It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
Inactive

zxc_zxc HB User
Erythromycin Dosage Wrong?

I got a prescription from the doc and when I picked up the Erythromycin from the pharmacy it says the dosage (on sticker on bottle) is: one 250mg tablet, four times a day.

This sound right for those who have taken Erythro before?

I was on Minocycline for 7 months which did make me breakout far less than when I started. However I was getting lots of little red marks below the surface of pimples that had come to surface and then gone down below and remained there, aswell as little spots that never broke the surface but were somewhat visible. Basically I feel the Mino slowed down the time and amount of spots that came up but also made it hard for existing spots to heal and go down.

I never used to get this years ago and found this strange as I would get 1 -3 big spots in an area where as now I get 1 big spot and 3 little ones around it just below the surface. So since I had been taking a higher dosage of mino for 7 months, which was usually 100mg a day (one tablet) but sometimes 200mg a day for a week or two if I had a breakout, the doc thought that maybe I should try Erythro aswell as some Dalacin T topical.

I tried the Dalacin T for 1 week and remained on Mino. Nothing really changed so started to take Erythro and Dalacin T today and cut out Mino. The doc warned that there wouldn't be a problem with my bodys system by switching so drastically. I just wan't to make sure the dosage is correct.

If this S*** don't work Im going back on Accutane........to bad cause I like my alchohol once in a while.

Thoughts?????? Many thanks.......

Last edited by zxc_zxc; 05-06-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
(female)

ACluelessOne HB User
Re: Erythromycin Dosage?

Hi,

I cannot give you an answer about the dosage, as I never took it for acne, but I have taken Erythromycin before, and just want to pass along a warning to you.

If you start experiencing any stomach cramps while taking this med, I would advise that you stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor.

I was taking it, and although this was many years ago, the dosage seems about the same, and I got severe stomach cramps from it.. so bad that I could barely move. It started off as small cramps, which I blew off, and didn't think about.. But the more I took of the med, the worse the cramps were. Till the final part, when I called a friend, and she came and got me (as I was beyond the point where I could drive) and took me to her place. The cramps got even worse, and we were just to the point where she was going to take me to the ER to get my stomach pumped, when I did it naturally.. (i.e. puked my guts out)

I have been told by others that it did the same to them. Erythromycin is a very strong antibiotic, and may cause stomach cramps. I just wish to warn you, that "if" you start experiencing them (stomach cramps) to stop while you're ahead. I know everyone is different, but wish to save you from the pain and agony that it caused me.. if you start getting the cramps.

I avoid that stuff like the plague now. When asked if I am allergic to anything I tell them yes and that it is erythromycin and that it causes me severe stomach cramping.

Hope this helps a little bit..

Old 05-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Inactive

zxc_zxc HB User

Thank you very much for the warning. I will defenetely play close attention to how my stomach is feeling. How long after you stopped taking it did the cramps stop? and permanent damage to organs etc?

Also this question goes out to anyone. If this dosage is 4 times a day, do you think it is ok to take it while under the influence of alcohol (drunk ) ?
I go out drinking (not to the point where I puke) about 2 nights a week. With Mino I felt fine cause I would take it in the afternoon way before drinking. Now I will have to take a 250mg tablet before I go to bed so the drug stays in my system throughout the day. I always drink about 1 - 1 1/2 Litres of water a day and a bunch when I get home from a night on the town. So would it be okay on my liver to take before falling asleep drunk?

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
(female)

ACluelessOne HB User

Hi again..

Now, I'm only going by memory here and when going by memory, the best things that are remembered correctly are the extrememly bad or extremely good parts.. I "want" to say that the cramping stopped immediately, but I'm sure that it was more of an ebbing away... I know that as soon as I stopped taking the med, the cramping stopped. It didn't last for weeks or anything.. but may have remained about a day..

As for the alcohol.. I can't remember.. I thought about how long ago I am talking, and it has to be at least 15 years.. and at that time, I was in the prime of "partying" age. I do not think I drank with it though.. As I was on the med for an actual infection. You could look up on a rx page and see if there is a drug interaction with it.

Oh, and as an afterthought, to your question. I do not believe that there was any organ damage.. I believe I was on the med for less than a week.. The cramping was an almost immediate reaction..

Last edited by ACluelessOne; 05-06-2004 at 02:35 PM.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Inactive

zxc_zxc HB User

bump

Closed Thread