be for a while so there is no worry about getting pregnant.

Saw palmetto is an herbal supplement I began taking around the same time. I bought it because I read various places that it is also an androgen regulator and works kind of similar to spiro. I take both, just in case one doesn't work as well as the other.

Last edited by member86; 03-28-2004 at 12:55 PM.

 
Old 03-29-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kongsvinger, Norway
Posts: 12
emma81 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

I don't think my derm has heard of spironolactone, I don't know, I could ask. Is it a serious medication with any adverse reactions? Maybe I can try Saw Palmetto in addition to Diane. It can't do any harm can it?
Yes, take a blood test, if something is wrong it's best to find out as soon as possible. I think I had hyperthyreodism over 6 months before I understood what it was. And in that time I lost my period, lost weight, and my eyes was large! I have been lucky and haven't got any long lasting damage from the time I was ill.
Good luck

 
Old 03-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 47
pdb123 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

I'm a 31 year old male who has suffered with white heads and cysts for about 10 years now. I went through all kinds of antibiotics and prescription creams, until about a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism. It all made sense because I had many of the symptoms, such as fatigue, depression, dry skin, dry hair, etc. Anyway, once I started treatment with thyroid meds, most of my cystic acne disappeared. It didn't do much for my whiteheads, though. But I have since discovered glycolic acid which seems to keep the whiteheads under control. Anyway, this leads me to believe that cystic acne is more of a hormonal condition while whiteheads are more of a skin surface problem. Whenever the dose of my thyroid med is changed, my hormones get out of whack and I usually get a few cysts on my face. But after a few weeks my body adjusts and everything settles down.

 
Old 04-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Good to know. Yes, I will definitely get a blood test to keep an eye on my thyroid. I was talking to my mom and found out that she has Graves disease and that is the reason why her thyroid went out of whack. Again, many different factors can cause acne, but I think all and all it has to do with an imbalance of hormones in the body. With some people, the imbalance may be due to diet. Others, it could be the thyroid. Either way, hormones is the key word here.

 
Old 04-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 130
Legend#14 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Member86, this is definitely a good point. Acne can indirectly be related to Thyrotoxicosis/Hyperthyroidism and you should get the following blood tests to check: T4, T3, TSH and antibodies tests.

There is also a neck-test which you can do which examines your thyroid externally. It says that you have to tilt your head back slightly while standing infront of a mirror, drink a bit of water and look at the area under your Adam's apple (if you have one) and above your collarbone. As you swallow the water this area will move up and down, if you see a lump you should go see your doctor.

The direct symptoms of hyperthyroidism is:

Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze

Hope this helps...
I took that test in front of the mirror and I do have a lump, what does this mean, i'm a bit weary now

Also I suffer from Palpitations, Fast Heart Rate, Nervousness, but I thought they come because I abused Extacy for a while

What should I do, i'm only a 17 yr old male

 
Old 04-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 25
Eve44 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Funny..I was just reading up on this a couple days ago. I do think that Hyperthyroid plays a big part in our acne. The doctor I was reading up on is Dr.Mercola, and it has a tremendous amount of interesting info on the sites about how you can treat your own Thyroid and keep it healthy and clean. It also says the key to beautiful skin is clean Liver (which I knew), Kidneys, Adrenals, Thyroid, Large Intestines and Small intestines. Also has different kinds of products you can order over the site to treat these organs..aswell as some foods and drinks that are highly recommended. I printed out so many pages of info because I'm definately going to try it, I truely believe it will work. I'm assuming that if you want to do a seach for yourself and read some of the facts, try typing Dr.Mercola or just "Mercola" into the seach engine. They also talk about a drink called Kefir..which I've read all about and I'm dying to order it. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the answer!

 
Old 05-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve44
Funny..I was just reading up on this a couple days ago. I do think that Hyperthyroid plays a big part in our acne. The doctor I was reading up on is Dr.Mercola, and it has a tremendous amount of interesting info on the sites about how you can treat your own Thyroid and keep it healthy and clean. It also says the key to beautiful skin is clean Liver (which I knew), Kidneys, Adrenals, Thyroid, Large Intestines and Small intestines. Also has different kinds of products you can order over the site to treat these organs..aswell as some foods and drinks that are highly recommended. I printed out so many pages of info because I'm definately going to try it, I truely believe it will work. I'm assuming that if you want to do a seach for yourself and read some of the facts, try typing Dr.Mercola or just "Mercola" into the seach engine. They also talk about a drink called Kefir..which I've read all about and I'm dying to order it. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the answer!
Hi Eve,

I was just checking your progress on Dr. Mercola's suggested treatments.... Have they been working for you?

 
Old 05-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 49
rose30 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Hi all,
what about Hypothyroid does that have anything to do with acne?

 
Old 05-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 183
member86 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid can cause acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose30
Hi all,
what about Hypothyroid does that have anything to do with acne?
Well for one, it imbalances your hormones which indeed is a leading cause of acne. It also screws up your metabolism, which I'm sure contributes to acne as well.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Can I2 used in CT scan cause hyperthyroid? zyfy Thyroid Disorders 0 12-05-2009 08:29 PM
Hyperthyroid ~ Confused & Lost mum2cj Thyroid Disorders 9 02-26-2009 12:12 PM
Hives with Hyperthyroid Sqtpy Thyroid Disorders 7 12-15-2007 02:37 AM
What Foods Cause Acne!?! UnknownProphet Acne 7 06-26-2007 08:21 PM
Dr. Says Hyperthyroid, Numbers Low Modularman Thyroid Disorders 1 02-10-2007 08:12 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!