It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #1

Azelis77 HB User
Sugar and fruits are causes of acne!

I know for a fact that sugar and fruits cause acne. When I came to college I did not know why I was breaking out so much than I did for the past four years. It took me four months to realize that it was my new high sugar diet that I started in college. I was always eating ice cream, cookies, grapes, orange juice, and apples. I did eat vegetables and protein but I now that when I look back I knew I was eating Too much sugar
One day I decided, that I should stop eating poorly so I can improve my acne. I stopped eating dairy but I still had acne. Then I stopped eating chips and I still had acne. Then finally I gave up the ice cream, oreos, Butterfingers and other sugary things. When I did that I no longer got one single pimple. But I gave into my sugar craving one day and had eight sheets of Honey grahm crackers and orange juice. The next day I broke out.
Doubters I am here to tell you sugar cause acne. Maybe not for a few but I am almost positive it does for the majority of all acne sufferes. I have never known one acne suffer who has had a low sugar diet. I am not saying everyone who has a high sugar diet will break out because your genes do play a role.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Re: Sugar and fruits are causes of acne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelis77
I know for a fact that sugar and fruits cause acne. When I came to college I did not know why I was breaking out so much than I did for the past four years. It took me four months to realize that it was my new high sugar diet that I started in college. I was always eating ice cream, cookies, grapes, orange juice, and apples. I did eat vegetables and protein but I now that when I look back I knew I was eating Too much sugar
One day I decided, that I should stop eating poorly so I can improve my acne. I stopped eating dairy but I still had acne. Then I stopped eating chips and I still had acne. Then finally I gave up the ice cream, oreos, Butterfingers and other sugary things. When I did that I no longer got one single pimple. But I gave into my sugar craving one day and had eight sheets of Honey grahm crackers and orange juice. The next day I broke out.
Doubters I am here to tell you sugar cause acne. Maybe not for a few but I am almost positive it does for the majority of all acne sufferes. I have never known one acne suffer who has had a low sugar diet. I am not saying everyone who has a high sugar diet will break out because your genes do play a role.
You are absolutely correct. Orange Juice may produce a reaction in some, while Oranges usually will not, unless they are allergic to citrus. I don't drink non-100% fruit juice, sodas, etc. I very rarely even drink 100% fruit juice just because it is too sweet for me (LOL). However, others will argue that it lacks fiber which is what may cause the breakouts. Now if you were to make a smoothie blending the whole fruits more fruit juice/smoothies would definately be beneficial.

I personally don't breakout too bad from pure sugar, but I do get sugar pimples (tiny pimples that go away rather quickly once I stop eating the sugar). What really kicks my butt are the grains, particularly gluten grains (wheat, barely, rye, and oats).

Anyway, I'm thrilled that you were able to help yourself and I'm glad you're here on this board =)

Best of wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 04:46 AM   #3
Inactive

prometheus HB User

I love that this person includes "fruits" and says the following:
Quote:
Then finally I gave up the ice cream, oreos, Butterfingers and other sugary things.When I did that I no longer got one single pimple. But I gave into my sugar craving one day and had eight sheets of Honey grahm crackers and orange juice.
and this is probably tropicana supermarket shelved fortified orange juice. heehe

Old 03-28-2004, 07:04 AM   #4

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus

and this is probably tropicana supermarket shelved fortified orange juice. heehe

Yes..probably that one fortified with calcium that my grandmother has been trying to get me to drink for ages lol. She keeps telling me it will help me build strong bones...I just simply say no thanks. If I tried to explain to her the reasons I doubt I'd get anywhere. She's a stubborn one and hard to convince otherwise!

Old 03-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #5

LizzardLady HB User

I know my husband breaks out from drinking soda. If he drinks alot of it, he'll breakout as to where he normally never does (lucky guy!). Me, on the other hand - genes do play a role too, but sugar doesn't help it.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #6

Max_Payne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus

What's a good orange juice that you can buy in supermarkets because i already gave up milk so that i can drink orange juice...

Old 03-28-2004, 12:44 PM   #7

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Payne
What's a good orange juice that you can buy in supermarkets because i already gave up milk so that i can drink orange juice...
Make your own...freshly juiced. That's the only way to go.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #8

thewind HB User

It's not the fruit, it's all that other junk food. Please don't tell people to give up fruit. The sugar in fruit is not the same as the sugar in those junk foods. And those junk foods do not contain vitamins and enzymes. Don't give up fruit.

Old 03-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #9

Imsoalone HB User

i was going to say, fruit doesn't cause acne. fruit is good for you.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #10

Astf HB User

I think this is total bollocks. For the last 6 months or more the ONLY thing I have drunk is orange juice, from concentrate. The reason is, clear sodas are way too sweet for me, and I am trying to whiten my teeth and stay away from dark sodas. I hate plain water, so my only avenue left was juice, and the only juice that doesn't make me sick is orange juice.

A lot of people say that acne is related to diet, which I believe is true. But when it comes to certain foods CAUSING acne, I really really doubt that is the case 90% of the time.

Poor diet on the other hand, LACK of nutrients, really screws up your immune system and healing processes. There is a direct correlation between how good my skin looks and whether I have skipped taking my vitamin supplements the night before. Frankly, I think most people are deficient in some way in their diet, and because most young people eat total crap all day long, it's not surprising that they're suffering (more) from breakouts. Genes play a major role as well, but poor diet definitely exacerbates the problem.

And I forgot to add, that I am a huge sugar junkie, and sometimes go on binges which have no effect whatsoever on my skin. I mean, if it were true that sugar was a significant factor, I should be covered in cysts, or at least notice SOME larger occurance of acne the day after binging, but it just doesn't happen.

Last edited by Astf; 03-28-2004 at 09:19 PM.

Old 03-28-2004, 09:36 PM   #11

blank HB User

astf....if you hate water, that's your main problem. it cleanses your system...orange juice (especially the junk that you buy from convenience stores) won't do the same thing. that's why if you don't pee...you'll die...and if you don't drink anything, you'll die. (along w/ other reasons)
how can you hate something that tastes like nothing?

we actually already had a long (4 pages) thread about sugars like in soda...and sugars like in apples (or virtually any fruit). they're totally different.

you can't put them in the same category. you can eat literally all the fruit you want, and it shouldn't make you any more susceptable to breakouts than if you didn't eat any. (actually, it would help because of the fiber and vitamins...etc).

i just read an article on "new" food pyramids....because the old one that all of us grew up with is not 'correct' with all the new information that is coming out. one of the new pyramids (i think a vegitarian one) that a respectable university offered, had fruit on the bottom tier....and it said 3-Unlimited servings. (though said that you'd get an upset stomach if you ate way too much)

why not eat a orange instead of drinking a class of store-bought orange juice. or eat an apple instead of apple juice. or grapes instead of grape juice. you get the point. fills you up. plus it'll last longer (i can drink a class of juice in 10 seconds....but can't eat an apple in a minute). and they taste just as good.

Azelis77....how did you come to the conclusion that fruit's bad for you? by eating graham crackers? maybe it's the wheat. or the granualated sugar. or the cinnamon. or a combination of the 3. where do oranges and apples fit in?

i also think that it's written all over this board that sugar causes acne. but it's the sugar that's packaged and put into products (soda, candy, cookies...etc), not the stuff that occurs naturally in food. it causes insulin spikes...which lead to more oil production...which is what acne is.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #12

Hamer HB User

I have been staying away from sugar for a few days now and my face is looking good. I do have a little fruit here and there but that is it. I have a question- is it ok to have something that says "sugar-free" on it? For example, diet caffiene free coke has no calories or sugar or fat so as long as I'm drinking enough water would it be ok to have a little of this?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
Inactive

prometheus HB User

it has other nasty stuff and stuff that depletes valuable nutrients, ones that you are deficient in if you have acne.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #14

indy gal HB User

And forget about the sugar free candy too (ie: low carb chocolate bars and the like). That made me break out horribly!

Closed Thread