It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Accutane plus antibiotic?

I have one extremely persistent cyst on my cheek that doesn't want to go away. Yesterday was the third time I had it injected with cortisone, and although cortisone has always worked on my cysts in the past on the first try, this one keeps filling up again after 2-3 weeks. It's about 1 - 1 1/4 inches across my cheek and looks extremely bizarre when I have an otherwise clear face. Anyways, I just began my second month of Accutane yesterday. I also got the cyst reinjected yesterday and my derm gave me a prescription of Cephalexin (500mg 3x/day). I don't expect to have any adverse side effects yet but I'm kind of scared about Accutane and Cephalexin at the same time. Has anybody's derm given them antibiotics while they were on Accutane? I obviously trust my derm on this but I was wondering about everyone else's opinions. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #2

CraigTS367 HB User
Re: Accutane plus antibiotic?

Using tetracycline antibiotics with Accutane can be very dangerous. I've read that it can cause pressure on the brain which leads to other problems. I'm not sure if Doxycycline is a tetracycline or related but you may want to check. I would assume that if it was, then your dr. wouldn't give it to you. But you never know. I've come across some pretty incompetent derms in my day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I just looked up Cephalexin and this is what I found:

"DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Cephalexin belongs to a class of antibiotics called cephalosporins. They are similar to penicillin in action and side effects. They stop or slow the growth of bacterial cells by preventing bacteria from forming the cell wall that surrounds each cell. The cell wall protects bacteria from the external environment and keeps the contents of the cell together. Without a cell wall bacteria are not able to survive. Bacteria that are susceptible to cephalexin include Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, E. coli and several others.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Serious interactions of cephalexin with other drugs are uncommon."

Reading about that definitely makes me feel better. That's not to say that something couldn't happen to me, of course. But so far, I haven't had any of the negative side effects that are possible.

Old 05-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #4

leb1977 HB User

Boston Girl,
I have a similar situation. This huge cyst on my cheek. Went to derm, he drained it some than shot it with cortizone and gave me the same antibiotic. I am also on accutane (1mo and 1/2). This was just two days ago, but so far nothing major has happened. I too was worried about the interaction, but hearing your story makes me feel better. I think it will be okay. My derm gave the prescription for 2 weeks, how about you?

Old 05-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #5

Geek_USA HB User

Accutane + Antibiotics = Brain Swelling

The brain may not (but usually does) swell if both antibiotics and accutane are used, which can lead to serious damage, which can then lead to death.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Leb,

My derm gave me a 2 week prescription too. Tuesday is the beginning of my second week on it. So far, nothing bad has happened to me. My derm talked to me about the brain swelling but I was told that the chances aren't as high as everyone says. He said I could fill the prescription if I was comfortable with it and I decided to go ahead and do it. No regrets. How is Accutane and Cephalexin working for you? My annoying cyst is completely flat now but there's a slight discoloration which can kind of be covered up with makeup.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #7

leb1977 HB User

I think it's working well. It haven't gone through my first week on it yet. The cyst is not flat yet, and I too have some discolor; well actually it's a tiny *** of bood under the skin. I am hoping it goes away SOOOOON!

Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Mine took about 5 days to finally flatten out. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. This has been a persistent one that's been injected 3 times and has been making a home on my face since mid-February. I think all that was left of mine was a bit of blood too. Hopefully the combo of Accutane and Cephalexin has done its job! I haven't decided if I'm going to refill for one more week of the antibiotic but since I'm so happy with it, maybe I will.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #9

leb1977 HB User

Mine's still not flat yet, but it is healing nicely. I am definitely going for the full 2 weeks. Oh, and nothing to worry about Cepahlexin. It's not a tretacycline derivarive so no pressure on the brain.
Oh, and to make you feel better about your cyst... my cyst was from 12 years ago. It blew up the first time when I was 15 (I'm 27 now) and just last week I picked at the same spot and it shot up in flames all over again... can you believe that...12 years ago? My derm said something about the sack under the skin never cleared out or whatever. Crazy!

Old 08-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Resurecting this old post. Haven't seen any posts from leb in a while but I was just curious as to how you're doing with the accutane?

Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #11

bored HB User

well i'm currently taking 250 mg amoxicilin 3 times a day with 20 mg roaccutane one every 2 days

b4 that i was taking doxycycline once a day and roaccutane 20 mg twice a week..but that didnt help as my derm say he underestimate my problem..lol..so he up my dosage to above..
well he did mention that he has been prescribing his medication this way for the past 20 years..and he's really famous in singapore...so well...maybe because i wasnt on full accutane course,..only partial...20 mg one every 2 day!
but i think the antibiotic is meant to prevent big pimples from coming out
and the accutane to reduce oil..but hope this combination would get me cured.......................been waiting......and waiting........lol

Old 08-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored
well i'm currently taking 250 mg amoxicilin 3 times a day with 20 mg roaccutane one every 2 days

b4 that i was taking doxycycline once a day and roaccutane 20 mg twice a week..but that didnt help as my derm say he underestimate my problem..lol..so he up my dosage to above..
well he did mention that he has been prescribing his medication this way for the past 20 years..and he's really famous in singapore...so well...maybe because i wasnt on full accutane course,..only partial...20 mg one every 2 day!
but i think the antibiotic is meant to prevent big pimples from coming out
and the accutane to reduce oil..but hope this combination would get me cured.......................been waiting......and waiting........lol
Bored,

For your whole accutane treatment so far, have you just been taking a pill every other day or was there some point you took pills everyday? I hope your accutane/antibiotic treatment is going well.

Closed Thread