It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Cluelessgirl HB User
Exclamation Weird Crusty Rash on Chin

I have this thing on my chin, and I don't know that it is rash. But it's really red and has a bunch of tiny tiny bumps, probably tiny zits. And on top of it, it's really dry and flacky. I think it's just really dry skin. But I've been using tretinoin and this antibiotic astringent. Could it be drying out my chin too much? The rest of my face looks really good. Should I just not use it on that area? What do you think it is and what should I do? Has anybody ever had anything simular? Thanks for your input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #2

REMO HB User
Re: Weird Crusty Rash on Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluelessgirl
I have this thing on my chin, and I don't know that it is rash. But it's really red and has a bunch of tiny tiny bumps, probably tiny zits. And on top of it, it's really dry and flacky. I think it's just really dry skin. But I've been using tretinoin and this antibiotic astringent. Could it be drying out my chin too much? The rest of my face looks really good. Should I just not use it on that area? What do you think it is and what should I do? Has anybody ever had anything simular? Thanks for your input.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like a cold sore - also known as herpes simplex 1 virus. Whatever you do don't try and pick it it will spread the virus to other areas of your face. I hope that it turns out to be an irritant to the retin-A!! I would see a dermatologist

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
(female)

Cluelessgirl HB User

Hmmm....I guess it could be. I've never had a cold sore or anything like one. And it's not on or near my lip. I've seen other people with cold sores and it doesn't look anything like theirs. It doesn't bulge up off the skin, like a scab. It's just dry, flacky, and red. I've had it for like a month now. I think cold sores go away faster. Are cold sores genetic? Can you get herpes from someone? Like sharing drinks, kissing, ect? Or can it just develop? How do you get rid of it? Will it last the rest of my life? Does anyone think it's anything else?

Old 03-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Well i had a breakout on my chin before. Was a cyst, really infected, kinda looked green a little. Then little pimples would for close it it, and because i can't leave **** alone, i pop all my whiteheads. Then it formed into like one big pimple. It lasted for like 2 months. Now i have the scar there and cysts still form in that spot, its been 3 months now, but these new ones seem to heal a lot better than the one(s) i got that lasted 2 months. I thought i had herpes or somthing, it wasnt on my lip, it was on my chin about half an inch below my lip. Best advice is to leave it alone, at work i just wore a bandaide, anyone asked why, said i had medicine on. (they see my other acne, so they don't really know how hideous it was..and it was) It would scab over, i did peel the scabs off, then leave it alone, dont touch it. And it might scab over a 1 or 2 more times before it heals. As long as its not like my horrible one, which scabbed over tons of times. But i was doing massive things to it with, alcohol, peroxide, neosporin, bp, i think i made it worse. Just don't mess with it too much, you don't want it there for months like mine was, then it really looks like its herpes. cysts = devil

*edit* btw, when it was pretty big, i could notice 1 or 2 extra white heads growing in the bump and close to it, so i think your having the same thing as me.

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 03-31-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
(female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluelessgirl
Yes! When I was using tretinoin I had the same thing all around my mouth and chin. What you describe really sounds like a reaction to the tretinoin... Does it hurt?

Once I stopped the tretinoin, it healed up, but left a nasty scar. In fact most of the scars I now have are from the damage caused by using tretinoin for 12 weeks.

I would advise you to at least take a break from using the tretinoin on that area, and let your skin heal.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #6

fjmonly HB User

I don't know but I have a friend who has something of the same thing happen to him and he has been diagnosed as having Roshea (spelling as it sounds, not as it is)

Old 04-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

Cluelessgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genn
Yes! When I was using tretinoin I had the same thing all around my mouth and chin. What you describe really sounds like a reaction to the tretinoin... Does it hurt?

Once I stopped the tretinoin, it healed up, but left a nasty scar. In fact most of the scars I now have are from the damage caused by using tretinoin for 12 weeks.

I would advise you to at least take a break from using the tretinoin on that area, and let your skin heal.

Good luck!
Yeah, I had mild acne but then when I started to use tretinoin it got worse and gave me all these scars I didn't have before. That kind of sucks.

Anyways, at first it just started out as a lot of little bumps on my chin, but then it turned into this. I thought that it was just the tretinoin pulling all the junk out from deep in my skin. Another thing was just before this, in the SAME spot I had a huge massive cyst or zit under the skin. Not noticeable but I could feel it. So I was thinking maybe that broke up or something and just spread and made all the little bumps. But it's been a long time and I want it to go away. I think it is slowly going away now though. It's just taking forever! Thanks for your answers. Don't hesitate if you have anymore comments.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

It sounds like Impitego to me. I have had this 2 times on my face. Does it itch? Are the umps kind of like really tiny blisters? Go to the doctor. If it's Impitego, they will give you antibiotics and it will eventually dry up and go away.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
(female)

Cluelessgirl HB User

I guess it could be so many different things. Maybe I should go to the doctor...

Closed Thread