It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #1

monminkellan HB User
Thumbs up Hydrogen Peroxide!!

This is the technique no dermatoligist or acne lotion creator would want you to know about! It's $0.60 a bottle and has completely cleared me up! I use it as a toner morning and night. It can sting a bit and give you an itchy type feeling till it dries (about two minutes) but that has subsided for me now. I've been using it three weeks. I think it's just at the beginning when your face is getting used to it. Always moisturize after it dries! I've had no drying what so ever. I use Origins moisturizer. I just went off my antibiotics after they quit working. I was on them for two years. Also was using Tretinoin cream. I liked it but it seemed to make me oiler. I figured this out after I quit using it. I will use it occasionally because it's been proven as an anti-aging cream as well! :-) If you want I'm sure you could dillute the peroxide with a bit of water. Please research acne+Hydrogen Peroxide on the net and you will find sites that verify what I am saying. If you do get a pimple or two. Using the peroxide will dry them up and they will be completely gone in two to three days! I'm not joking! I wish I could shout this from the rooftops! I am also taking Evening Primrose oil because it is supposed to balance out the hormones! Which is what acne is from. Hormones trigger sebum which then mixes with bacteria (hence peroxide which is an antiseptic) and then flakes of skin help clog pores.....then you get the pimples! So please try this! I would love to hear your success stories as well! Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to monminkellan For This Useful Post:
verifyitall (08-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #2

moe2121 HB User
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide!!

hmm interesting. so would you wash your face in the morning and night and then apply the hydrogen peroxide then mosturize?

Old 04-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #3

monminkellan HB User

Yes! I use Noxema, the kind that has Tricolosan (sp) in it. It's an antibacterial agent. Then after the shower I use a cottonball to apply the peroxide. I wait about two minutes until the peroxide dries and then apply my moisturizer. I do this morning and night! Gals can apply makeup right over moisturizer! I'm telling you, it works! And like I said, if you do get a breakout, I am betting it will be so mild (only a few pimples) and by applying the peroxide they are gone in a matter of two to three days! Mine have been tiny whiteheads and by using the peroxide they are gone in a day. So with more cystic acne it could reasonably take three days or so! I'm not scientist, but this works!!! Check the net!!! You'll find a few sites that say the same! Good luck!

Old 04-28-2004, 09:21 AM   #4

jenna1 HB User

I've been suffering from acne since I was 13 (I'm now 30) and have tried everything under the sun to help control my hormonal acne so I was interested in this topic. I've added hydrogen peroxide to my regimen and so far have noticed a vast improvement in one week. I wash with cetaphil gentle skin clenser, swab my face with the peroxide, then moisturize with cetaphil facial moisturizer, since the peroxide is drying, and my pimples are clearing up.

I also have to add that since switching to cetaphil as my clenser, my skin has never looked, or felt better!!

Thank you for the info monminkellan

Old 04-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #5

siren3 HB User

Hydrogen peroxide will cause free-radical damage to your skin. I know it destroys bacteria, but pretty soon it will destroy your skin as well. It is only meant to be used on wounds, but not on skin for a long period of time. Please consider that, because this is why it is not recommeded by anyone for skincare. Your pimples may go away, but wrinkles and dry damaged skin (that a moisturizer cannot prevent or correct) will start to set in over time . Sorry if I sound negative, I just don't want you to destroy your skin.

Last edited by siren3; 04-28-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #6

AussieSpirit HB User

siren3,

I have been beginning to question the use of these products in skincare.

I've been using Benzac AC (which has Peroxide as one of it's ingredients) which works very well when I put it all over my face, but I've been wondering what the long term affects may be.

Since starting the contraceptive pill Yasmin (which has had half good results for me) I stopped my daily Benzac AC "whole face" routine and just used it every so often. Usually after my period to clean up "the mess" my hormones create.

They say that having oily skin means that your skin won't be as wrinkly when you get older, however won't putting all these chemicals (with peroxide) onto your skin dry it out just as though you had dry skin anyway?

Last edited by AussieSpirit; 05-01-2004 at 05:49 AM.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #7

siren3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieSpirit
siren3,

I have been beginning to question the use of these products in skincare.

I've been using Benzac AC (which has Peroxide as one of it's ingredients) which works very well when I put it all over my face, but I've been wondering what the long term affects may be.

Since starting the contraceptive pill Yasmin (which has had half good results for me) I stopped my daily Benzac AC "whole face" routine and just used it every so often. Usually after my period to clean up "the mess" my hormones create.

They say that having oily skin means that your skin won't be as wrinkly when you get older, however won't putting all these chemicals (with peroxide) onto your skin dry it out just as though you had dry skin anyway?
Yes, I think no matter how oily your skin is, it cannot protect it against harsh chemicals that weren't meant to be used on the skin for so long.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Inactive

Steam HB User

Hi, I just wanted to say that people have recommended me hydrogen proixide , but i dont know if i should use it....iam currently using clearasil. and drinking alot of water. any other tips to clear up acne, and if i masterbate does that give me acne ? cause everyone says masterbating ...creates more acne on the face ?

Old 05-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

marlene12 HB User
Smile Re: Hydrogen Peroxide!!

[QUOTE=monminkellan]This is the technique no dermatoligist or acne lotion creator would want you to know about! It's $0.60 a bottle and has completely cleared me up! I use it as a toner morning and night. It can sting a bit and give you an itchy type feeling till it dries (about two minutes) but that has subsided for me now.

Hi monminkellan - I'm happy HP has helped you. And, believe me, I've had ongoing skin problems so I don't want to burst your bubble. Fact is, it is very harmful to your skin. The stinging is telling you it's actually irritating your skin. There are studies on it's use, especially long term.

Sincerely,

marlene

Last edited by moderator2; 05-02-2004 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Do not post your email address. Please carefully review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #10

AussieSpirit HB User

Steam that sounds like an old wives tale!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #11

monminkellan HB User

Hi guys! I really appreciate your concern. I have done research on this topic, as well as consulting with my dr. and I have no worries. There is actually a website on hydrogen peroxide and it's benefits. It actually restores your skins acidity levels as well as being an antiseptic. My mom has been using it for years and years and has no problems. The stinging feeling I'm sure is the skin going....woah, new thing on me! I hardly have any stinging any longer as my face is now used to the new product. By the way, has anyone tried Neutrogena's toner! OUCHHHH!!! That stuff hurt me so badly and caused my whole face to be beet red. So I really don't think the hydrogen peroxide is any more damaging than some of the acne medications out there right now. As for the free radical damage........that is brought on by things in the air such as exhaust etc. I use Origins products for my moisturizer plus one of their products called "A Perfect World" which is for free racical protection. Thank you again for your input and concern. For those of you trying peroxide and having a great result, don't be scared by some of this talk. Do your own research!! Nothing is going to happen! Also, as far as aging goes. 90% of that is genetic as well. And if you are moisturizing after you use the peroxide then you are fine. To be honest, my face has acclamated so well that a few days ago I forgot to moisturize. I wasn't dry at all. If you notice peeling etc. then use it every other day. I haven't had a BIT of dryness. When I use my Tretinoin cream I peel like crazy! So please don't let a few comments worry you guys!! Best of luck! Sorry it took so long for me to respond! I'll check back again soon!

Old 05-10-2004, 02:22 PM   #12
(female)

AnitaPita HB User

I decided to try this...surprisingly, after all my years with acne I have never tried hydrogen peroxide. I have been on LOTS of prescription topicals and antibiotics in addition to Proactiv and everything else under the sun. My skin has really cleared over the last year or so, but in my mid twenties I had alot of painful cysts. I have this one on my cheek that occasionally flares up even now. It is right in the middle of my cheek on the left side. Well it flared up about 4-6 weeks ago...I have applied peroxide to it after washing for the last 3 days. The cyst is pretty much gone now. So today I applied it to another cyst on the other side, closer to my ear. I have already noticed it seems to be shrinking. Those are about the only two acne on my face at this time but it seems to have worked great! I wanted to thank the person that posted this topic!

UPDATE: I've been sitting here at work all day. I just looked in the mirror for the first time since this morning. The cyst now has what appears to be a small head and sort of a crust around it (sorry, I know thats gross) The way a cyst looks when it is drying up. I dont doubt that the cyst is STILL there. It was not "extracted". But it is pretty much gone for now. I dont know about the free radical damage that was talked about earlier in the post..but if this keeps my cysts away..I dont mind applying the peroxide every now and then when they come up. I don't know about using it on the whole face...I have not tried that as I only have a couple cysts right now.

Last edited by AnitaPita; 05-10-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
Veteran

Neca HB User

Anita I have heard that H2O2 fights acne effectively however it does have several drawbacks which can vary from person to person. Can I ask if you have noticed any bleaching or changing in tone of your skin since using the Hydrogen Peroxide, thanks?

Hope it clears up those cysts without any problems, good luck!

Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 AM   #14
(female)

AnitaPita HB User

Neca,
I applied the peroxide again this morning. The cyst is now a flat red mark. I also applied to another cyst on the other side, it is still a hard knot and painful to touch, but it is smaller. I have not noticed any skin discoloration but this is only my 4th day of using peroxide. I have not had any drying either but my skin is pretty oily. I have an olive skintone and Ive got somewhat of a tan right now. I am going to keep using it on these two spots to see what happens and Ill let you know the results. Hopefully I wont end up with a lighter spot in the middle of my cheek

Old 05-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #15
Veteran

Neca HB User

Anita, sounds like it is working very well. I'm glad to hear that. To get a cyst to shrink that quickly is impressive! Having an olive tone and being tanned will make it much easier to tell if you experience any skin discolouration therefore you can stop using the H2O2 before it becomes really distinct. As you are only using it as spot treatment I'm sure you will be fine. By the way, what strength H2O2 are you using as I have seen 3% as the recommended amount? Thanks again.

Closed Thread