It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #1

Davidx17 HB User
They say acne is caused by hormones, could it be high testosterone?

Wondering if it was high testosterone causing it. Id like to know more about what hormones have to do with acne. Thankyou.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Re: They say acne is caused by hormones, could it be high testosterone?

Absolutely!

High androgen levels are responsible for probably 99% of all acne cases. The exceptions would be those that have an allergy to a food or skin care ingredient. In which case, inflammation will occur (cysts, pimples,etc), but it won't be due to androgens.

Those of us on this board, that have improved or cured ourselves through diet (and/or liver healing) did so due to an intolerance to foods (different from an allergy) and/or also by balancing our insulin levels.

If you are going through Puberty, being Insulin Resistant is a natural part of this process. Your body requires this in order to grow and bring you into adulthood. In order to do this your body needs to produce MORE Growth and Steriod hormones that unfortunately if produced in great excess, will actually cause more damage than good (everything in moderation). Some people end up gaining more wieght during this time, others end up with Acne, discover they are diabetic, or other hormonal imbalance problems. Many things can occur and what confuses most people is the assumption that everyone is the same and therefore must react the same way to the same foods, hormones, etc. If you just look all around you, we clearly are not the exact same. We are not clones of each other and so that line if thinking is highly flawed and is simply not true!

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more people are still having hormonal problems, such as acne prior to entering puberty, and even beyond puberty =( Some people deal with acne for 5, 10, 20, 30 years or more. I've come across people in their 30s, 40s and 60s that are still dealing with acne. If you are going to be one of these individuals (you won't know beforehand), the longer you wait to get treatment, the worse your health & hormonal problems will be.

In terms of acne, the kicker here is that it's usually Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) that's causing a lot of grief. Regular testosterone, is nothing compared to the super potency of DHT. You can have regular hormone levels and still have acne, because your sebaceous glands are still producing or are sensitive to DHT. This usually accounts for about 90% of acne sufferers. The other 10% are those like myself, that not only have a follicle sensitivity to DHT, but also produce too much testosterone (this is converted into DHT).

For women this is not a good thing because once our follicles gain a sensitivity to this, even with decreased tesoterone levels, we still need something to help us fight off excess body hair and hair loss that's also related to DHT =/ Not to mention, DHT overrides estrogen and so it not only can alter our secondary sex characteristics (more body hair), but it can also stunt our feminie growth as well (smaller breasts, irregular menstrual cycles, etc). A favorable product for inhbiting DHT is Spironolactone or the alternatives are Saw Palmetto or Beta Sitosterol.

Now, the above can also be used for men. In fact you should find a few topics here that discuss the use of the above for you. Just as with women, if males get too much estrogen (this can happen if you take too much of a DHT inhibitor and/or an Estrogen supplement), you can start to lose body hair, have a decreased libido, or end up with gynecomastia, but is reversable upon medication adjustment/elimination. However, what really concerns me and should concern all males, especially those that are still dealing with acne beyond puberty, is that of having Earlier or more Severe Prostate problems, possibly even prostate cancer. I know it's a touchy subject and doctors fear what could happen to males when it comes to this, but those that don't produce (enough) DHT, don't get prostrate problems.

If you are still going through puberty, blocking your DHT through prescriptions is a bad idea (you can do it safely & naturally through diet or some supplements). Because you are still growing, this will stunt a man's growth (and cause the above symptoms), but once you in your 20s and you've gone through your growth spurts, this is something you can think about. You can't have DHT without Testosterone, and this is something you can reduce overall through diet. Along with this, you will also decrease your estrogen because some testosterone is naturally converted into estrogen. So concerning a male's prostate, this is actually more complicated because Estrogen has it's role too, which may be why all DHT-Inhibitors (natural or drugs), also reduce/block the conversion of your testosterone into Estrogen ;-) Now they say that all males will eventually have prostate problems, but for those that are producing EXCESS Hormones, and thus excess DHT, how bad is it going to be for you?

What's wonderful is that what will improve or cure your acne, happens to handle quite a few other hormonal problems, especially prostrate problems. So if you can find a way to internally balance your hormones (natually), you will also decrease your chances of having prostate problems, or even male patterned baldness if that's a concern. Oh and for women, the sooner you are able to correct your hormonal problems, especially if still during puberty, you can prevent the above female symptoms from also occuring.

HTH =)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 04-09-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #3

Davidx17 HB User

Im 17, and Ive had acne eversince I was about 14. The reason I was concerned about it is because I've been lifting weights which releases more HGH from working out so many muscles and I was told to make sure I eat enough fat, especially monounsaturated fats because its responsible for hormone production and would help me gain muscle. I also try not to eat as many carbs as protein. What kind of affect could this have on the acne? Thanks for all the information, you know a lot.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

did you ever notice guys that are super hairy(body hair)and yet are bald on top.not all the time but a lot of the time.they are producing too much dht.

Closed Thread