It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #1

RPMcCalip HB User
Red, flaky skin around nose

Hello, I have a small amount of redness on the side of my nose, and a little more on the area between the side of my nose and my cheeks, just above my mustache area. It seems pretty bad on the right side of my face, but not too bad on the other. I have a very small amount of redness on my cheeks but it isn't bad at all and hardly noticeable, just bad in this one area. There's also some redness around my chin underneath my goatee, and quite a bit of flaky skin too. I used to have really red skin when I had bad cystic acne and when I was taking accutane, but since then, about two years now, I haven't had that problem, it's just come up in the last couple of weeks. I'm not using any cleansers at the moment, and haven't for months now, so I know harsh topicals isn't the problem, and it seems to be bad only in one spot, just around the nose, so I doubt it's rosacea. Do you think it's just dry skin in that area that a simple moisturizer like cetaphil could cure? Or do you think it's something that would require a topical to treat?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #2
(male)

Karl2 HB User
Re: Red, flaky skin around nose

Hi,

Iím afraid that I canít offer any insight to your query; however, I was hoping you could offer me some. If Iím not mistaken you made a post quite a while back in reference to ďsaline injections,Ē and Dr. Sire in California. If my memory serves me well, you had said that you were very pleased with the results. I was wondering if those positive results were still with you. Iím sorry to spring this up on you, but there is no one around anymore from that group that was discussing this procedure. Of course, any information will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 07:40 AM   #3

triggert HB User

Sounds like a similar problem I had. I can't remember what the derm told me it was but it is caused by dry, oily skin (don't ask me how you can have both at once). The easiest way for me to explain it is that its like dandruff but you get it on your face. My derm put me on Plexion which cleared it right up in about 3-4 days. I still have to use it from time to time but overall the problem is taken care of. Hope this helps!

Trigg

Old 04-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMcCalip
Hello, I have a small amount of redness on the side of my nose, and a little more on the area between the side of my nose and my cheeks, just above my mustache area. It seems pretty bad on the right side of my face, but not too bad on the other.
Hi Randy, I have exactly the same condition on my face aswell. My areas affected are mainly the nasolabial folds, the crevises underneath these folds and small sections on my nose. However I think it is beginning to spread to my cheeks but am not entirely sure. The areas I have described are very red ALWAYS and do flake quite alot. They may also experience whiteheads/blackhead. You say it is pretty bad on the right side of your face but the other isn't too bad. Well this probably means that the problem is spreading.

Now the diagnosis of this skin condition is something called Seborrheic Dermatitis. The areas most commonly affected are: hairy areas of the head: the scalp, eyebrows, eyelashes, mustache and beard, the forehead, the nasolabial folds and the external ear canals. This skin condition is very often symmetrically distributed therefore if you have it on one side of your face you are likely to have it on the other.

Pityrosporum ovale (or P.ovale), a yeast substance, is generally believed to cause this condition. Seborrheic dermatitis is believed to be an inflammatory response to this yeast. P. ovale is present on all persons however it is not known why some persons develop seborrheic dermatitis and others do not.

This skin condition really annoys me because basically whatever I have used has failed to get rid of it! There is no permanent cure available unfortunately so if you have it you must undertake continuous daily/weekly treatment to prevent it coming back.

The treatment options for seborrheic dermatitis include antifungal lotions (selenium sulfide, pyrithione zinc, azole agents, sodium sulfacetamide and topical terbinafine) that decrease colonization by lipophilic yeast and anti-inflammatory agents (topical steroids). For severe conditions, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale; then topical steroids may be applied. Other options for removing scale involve applying any of a variety of oils (peanut, olive or mineral) to soften the scale overnight, followed by use of a detergent or coal tar shampoo.

But I have tried the majority of these treatments in the past and none of them work effectively. They worked for about a week then failed thereafter. This is so frustrating because Seb Derm is exactly like acne, it is not cureable through these treatments and doctors claim these are the only methods to cure it even though it doesn't get cured. There is one natural thing that does work and that is the sunlight. UV-A and UV-B light is very effective at killing off the yeast however you need to be constantly exposed to this light which isn't very good in the long run.

How can something so simple be so difficult to cure! It makes little sense to me. However I have read that the condition affects many more males than females and this suggests that it could be related to the androgen hormone. Thus if it is hormonally related it CAN be controlled, in theory, via diet/cleansing. This is the method I am trying at the moment in the hope that it will cure my Seb Derm and Acne.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #5

Taz_Grl HB User

Vinegar, folks, vinegar. 1/2 apple cider or white vinegar, 1/2 water, splash on affected skin anywhere on the body at night and let air dry. It'll hurt at first since the skin is already irritated (and don't get it in your eyes cuz that hurts too), but that gradually goes away.

Vinegar kills bacteria (most definitely yeast - think douches<g>) and restores your skin's natural acidic balance - bacteria can't live in an acidic environment. Once the balance is consistently restored, your skin will heal itself and retain its moisture naturally. Redness, flaky skin and irritation should go away quickly. The only thing prescription medications, steroids and acne washes do is strip the oil from your skin and make the problem worse. Most moisturizers have mineral oil in them, which actually dries out the skin more and plugs pores.

I too tried everything under the sun, including antibiotics, and nothing worked long-term except vinegar. That and a little bit of aloe gel for additional moisture and my face is virtually perfect again, freckles and all! I don't want to get preachy about the uses of vinegar, but I think it's highly understimated due to its, well, fragrance. It's cheap, completely harmless and actually corrects the underlying problem instead of just tackling the results of the problem (bacterial infections).

Hope this helps!

-Robyn

Old 04-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #6

RPMcCalip HB User

Hey Karl, it's funny you mentioned Dr. Sire and the saline injections, because I was actually going to make a post about that last week, because I read a few posts about people asking for updates from people who tried it in the past. I wrote this long-winded post, then for whatever reason just decided to delete it and went to bed.

I was very pleased with the overall results. I actually read over a couple of the posts that I left about it at the time. I think I might have been a bit generous with my praise. I did see great progress definitely, but a lot of it was also wishful thinking on my part. It certainly didn't remove 100 percent of the scarring, but I would say it removed very close to that percentage on my smaller scars, of which I had quite a few all over my face, and I had three deeper scars which I was particularly concerned about. The procedure helped a lot even with those scars, but I would say the improvement was maybe 50 percent in the long run, not 100 percent as I speculated it might be then. It helped so much so that over time I just stopped coming to the boards altogether, because I was pleased enough with the results that I didn't need anything else to help me with the scarring. The three larger scars have gotten to the point where they're hardly even noticeable in harsh light, and not noticeable at all unless I'm standing at a certain angle in sunlight or some type of artificial light which is directly above my head. I would imagine this is why the other people also stopped posting. They too were happy enough with their results that they felt they didn't need any other treatments, and eventually they stopped coming to the boards.

I don't know how exactly the saline helps with the scarring, but it might have to do with the puncturing of the skin with the needle over and over again, and as it heals the pitted area becomes a little more filled in each time. I heard "needling" is a very popular procedure and some people were supposed to have great results with that, so I don't know. I would say that if your in the LA area and can drop by Dr. Sire's office it would definitely be worth it. At the time each procedure was 90 dollars I think and I had 6 or 7 visits before I felt completely satisfied with the results. Your supposed to go every 2-3 weeks I believe. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the info on my problem guys, I was hoping it was just some dry skin and could be solved easily just by putting on moisturizer, but I guess it might be a more serious problem. It's strange though because it's not constantly there, when I wake up it looks fine, isn't even noticeable, and isn't that bad throughout the day. After I shower though it's really bad, and it gets worse after I eat something or when I laugh or smile. I'll probably just try some moisturizer for a couple of days and if that doesn't work I'll go see my derm next week.

Thanks again for all the help!

Randy

Old 04-17-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Hey Randy,

I want to thank-you for getting back to me. I'm extremely glad to hear that you received very significant improvements (50%). It's nice to know that a relatively simple procedure can yield such substantial results - it's great. I will definitely look into the procedure now, as I was just waiting for some first hand testimonies. Thank-you once again, and take care.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

undefinedWash your face well every am,then use a moisturizer of your choice,one for dry skin............

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
(female)

WWScrappy HB User

I have not read all the responses you've got on your post so someone else may have mentioned this already, but if not I hope it helps you. I have the same problem around my nose and under my lip on my chin, and I'm a female. It's not necessarily caused in hairy areas. This could be the result of a very common yeast germ that people have a very hard time finding the cure to.
One of the best things you can do to help fight this rash is to start eating yogurt. You should have at least two servings of yogurt a day. You could also put plain yogurt directly on the rash like a face mask and leave it on for 15 mins, but this will not necessarily speed up the results.
Yogurt has a property that eats up the yeast germ and in turn helps fight the rash.

There are plenty of other plusses to eating yogurt as well. It will help give you an all around more balanced system and help you to strengthen your immune system to fight off flu. So if it doesn't help to cure your rash the way it helped mine, it still won't hurt you to try.

If you do not like the taste of yogurt you can buy yogurt pills in a health food store and also, sometimes Walgreens will carry them, however eating real yogurt is much more effective.

Also, if this doesn't work let me know because I have a few other tricks up my sleeve. This just seemed to be the most effective for me.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-11-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 08-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
(male)

JohninColumbia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_Grl View Post
Vinegar, folks, vinegar. 1/2 apple cider or white vinegar, 1/2 water, splash on affected skin anywhere on the body at night and let air dry. It'll hurt at first since the skin is already irritated (and don't get it in your eyes cuz that hurts too), but that gradually goes away.

Vinegar kills bacteria (most definitely yeast - think douches<g>) and restores your skin's natural acidic balance - bacteria can't live in an acidic environment. Once the balance is consistently restored, your skin will heal itself and retain its moisture naturally. Redness, flaky skin and irritation should go away quickly. The only thing prescription medications, steroids and acne washes do is strip the oil from your skin and make the problem worse. Most moisturizers have mineral oil in them, which actually dries out the skin more and plugs pores.

I too tried everything under the sun, including antibiotics, and nothing worked long-term except vinegar. That and a little bit of aloe gel for additional moisture and my face is virtually perfect again, freckles and all! I don't want to get preachy about the uses of vinegar, but I think it's highly understimated due to its, well, fragrance. It's cheap, completely harmless and actually corrects the underlying problem instead of just tackling the results of the problem (bacterial infections).

Hope this helps!

-Robyn

I have had extreme flaking of skin on the sides of the nose, on the cheeks just under the eyes, on the bridge of the nose, in the eyelashes, lower forehead, temple area and in the ears. It sometimes turns red and gets sore, the inside of the ears tend to itch a fair amount. It has been going on for decades! The dermatologist advised not washing the areas and use moisturizing creams. I tried Cortisone cream daily for decades and recently olive oil, but neither worked very well.

I saw Robyn's post a few weeks ago and tried using 100% White vinegar. I dabbed it on with a cotton swab including inside the ears and let it dry. It only burned a little the very first time. Miraculously, it does not seem to dry out the skin!! The redness is gone and there is much less itching in my ears. I now apply it just every 2-3 days after a shower. There seemed to be an immediate improvement with only a little flaking as compared to my previous condition. There is very much less itching in my ears. Although I can smell a little vinegar from time to time, my wife says that there is no odor.

Robyn's advice may not have provided a 100% cure, but I do believe my skin condition has improved dramatically. It's the best treatment I have ever tried for this condition and never would have thought it would have worked without Robyn's testimony. Thanks a bunch, Robyn, this is a big help!

Please be VERY cautious not to get vinegar in the eyes or on the ear drum.

JOHN

Closed Thread